Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Fans are really high on Gillies eh? He really hasn't been that great in the AHL and IMO he needs at least one more full season down there. I wonder how man people that voted are hardcore fans as you would think the average fan may not be as concerned with Sigalet yet more than 50% want him gone.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #22
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Fans are really high on Gillies eh? He really hasn't been that great in the AHL and IMO he needs at least one more full season down there.
Probably, I suspect that a lot of it is that he got that game in at the end of the year and was really good in that game. I mean few people actually watch the AHL so the only eye's on experience they have with Gillies is that 1 game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wonder how man people that voted are hardcore fans as you would think the average fan may not be as concerned with Sigalet yet more than 50% want him gone.
Goaltending was (rightly) identified as an issue. Sigalet has "Goaltending" in his job title so he's a convenient scapegoat/downvote. I think the goaltending coach bares less responsibility when you have a veteran tandem like we did this year. Honestly the only coach I downvoted was Cameron because of how inconsistent the PP was this year.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #23
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Goaltending was (rightly) identified as an issue. Sigalet has "Goaltending" in his job title so he's a convenient scapegoat/downvote. I think the goaltending coach bares less responsibility when you have a veteran tandem like we did this year. Honestly the only coach I downvoted was Cameron because of how inconsistent the PP was this year.

I voted to get rid of Sigalet as goaltending has consistently been a problem while he was here, no matter who the actual individuals were. There was little if any improvements during any particular year and perhaps even some regression, which does not speak highly to any coaching that they were provided.

If PP inconsistency is a reason to down vote someone (despite the huge improvements from start of year to end of year) then goaltender inconsistency is certainly a valid reason to down vote Sigalet
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #24
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
If PP inconsistency is a reason to down vote someone (despite the huge improvements from start of year to end of year) then goaltender inconsistency is certainly a valid reason to down vote Sigalet
Disagree. There are set plays, tactics, personnel selection, and systems to a PP. None of which really applies to goaltending. It's (relatively) easy to identify coaching issues (vs. player/execution issues) with a PP from what we can see. Not so with goaltending coaching.

I'm not saying Sigalet isn't to blame... I just don't think I (or anyone else outside the org really) can justifiably say that he is.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

My issue with sigalet is the goaltenders appear to have below average years under him. This could be defense and adjusting to systems but I don't think any goaltenders had above career average years here
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #26
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. There are set plays, tactics, personnel selection, and systems to a PP.
Agree, but it also has to respond to what the opposition does to counteract the PP. An effective PK would cause PP inconsistency, and if the PP morphs in response to it, it shows that the coaching exists and is effective. We saw that during the year, the strategies changed in response to what the PK was doing. I don't see that as bad.

Quote:
None of which really applies to goaltending. It's (relatively) easy to identify coaching issues (vs. player/execution issues) with a PP from what we can see. Not so with goaltending coaching.
I don't agree. When teams started going high on Johnson, he didn't adapt as soon as he should have. This is on coaching to identify shooter trends against a goaltender and help the goaltender to adapt. I didn't see the adaptation.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
My issue with sigalet is the goaltenders appear to have below average years under him. This could be defense and adjusting to systems but I don't think any goaltenders had above career average years here
Moose may be the only example of this, but apart from that most of the goalies were unproven (Ortio, Ramo) or on the decline (Hiller).
Crud in crud out.
I'm not opposed to a change, but I don't think it will have an impact unless the Flames commit to actually upgrading the position.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #28
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies is at least another year away of being a full-time backup. He's been bouncing between hot and cold in the AHL, with Rittich taking over during his cold spells. I think we'll see him start a handful of games this year (probably as injury relief) while polishing his game up in the A.

Gotta be patient with goalies - look how much time the good young goalies like Pickard, Murray, Jones spent in the A.