Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #3141
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
City Hall should give the 200 Mil for the useless downtown library to the Flames instead. Money better spent on an entertainment megaplex arena.
No.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #3142
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arena discussions seem to bring out the dumbest in everyone, especially related to tax dollars.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #3143
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
City Hall should give the 200 Mil for the useless downtown library to the Flames instead. Money better spent on an entertainment megaplex arena.
WOW. Even a Neanderthal such as myself felt this post deserved wow.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #3144
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe we could take all the books that would have gone in the library and light them on fire in Olympic Plaza. Think of the symbolism.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #3145
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Arena discussions seem to bring out the dumbest in everyone, especially related to tax dollars.
Government spending is a huge, complex and multi-leveled issue.

Message boards on the internet are about single-sentence statements. They are always going to sound stupid because there isn't room to explain opinions. Doesn't mean they are (though some are, sure).

But before you call people stupid, try to understand what's behind what they are saying.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #3146
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Maybe we could take all the books that would have gone in the library and light them on fire in Olympic Plaza. Think of the symbolism.
Why stop at the library? There's a concert hall and a few art galleries that can be torn down to make room for an arena.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #3147
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Message boards on the internet are about single-sentence statements. They are always going to sound stupid because there isn't room to explain opinions. Doesn't mean they are (though some are, sure).

But before you call people stupid, try to understand what's behind what they are saying.
What??? People choose to reply with one sentence statements, there's unlimited room to explain opinions if so desired. I'm trying to sound cordial here, but what the hell was that? lol
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #3148
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
What??? People choose to reply with one sentence statements, there's unlimited room to explain opinions if so desired. I'm trying to sound cordial here, but what the hell was that? lol
Yes, because there's nothing internet posters like more than reading long posts.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #3149
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, because there's nothing internet posters like more than reading long posts.
Oh please, plenty of long, well thought out posts get read. Textcritic writes novels for posts sometimes and routinely receives boatloads of thanks.

People generally read informative, interesting long posts. What people gloss over is the article writing wannabe posts where posters try to stretch one, simple thought into a novel in an attempt to appear smarter than they are, and that happens a lot on here.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #3150
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
King is directly involved in the day-to-day planning of this facility. He is working with a team of professionals who are advising him, like any normal project. To my knowledge, he would not have a construction lead at this point, it's too early for that.

If you think King isn't involved, you're mistaken. If you think he is involved but not part of the conceptual programming, you're also mistaken. Ken King IS the client, and at this stage, he's spearheading it. Like he should be. It's his project, he's representing his own clients, and he's who any consultant would directly be working with.

I think you're getting confused with his role during possible construction down the road with the planning stages that are going on now.
Thank you for the information.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #3151
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

People could support their ill-informed opinions as much as they want...it won't make them any less stupid.

I agree they are huge, complex issues - with lots of grey area. Taking a black or white opinion and treating the issue like it is in a vacuum is stupid.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #3152
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
And if tax dollars are used, then what? Are you going to protest? Stand at City Hall with a sandwich board and demand answers?

Does anyone protest anything about tax dollars in person in this city or is this just typical message board rabble rousing?
Calgarians protest tax spending by electing doofuses like Sean Chu, from what I can tell.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #3153
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Calgarians protest tax spending by electing doofuses like Sean Chu, from what I can tell.
This is an excellent reason to stop then
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #3154
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hate to complain bout our useless rink but I am going to once again. Going to the games and having to deal with the crap overpriced joke of a parking lot, the shoulder to shoulder concourse and the unacceptable 100 meter long lines for wash rooms and concessions makes it almost not worth being a season ticket holder anymore. We are to good of a city and to loyal a fan bases to be forced to deal with the joke of the dome. We deserve much better. Even the commish of the NHL admitted our rink is an absolute embarrassment when he was on the radio the other day.

Have some class as an organization Flames and do away with our slum home. We are to good if a city and a franchise to put up with that joke of a rink. It's embarrassing.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schraderbrau For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #3155
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
I hate to complain bout our useless rink but I am going to once again. Going to the games and having to deal with the crap overpriced joke of a parking lot, the shoulder to shoulder concourse and the unacceptable 100 meter long lines for wash rooms and concessions makes it almost not worth being a season ticket holder anymore. We are to good of a city and to loyal a fan bases to be forced to deal with the joke of the dome. We deserve much better. Even the commish of the NHL admitted our rink is an absolute embarrassment when he was on the radio the other day.

Have some class as an organization Flames and do away with our slum home. We are to good if a city and a franchise to put up with that joke of a rink. It's embarrassing.

*too
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #3156
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The city better be prepared to folk over some money towards building the world class facility it deserves then.

There's going to be a fair amount of opposition to any funds being provided to the project - as to be expected - but I honestly believe that in the end, some money is going to go towards it. It's something that will benefit the city's economy and eliminates that need for the city to build a facility of that stature for themselves down the road. And there's opposition for any major project that a lot of money is invested into. The SW Ring Road is getting some, and the goddamn Peace Bridge debate still gets debated about.

You want nice things in your city? You're gonna have to pay for it, even if it isn't operated by the city itself in some cases like arenas/stadiums. That's the standard that's been establish, and it's not gonna change anytime soon.

Last edited by Joborule; 02-01-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #3157
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What's parking these days? $15 or $20? Either way it was $50 at Bruins games so it could be worse.

I hate this "we deserve a new rink" attitude some posters have. Only 30 cities in the world have NHL teams and we're one of them. Some people just aren't grateful for what we have. Yes the washrooms suck but boohoo. First world problems. If it really means that much to you, stay home.

How about we just enjoy the fact that we have an NHL team? We all know a new building is coming eventually, so relax.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #3158
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
What's parking these days? $15 or $20? Either way it was $50 at Bruins games so it could be worse.

I hate this "we deserve a new rink" attitude some posters have. Only 30 cities in the world have NHL teams and we're one of them. Some people just aren't grateful for what we have. Yes the washrooms suck but boohoo. First world problems. If it really means that much to you, stay home.

How about we just enjoy the fact that we have an NHL team? We all know a new building is coming eventually, so relax.
I hate the attitudes that we should just be great full. We pay a fortune for our tickets and we are supposed to be a world class city. It's time we got rewarded for what we pay and shown that we are a world class city. If you can't admit that the dome is beneath our cities standards then you are crazy.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schraderbrau For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #3159
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Then send an e-mail to your aldermen ffs. The majority of the public feedback they get is moms and old people complaining about kids in their neighborhood.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #3160
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I assume your willing to pay 5-10k for a seat license for each of your seats to offset the cost of a new arena?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote