Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Ken King be fired?
Yes 204 76.40%
No 63 23.60%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #101
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

King made Elliott play like a bag of ####!

I knew it
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #102
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
I'd like to change my vote...Wasn't thinking about his finger needing to be in anything. Why the hell have Burke, if hockey-related issues have to pass through King?

Burke has been known to make some spontaneous bad decisions such as the Ron Wilson extension (and I like Burke). If I was in King's seat I'd want final the approval check.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #103
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I was in Tre's seat I wouldn't want either's final approval check.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #104
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
i don't see how this proves anything. I don't think GMs would state anything otherwise. Don't want to, potentially, burn any bridges.
Why does Yzerman not give Treliving more than 15 minutes for sign off considering the deal came several days before the deadline. Rumor screams orange Julius to me.

Flames faces Bishop the night before the deadline so I can't see that ruining the deal.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #105
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Why does Yzerman not give Treliving more than 15 minutes for sign off considering the deal came several days before the deadline. Rumor screams orange Julius to me.

Flames faces Bishop the night before the deadline so I can't see that ruining the deal.
This is unimaginative on your part. There are so many moving parts involved in a trade now, which is one of the main reasons you don't see many of them during the year.

You're talking about a player with a 6 million dollar cap hit and an 8 team no trade clause, a franchise dealing with a hard cap as well as a budget, Calculating injury reserve and overages and managing call ups on a day to day basis to maximize financial flexibility.

Trades are freakin' hard to pull off and the bigger the cap hit the harder it is to do a deal. Tampa at the time needed all the flexibility they could muster to simultaneously still try to push for a playoff spot while positioning themselves in the best possible way for free agency and next season.

Deadlines are deadlines, you either meet them or you don't.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #106
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is unimaginative on your part. There are so many moving parts involved in a trade now, which is one of the main reasons you don't see many of them during the year.

You're talking about a player with a 6 million dollar cap hit and an 8 team no trade clause, a franchise dealing with a hard cap as well as a budget, Calculating injury reserve and overages and managing call ups on a day to day basis to maximize financial flexibility.

Trades are freakin' hard to pull off and the bigger the cap hit the harder it is to do a deal. Tampa at the time needed all the flexibility they could muster to simultaneously still try to push for a playoff spot while positioning themselves in the best possible way for free agency and next season.

Deadlines are deadlines, you either meet them or you don't.

Or I a skeptical about a random poster saying he heard there was a deal in place for Bishop less than a week before the deadline and no one could get a hold of Ken King for 15 minutes and the deal died.

It is not completely out of the realm of possibility but seems like a stretch with no proof other than "Mods PM me for source"

The Flames were rolling at the deadline and Elliott looked like the real deal. I wanted Bishop at the time but understood why the organization did not make a move.

LA also moved a 2nd in the deal which is an asset the Flames used on Lazar. Maybe with Elliott playing well and the want for a 22 year old reclamation project the Flames opted to go that route?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #107
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Getting rid of King would be the best off-season move.

It would be bold.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #108
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Or I a skeptical about a random poster saying he heard there was a deal in place for Bishop less than a week before the deadline and no one could get a hold of Ken King for 15 minutes and the deal died.

It is not completely out of the realm of possibility but seems like a stretch with no proof other than "Mods PM me for source"

The Flames were rolling at the deadline and Elliott looked like the real deal. I wanted Bishop at the time but understood why the organization did not make a move.

LA also moved a 2nd in the deal which is an asset the Flames used on Lazar. Maybe with Elliott playing well and the want for a 22 year old reclamation project the Flames opted to go that route?
Or maybe they didn't want a GM on the way out to add significant salary for next season and beyond.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #109
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Or maybe they didn't want a GM on the way out to add significant salary for next season and beyond.
Bishop is a UFA so that ends that theory
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #110
daredevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Again, don't overly care if you believe me or not.
I'm not saying I was sitting beside Treliving when it went down.
Simply passing on what I was told by a credible source about the situation.
Person could be wrong too, but no reason for me to believe that it's not likely.

I've been a member of this board for about 15 years and am not in the habit of rumormongering.

Also the deal with LA was (not sure where 2nd round pick or the Lazar tie in comes from):
In exchange for Bishop and a 2017 fifth-round pick, Tampa received goaltender Peter Budaj, defensive prospect Erik Cernak, a 2017 seventh-round pick, plus a conditional pick from the Kings.
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daredevil For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #111
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Guys, he's the CEO and directly responsible for all aspects of the organization, he has the right to understand what's happening below him and give approval otherwise its his head on the line.

Meddling in hockey ops? Seems like a rumour more than anything.

And calgary next, yes it sucks. Personally I think it was just a front for whatever plan B is. No one could be that dumb to put out a plan like that.

The Fact that he got Burke and Tre here is something we shouldn't forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Ken King shot someone in the middle of the street, would you still support him?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #112
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Burke has been known to make some spontaneous bad decisions such as the Ron Wilson extension (and I like Burke). If I was in King's seat I'd want final the approval check.
Isn't that why you have a President of Hockey Operations, though? To make the final decisions? Why hire him, if he nor Brad still can't make the final hockey related decisions?

Why doesn't King just make himself the President of Hockey Relations if he has to have the last say on trades, etc.

Or, if Treliving has an issue with who is making the final decisions with hockey- related issues, maybe's it more with Burke than King?!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #113
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Person could be wrong too, but no reason for me to believe that it's not likely.

I've been a member of this board for about 15 years and am not in the habit of rumormongering.

Also the deal with LA was (not sure where 2nd round pick or the Lazar tie in comes from):
In exchange for Bishop and a 2017 fifth-round pick, Tampa received goaltender Peter Budaj, defensive prospect Erik Cernak, a 2017 seventh-round pick, plus a conditional pick from the Kings.

I heard this same thing from a very credible source as well, in regards to a deal for Bishop that was basically a done deal but mysteriously fell through with very little communication as to why.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #114
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
If Ken King shot someone in the middle of the street, would you still support him?
Did he shoot someone in the middle of the street?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #115
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Terrible primary jerseys that we've been stuck with for 9 years, no arena in development and nothing imminent, a young but middling team that isn't winning the city over right now. Feels stagnant.

The club needs someone that will get things DONE. Keep the team exciting and relevant. Not just talk about something that will happen for a decade straight, while nothing happens. And put out a shoddy proposal that isn't realistic and people/the city won't get behind and say that's the only plan they had, while giving us artwork that could've been made by a junior high student. How are you supposed to excite people with that? Just awful preparation. We need more on that end, without any form of meddling on the hockey end. We have enough hockey brains here, they can do their jobs just fine.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-21-2017 at 01:57 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #116
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd echo what dj posted. King couldn't even generate excitement amongst what should have been the core support for NEXT.

I also had the good fortune to be in Calgary when the Flames made the playoffs. Then he goes and sucks the life out of any excitement from bandwagoners that could have been generated by not threatening to move the team.

The guy has to go because if this level of incompetence continues, we could be losing our team.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #117
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I should have prefaced that I am not accusing you of making anything up and do not want to come across as attacking the messenger as I appreciate when people share tidbits like this. Your source is likely rock solid but unless it is Treliving,Burke, Conroy, or King then there is reasonable doubt.

For instance I have a family member who is close with someone high up with the Vegas Golden Knights and I have been given tidbits about that team for a while and not all of them have been true.

I appreciate you sharing that info
Old 04-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #118
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I think that was the deal at the draft for Bishop you are thinking about.

Yzerman was fairly active at the deadline... so who knows why the deadline, maybe is was due to another deal he was working?
Could be. Still think the Flames would have been interested in an extension with Bishop and probably felt that if they had it at the draft, they probably could still get it done at the deadline.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:54 PM   #119
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hate Ken King because he has never read the jersey forum.

And also CalgaryNext

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #120
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just reminded of stupid "Forever a Flame" when posting in another thread. Was that King's idea? Another reason he should be fired.