Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default This is the XFL (again)!

Looks like McMahon is bringing it back in 2020.

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/t...eturn-in-2020/

Quote:
As if 2017 was not crazy enough, 2018 has fired its opening salvo as the return of the XFL, a controversial football league originally founded by Vince McMahon in 1999, was officially announced on Thursday.

CBS Sports first reported the nature of the announcement earlier in the day and that the league is not planning to start up again until 2020. McMahon, who rushed the original XFL into existence without so much as a full slate of offseason practices to prepare for the league's inaugural year, said he learned his lesson from one of the XFL's biggest initial mistakes.

"The new XFL is an exciting opportunity to reimagine America's favorite sport," said McMahon in a statement. "As we move towards kickoff, we look forward to listening and implementing innovative ideas from players, coaches, medical experts, technology executives, the media and most importantly football fans."
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vince McMahon to relaunch the XFL. The football league will start in Jan. 2020 & have eight teams, players will be required to stand for the anthem. McMahon also said he would not allow any player with a criminal record, which would disqualify Johnny Manziel.

Who cares, Vince?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's utterly transparent that this is an attempt to get Trump cultists to watch. But I am looking forward to Trump inviting the XFL champs to the White House and not the Super Bowl champs. Only way I'd consider watching this mess is if they went full trainwreck and basically eschewed all rules and made PEDs not only legal, but required.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So we don't know much but we can speculate

There will be a team in Italy called the Roman Empire, the will be a team in Bulgarian called the Ru Ru's

the first championship game will be played on Sasha Bank's forehead.

The MVP of the first year will be Roman reigns.

They are debating putting a team in Hartford, Conneticut called the HHH Gentlemen, but they're worried that the team entrance could take several hours.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Vince McMahon to relaunch the XFL. The football league will start in Jan. 2020 & have eight teams, players will be required to stand for the anthem. McMahon also said he would not allow any player with a criminal record, which would disqualify Johnny Manziel.

Who cares, Vince?
Honestly even though he said Trump isn't involved... this has Trump written all over it too.

Always has hated the NFL for not giving him a franchise, is good buddy with Vince, and has been thrashing the NFL since becoming president.

The whole safer, family friendly, stand for anthem, no criminal record, etc etc reads like a Republican drop sheet.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Everyone should watch the XFL 30 for 30. It was quite good. Bob Costas comes across as just as much of an obnoxious dbag as you'd expect.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's fronting $100 million but is that enough to kick start the league from scratch? I get that this is his dream but it's simply doomed to fail again. Sounds like he's hoping for his games to be picked up by a streaming provider and maybe not necessarily network TV.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can watch all the games on the XFL network for only $9.99 per month
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's utterly transparent that this is an attempt to get Trump cultists to watch.
Head Cheerleader Stormy Daniels?

Seriously, this is a terrible idea. Like... World Bodybuilding Federation level bad. "We're going to re-start the XFL... except without all the things that made the XFL worth checking out to begin with!".

Last edited by Parallex; 01-25-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Head Cheerleader Stormy Daniels?

Seriously, this is a terrible idea. Like... World Bodybuilding Federation level bad.
There are few sports leagues in the USA that can compete with the NFL. Theres NASCAR, MLB and I'm not sure about the NBA, but the NFL is not a league I'd want to go toe-to-toe with as a startup. They have basically limitless capital, both financial and emotional.

Whats the competitive edge that the XFL has going for it this time?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There are few sports leagues in the USA that can compete with the NFL. Theres NASCAR, MLB and I'm not sure about the NBA, but the NFL is not a league I'd want to go toe-to-toe with as a startup. They have basically limitless capital, both financial and emotional.

The players will stand for the anthem, apparently (although I bet some still won't).
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Zilch. Last time you tuned in for the extra violence and overly sexualized cheerleaders... what's the hook here? "Tune in to watch employee's stand for the national anthem... some against their will!"

Extra Family Friendly 2nd Rate Football... woooo. I'm sitting here thinking... without the "edgy" stuff what can he do? The only thing I came up with is tinker around with the field and the downs (AKA Canadian Football). Doubt it.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They tried to make the XFL unique last time.

They used CFL rules like no fair catch, the bizarre ball chase instead of a coin flip. One foot in.

They also tried to make it a combination of UFC and WWE, they wanted story lines to go with legitimate results.

On top or that they had some really stunningly good ideas around the presentation of the game including the camera work.

It could have worked too, the NFL was stale and boring and arrogant, and they were having a tough time selling tickets, and the owners were closed minded.

But it failed for a few reasons, but mostly around the sport itself.

They failed because while they went out and got a lot of young hungry guys that were at the end of their football lives, that weren't good enough for the NFL, and didn't want to play in the CFL. But they didn't get those stars that you need to survive. The USFL had it right, they spent money to bring in these young exciting young players to build the league around. the Kelly's, the Fluties, the Dickersons. You wanted to see these guys play.

The XFL had Tommy Maddox.

On top of that the coaches didn't get the message around making the league exciting and taking advantage of the rules. They were in the business of using what they knew, which was boring grinding football, safe football. And they didn't want to play the story line games with the interviews and cheerleaders. They wanted to play safe and get paychecks and they knew they didn't have the players to do anything but play basic football.

The XFL was so focused on the glamour of the league that they didn't focus on the game itself and didn't have enough training camp time, didn't have the really innovative offensive and defensive coaches that the NFL didn't want. They didn't have the exciting talent.

Trust me, I think this is going to fail. By the time the college bowl games are over and the Super Bowl is done, people are burned out on football, they move on to a different sport for a while, or actually spend time with their families. The timeline is going to fail hard.

But how can it work.

If you're going to change the rules, go out and recruit the exciting and dynamic college players that might not mould into an NFL playbook. Go grab that RPO QB that's expected to slide in the draft, and build an offense around him. Sign that undersized but blazingly fast running back, or that linebacker that's a bit small but a monster hitter.

And then target 5 or 6 of the top prospects and open the vault.

Then pay them do nothing but train and learn your game for a year. Hold a bunch of mini camps and then a major training camp.

At the same time do what they did last time, find a new way to present the game, use a virtual reality option so it feels like your in the stands, or pacing on the side lines.

If they do that, maybe they can succeed, i doubt it though.

Oh and name me the Head Coach of the Arizona Legend Killers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #14
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way this will survive is if they adopt CFL rules on a CFL size field.

Say what you will about the CFL but their rules are infinitely better than NFL rules.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
The only way this will survive is if they adopt CFL rules on a CFL size field.

Say what you will about the CFL but their rules are infinitely better than NFL rules.
Oh yes, the rouge is some next level stuff...

Also knocking a ball out of bounds equals possession in the CFL, that is beyond dumb.

Last edited by Flacker; 01-25-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #16
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hate it, only because I'm worried about it affecting CFL talent. Especially with imports obviously. Hoping it turns out the same way as the original XFL did.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #17
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Oh yes, the rouge is some next level stuff...

Also knocking a ball out of bounds equals possession in the CFL, that is beyond dumb.
Better than kneeling down to run out the clock the final 2 minutes of the game because the QB squandered a time out in the 3rd quarter or the special teams had to call one because they were short a man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Better than kneeling down to run out the clock the final 2 minutes of the game because the QB squandered a time out in the 3rd quarter or the special teams had to call one because they were short a man.
Yeah clock management, it is a part of real football.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd like to see them adopt some CFL rules

No fair catch, put in the 5 yard sphere of catching

One foot in and down

shorter play clock.

I'd also like to see the ability to declare a series of tempo football no huddle.

oh and for the convert instead of kicking a football through the uprights they have to kick a little person through the uprights.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #20
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Yeah clock management, it is a part of real football.
real football. So you can squeeze 45 commercials into a quarter of play. The NFL still doesn't even know what a catch is.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post: