Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #441
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
I can only imagine your anxiety facing that, so its good to hear he made the top team.

I've just gone through community evals for my PeeWee goalie son and frustrating doesn't even touch the surface of the process.

I hate questioning things because I feel like I come across as "that parent" thinking my kid is the greatest in the world, but it really isn't that. I simply want my kid to be fairly placed where his skill level should have him - instead it seems like he's been the victim of an early "clerical error", which has dogged him and been a boat anchor on his final ranking.

The teams haven't even been picked yet, but I'm honestly concerned with how my kid will react to his placement and how it'll affect his future in the position. I try to have good talks with him every day about how this is 1 year of PeeWee and it isn't going to affect what he can do in the future, but he's 11 and seeing kids of lower skill levels being invited to higher up skates is crushing on him.
If that is the case then you should be able to appeal and have the evaluation committee review his numbers. Many associations have a pretty steep cost associated with this so you would need to decide whether it is worth the cost but if they truly made an error and have not realized it (sometimes they do as the process goes on) then they should have no problem placing a player appropriately.

One more eval session for my daughter but we know 99% where she will play (which division), just not on which team. Team formations are really late this year and from what I hear the tournament window request cut off for the league is only a couple of days after the teams are announced which leaves very little time to look for tournaments.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #442
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Pee Wee hockey coach suspended for making team do push-ups

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.asp...-ups&id=592249
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #443
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Pee Wee hockey coach suspended for making team do push-ups

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.asp...-ups&id=592249
I am sure it was their lack of push up ability that caused the loss.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #444
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump....wanted to see about recommendations for power skating schools in Calgary for Timbits age during spring or summer. Son will complete Jr Timbits in March. Probably prefer once a week over a few months instead of all in one week.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #445
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We saw this odd situation in my son's bantam game last week. The other team had one goalie and he got injured early in the third period. They sent another boy to the dressing room to put on the equipment. They had to play with six skaters and no goalie until the back-up came in with about 5 minutes left. They actually performed better without the goalie, and tied the game.

Our team went on a power play - the other team was allowed to ice the puck still, though they had five skaters on the ice. I think that was the correct application of the rules.

We ended up scoring twice on the back-up, and won the game. The back-up got a big ovation, and he seemed just happy for the chance to try it.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #446
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We saw this odd situation in my son's bantam game last week. The other team had one goalie and he got injured early in the third period. They sent another boy to the dressing room to put on the equipment. They had to play with six skaters and no goalie until the back-up came in with about 5 minutes left. They actually performed better without the goalie, and tied the game.

Our team went on a power play - the other team was allowed to ice the puck still, though they had five skaters on the ice. I think that was the correct application of the rules.

We ended up scoring twice on the back-up, and won the game. The back-up got a big ovation, and he seemed just happy for the chance to try it.
Don't all teams in Peewee and higher have two goalies? I think that even most higher level atom teams have two goalies.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #447
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Bump....wanted to see about recommendations for power skating schools in Calgary for Timbits age during spring or summer. Son will complete Jr Timbits in March. Probably prefer once a week over a few months instead of all in one week.
Winsport has a good skating/hockey school program.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #448
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Don't all teams in Peewee and higher have two goalies? I think that even most higher level atom teams have two goalies.
Generally yes, it sometimes a kid is sick, or unable to come to the game. Most teams will affiliate another goalie from a lower seeded team, but sometimes in minor hockey team 2 and 3 maybe be playing at similar times

Last year my son was the only goalie on his bantam team. Made it tough when he was not playing well or you were always nervous about him getting hurt and it costing us a game.

For the playoffs, we tried to ensure we had a backup goalie on the bench, but it was not always possible.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #449
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have an 08 kid heading to any of the Brick Series Events this year?

My son is playing for the Boston Jr Bruins again this spring and we are headed to Minnesota for the Coast 2 Coast tournament early in June. We have only played on the east coast to this point but i think it will be cool for him to see some teams and kids that we haven't seen before.

We will also be heading to the Shamrock Invite, Boston Showdown and Montreal Meltdown this spring.

What are everyone's spring plans this year?

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #450
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post

Biking, camping, hiking, some lacrosse and rugby.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #451
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

My son is playing for the Boston Jr Bruins again this spring and we are headed to Minnesota for the Coast 2 Coast tournament early in June. We have only played on the east coast to this point but i think it will be cool for him to see some teams and kids that we haven't seen before.

We will also be heading to the Shamrock Invite, Boston Showdown and Montreal Meltdown this spring.

My son is in his first year atom. For spring we are doing a small camp put on by a few coaches. Then it will be soccer. Late summer will be a a few hockey camps, clinics and powerskating.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #452
Csquared
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
University of Calgary has good programs although at that age I would generally recommend skating lessons over power skating programs as they will learn better technique and there is a lower coach to child ratio.
Csquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #453
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was on the fence about putting my son (2007) in spring hockey again this year. I left it up to him and it took him a couple weeks to give me an answer. Last night I even told him it wasn't too late to back out if he didn't want to play, but he said he wants to play. Kind of sucks since we can't play elite baseball and play spring hockey at the same time.

His winter season was kind of disappointing. He made the Tier 1 Atom team as a first year defenseman. He has improved tremendously and gets a lot of playing time. But his team stinks, and has only won three league games all season. Looking forward to next season.

Last edited by burn_baby_burn; 02-08-2017 at 04:48 PM.
burn_baby_burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #454
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

It sounds like he has had an awesome year if he has improved tremendously. I've always thought parents get too excited over wins and losses where they should be focusing more on if their child developed over the year and felt like he learned lots.

Spring hockey is okay, but sometimes I think parents feel if they spend more they will play on a "better" team then the cheaper teams, when at the end game all of our kids are playing beer league anyways.

Your son play in Chestermere?
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #455
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
It sounds like he has had an awesome year if he has improved tremendously. I've always thought parents get too excited over wins and losses where they should be focusing more on if their child developed over the year and felt like he learned lots.

Spring hockey is okay, but sometimes I think parents feel if they spend more they will play on a "better" team then the cheaper teams, when at the end game all of our kids are playing beer league anyways.

Your son play in Chestermere?
No, Red Deer. Red Deer babies the kids in Novice, it's city league only, half ice with no score. And they will not let any kids play up, even if they are scoring 20+ goals in the 40 minute run time game. So in the past we were looking for more after the minor hockey season and spring hockey provided that. My son loved it because he was playing with kids with similar talent and it was a lot more competitive. Now that he is in Atom and playing Tier I, I'm kind of hockey'd out(Don't know if it's in the dictionary, but I use the term all the time). A lot bigger time commitment for sure. So I left it solely up to him if he wanted to play spring this year. He told me he wants to play, so we are committed to at least one more spring season. His regular season ended yesterday and his team didn't make the playoffs. So we have around six weeks off until the spring season gets under way.

Last edited by burn_baby_burn; 02-13-2017 at 10:22 AM.
burn_baby_burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #456
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

CAHL league is a time commitment even at the Novice level. Seems like we have travelled a bit further this year, but the overall amount of games is the same. In fact, we played less games last year at Tier 1 Novice then we have Tier 2 Atom this year due to provincial playdowns. We do have some kids that should be playing Tier 1, but in a smaller community you just don't have the depth and number of kids to always make it possible, especially at key positions like goalie.

You have some feisty kids on that team, as we do. I understand one of your kids and one of our kids almost got into a fight when we played each other. I, unfortunately, missed that game being stuck at work on a rare Saturday shift.

Best of luck in the spring season, you guys playing on the Rustler team entering tournaments at the Gold level? One of our kids plays on that team.

If our kids get booted from the playoffs early would your team want to play an exhibition game? Let me know and I can our team's manager reach out to your team.

Last edited by Deegee; 02-13-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #457
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think our team is up to playing anymore games. It's been a rough year and everyone is looking foward to the season being over.

A fight? I was in the score box for that game and don't recall anything out of the ordinary. But I don't always remember everything either.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #458
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boys elite in Alberta has started playoffs this week in both bantam and midget levels. The Female elite stream looks like they will play regular season games March 5 weekend then begin playoffs. This season has been a little more interesting for me to follow as my kids are this age and know/go to school with many of the kids playing on these teams (both male and female) and it has been fascinating seeing who has been drafted to junior, who has committed to college etc.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #459
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a bunch of ####ing idiots.

We have been lucky to avoid this type of individual this year, but friends have not.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/02/2...able-incidents

Quote:
Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #460
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this a rule specific to your local association?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote