Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #221
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think he's just talking about the $$ difference between EE and Kendrys.
Yeah that makes sense.

I like the Cuban signing, but it's not currently a need with our infield unless they plan on converting Travis.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #222
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Morales isn't even in the same league as Edwin. Typical Rogers move. Pick up a tier two free agent who they don't have to give term to. I don't know why I actually tricked myself nto believing the Jays would resign Edwin. I should Know better by now.
Morales hit 30 at Kauffman. If healthy, in any other ballpark that's a 35-40 HR hitter. At Rogers Centre and playing in the AL East, even bigger bump.

This is a great signing, IMO. You get Morales, who's the same age as EE, at half the cost and still allow yourself to improve the outfield.

Forget Rogers, that's just a smart business decision by the new regime. I love this deal.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #223
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Rick Westhead ‏@rwesthead
Edwin's agent says of Morales: "He doesn't play first. He's a DH." So maybe Jays still open to bidding for Encarnacion.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #224
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Probabl won't happen, but if they could have Morales at DH, EE at first, someone to replace Jose in right and fire Smoak out of Toronto and into orbit I'd be over the moon.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #225
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Probabl won't happen, but if they could have Morales at DH, EE at first, someone to replace Jose in right and fire Smoak out of Toronto and into orbit I'd be over the moon.
Getting rid of Smoak would make me over the moon happy.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #226
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Rick Westhead ‏@rwesthead
Edwin's agent says of Morales: "He doesn't play first. He's a DH." So maybe Jays still open to bidding for Encarnacion.
I agree. I am thinking more of Blue Jays saying goodbye to Jose Bautista more than saying to bye to Encarnacion. I still think the Jays will sign EE but not the amount EE and group are asking for. Probably something in the middle.

On another note, I am so glad R.A. Dickey signed with the Braves. I never like a pitcher who is only useful for one pitch and absolutely hated knuckleballers.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #227
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

TAO

If this is the last move it's terrible

I'm not even saying I support letting these guys go

But if they spend 50 million and get 2 first round picks it may be a better strategy
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #228
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
TAO

If this is the last move it's terrible

I'm not even saying I support letting these guys go

But if they spend 50 million and get 2 first round picks it may be a better strategy
We'll see what they do, but I'll be surprised if they don't go with Morales as DH and Smoak at first.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #229
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's say it's Reddick in right , Morales at DH. Smoak (god no) and someone at 1st platooning .

For easy math say Reddick gets 10 mil a year .

Now you sign Melacon to act like a Miller in Clev (well he's going to SF but let's pretend) for 12.5 a year .

That's leave about 5-7 mil for another bullpen arm, at what EE and JB would cost .

We loose about 7 WAR on bats and pick up 3-4 WAR on bullpen.

Is 2-3 WAR worth 2 first round picks ....?

(Obviously all theoretical)
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #230
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Looks like Jesse Chavez is going to Anaheim to be one of their starters.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #231
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like EE just fine but if the rumors are remotely close that it's going to take over 100mill to sign him I would pass too if I were the Jays. He isn't worth that and I definetly don't think he would be over a 4 or 5 year contract.

I like Morales. Put up good numbers In a pitcher friendly ball park and he can use all fields and switch hit. I think it's solid value for the Jays and a good start to the offseason.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #232
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'd be pretty cool if the Jays could get some kind of bargain on Reddick.

He'd be the perfect platoon guy with Upton in left or right field.

His splits are insanely favored towards right handed pitching, and Upton puts up decent numbers against lefties.

I think Reddick is going to cost too much to be used as a platoon guy though, and probably isn't interested in signing somewhere he'll be used in that way.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #233
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It'd be pretty cool if the Jays could get some kind of bargain on Reddick.

He'd be the perfect platoon guy with Upton in left or right field.

His splits are insanely favored towards right handed pitching, and Upton puts up decent numbers against lefties.

I think Reddick is going to cost too much to be used as a platoon guy though, and probably isn't interested in signing somewhere he'll be used in that way.
Why would we need to platoon him though? We have one, if not two completely open spots in the outfield.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #234
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Why would we need to platoon him though? We have one, if not two completely open spots in the outfield.
True enough. I guess the thought came more from me not wanting Upton to be a full time starter next season. It'd be nice to have a decent lefty to platoon with him, but I guess the Jays could sign/trade for someone else and use Reddick full time in RF if they sign him.

Maybe Zeke or Pompey could platoon with Upton too I suppose.

I'm still hoping they get Fowler though.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #235
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I like EE just fine but if the rumors are remotely close that it's going to take over 100mill to sign him I would pass too if I were the Jays. He isn't worth that and I definetly don't think he would be over a 4 or 5 year contract.

I like Morales. Put up good numbers In a pitcher friendly ball park and he can use all fields and switch hit. I think it's solid value for the Jays and a good start to the offseason.
Today they said his short list is down to 5 teams but only 3 will be able to make serious offers, including the Blue Jays. Considering his two biggest needs were a comfortable location (Toronto reportedly number one in this regard for him) and a team that is serious about contending, I could see it.

It gives me hope that Toronto gives a last minute "this is the best we can do with what we're building here" offer that's a couple million a year less than the other two teams but Edwin takes it anyway for the familiarity.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #236
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Today they said his short list is down to 5 teams but only 3 will be able to make serious offers, including the Blue Jays. Considering his two biggest needs were a comfortable location (Toronto reportedly number one in this regard for him) and a team that is serious about contending, I could see it.

It gives me hope that Toronto gives a last minute "this is the best we can do with what we're building here" offer that's a couple million a year less than the other two teams but Edwin takes it anyway for the familiarity.
I can't see it. Even a good salary for EE at this point will be close to $20 million a year.

That would put the jays at close to $150 million committed with an outfield of Pillar-Upton-Carerra and a bullpen with nobody reliable after Osuna and Grilli and where the #1 lefty is Aaron Loup. *shudder*

I keep seeing $160 million payroll for the Jays, if true $10 million wouldn't leave much room to improve those areas.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #237
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno... he's the heavy side of the platoon. That's probably 97 games as a starter + pinch hit appearances + extras due to injury/maintenance days. He probably plays 75% of a normal workload.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #238
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I dunno... he's the heavy side of the platoon. That's probably 97 games as a starter + pinch hit appearances + extras due to injury/maintenance days. He probably plays 75% of a normal workload.
Very true.

So what would be a good price for him do you think?

$10-11 million?

Seems like the market for him is hard to call.

One thing I like about him over Fowler besides salary is that it wouldn't cost the Jays a pick to sign Reddick.

Reddick + Morales for ~$20 million-ish plus 3 first round picks is really appealing.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #239
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Very true.

So what would be a good price for him do you think?

$10-11 million?

Seems like the market for him is hard to call.

One thing I like about him over Fowler besides salary is that it wouldn't cost the Jays a pick to sign Reddick.

Reddick + Morales for ~$20 million-ish plus 3 first round picks is really appealing.
This is my thoughts... A Reddick/Upton strict platoon probably replaces Jose's value (normal value... not down year value), But Morales does not replace Edwin. We therefor need a replacement for Saunders who fully replaces his value + the difference between EE and Morales... that's a tall order. If the Jays have the $$ they should burn it + the pick and get both Reddick and Fowler.

I guess I'd put Reddick in the 10M range.

Last edited by Parallex; 11-12-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #240
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #BlueJays interested in Steve Pearce, possibly as RH platoon partner for Smoak at 1B. @Shidavidi first mentioned possibility.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote