Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #281
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I have absolutely 0 interest in Monahan attempting to add a physical aspect to his game and ending up like Daniel Sedin.

Soft players shouldn't be making targets of themselves by engaging in on-ice activities where they are out of their element.

Do you mean when Sedin was rag dolled by Marchand? I thought that was a turning point in that series.

I'd love to see an angry Monahan just once.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #282
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
Time to call up Hathaway and have him agitate the hell out of the ducks.
Playoffs are a different game and I think Hathaway will be called up. Together Hathaway and Lazar can add some grit and that should serve notice to a guy like Bouma. Create some competition on a game by game basis. Show some jam or sit the hell down!
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #283
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Do you mean when Sedin was rag dolled by Marchand? I thought that was a turning point in that series.

It might just be a gut thing, but I think players who don't really have the personality for physicality make themselves a dangerous target when they try to add it to their game.

Duncan Keith is a dirty son of a bitch...which is why unless you're also a dirty son of a bitch, you shouldn't get down in the dirt with him:

Monahan getting involved with Kesler physically is a no-win situation for the Flames.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #284
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
Time to call up Hathaway and have him agitate the hell out of the ducks.
Was literally coming to say the same thing. If the Flames draw the Ducks in round one Hathaway needs to get into the lineup to add some more grit.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #285
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if Monahan isn't a good fighter, what's the point in him getting into a fight, just to enjoy a beat down and pump up the other team? Plus be absent for five minutes?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #286
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

July 1, 2016:
"Wow that is quickly going to be an anchor of a contract. Brouwer's alleged intangibles don't make up for his poor two-way play - which is already in decline. At least he's a decent net-front presence on the PP"
"It's a great signing. The Flames need size and grit and toughness and experience, which he brings. Consistent 40-point guy!"

Mid-February, 2017:
"Brouwer has been exactly as expected: an awful two-way player, and little in the way of grit or toughness. Can't believe the Flames signed up for three more years of this"
"Just watch, he'll bring it in the stretch drive and playoffs. This is the time of year he's made for and why the Flames signed him. He's just getting used to the system."

April 5, 2017:
"Brouwer has been awful in the stretch drive, and in a heated game against a hated rival completely backed down, leaving the dirty work to guys like Stajan and Monahan. Only three more years. Come on, Vegas, help the Flames out"
"Just wait, he'll step it up in the playoffs. He always does! That's what he's here for. Good in the room! Leadership!"

God, I hope the third time is the charm and the Brouwer supporters are finally right, because his play has been an absolute joke. Come on, Brouwer, turn on your elite intangibles and go on a hot streak.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #287
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
July 1, 2016:
"Wow that is quickly going to be an anchor of a contract. Brouwer's alleged intangibles don't make up for his poor two-way play - which is already in decline. At least he's a decent net-front presence on the PP"
"It's a great signing. The Flames need size and grit and toughness and experience, which he brings. Consistent 40-point guy!"

Mid-February, 2017:
"Brouwer has been exactly as expected: an awful two-way player, and little in the way of grit or toughness. Can't believe the Flames signed up for three more years of this"
"Just watch, he'll bring it in the stretch drive and playoffs. This is the time of year he's made for and why the Flames signed him. He's just getting used to the system."

April 5, 2017:
"Brouwer has been awful in the stretch drive, and in a heated game against a hated rival completely backed down, leaving the dirty work to guys like Stajan and Monahan. Only three more years. Come on, Vegas, help the Flames out"
"Just wait, he'll step it up in the playoffs. He always does! That's what he's here for. Good in the room! Leadership!"

God, I hope the third time is the charm and the Brouwer supporters are finally right, because his play has been an absolute joke. Come on, Brouwer, turn on your elite intangibles and go on a hot streak.
Nice strawman you have there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #288
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Thread title is wrong. Kesler has no friends.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #289
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'm just looking at the ice-times for the game now. What the what?

Brouwer played 13:09
Bouma played 12:06
Stajan played 13:19

Monahan played 13:26
Gaudreau played 13:11
Ferland played 10:20

...and we expected to win?
That's called resting the top end players
Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #290
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post

I think what he's saying is there is no mean Monahan. He just isn't that kind of guy.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #291
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'm just looking at the ice-times for the game now. What the what?

Brouwer played 13:09
Bouma played 12:06
Stajan played 13:19

Monahan played 13:26
Gaudreau played 13:11
Ferland played 10:20

...and we expected to win?
Also no risk on hurting our top players in a really meaningless game. I think the team knows its not going to crack the top 3.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #292
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
So as it stands:

C1. Chicago 108 pts
W2. Nashville 92 pts (38 ROW)

and

P1. Anaheim 101 pts
W1. Calgary 92 pts (38 ROW)

Nashville plays Thursday in Dallas, and Saturday in Winnipeg to end the season.
Calgary plays Thursday in LA, and Saturday in San Jose to end the season.

Edmonton is also 4 pts back of Anaheim, with remaining games vs SJ, VAN, and VAN. While Anaheim gets Chicago and LA still.

Still a lot of movement is possible. Hoping for a BOA as it gives the Flames the best chance of winning. Though a loss to Edmonton would ruin my summer.

We have 40 Rows.
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #293
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
We have 40 Rows.
Oops, you're right!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #294
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darren Haynes‏@DarrenWHaynes

I have never lauded the Brouwer contract but I've been very patient with the 'wait and see'. But waited another 60 mins Tuesday and nothing.

Hopefully, the playoffs can wake him up.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #295
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Darren Haynes‏@DarrenWHaynes

I have never lauded the Brouwer contract but I've been very patient with the 'wait and see'. But waited another 60 mins Tuesday and nothing.

Hopefully, the playoffs can wake him up.
Even if the playoffs wake him up... Is that enough? Considering his salary, the letter he wears and the spot in the lineup he takes he better be bringing something big.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #296
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering his age and play this year, I don't know why people are still surprised that Brouwer is not a useful hockey player anymore. He is what he is. I don't think his play will improve.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #297
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't over the moon with the Brouwer signing, but understood it. Even through his lackluster play I've been patient as a fan.

Starting to lose my patience now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #298
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know when the eternal optimist Derek Wills is not standing up for Brouwer (this morning on 960) that he's wearing out his welcome.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #299
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting to look more and more towards the expansion draft as an opportunity to rid ourselves of what looks more and more like our new albatross contract, but with his terrible stats and underlying numbers I'm not sure why Vegas would take him.

If I was them I'd take Stajan or a prospect long before I would take that on for 3 more years.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #300
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Starting to look more and more towards the expansion draft as an opportunity to rid ourselves of what looks more and more like our new albatross contract, but with his terrible stats and underlying numbers I'm not sure why Vegas would take him.

If I was them I'd take Stajan or a prospect long before I would take that on for 3 more years.
Agreed. If I was McPhee I would take Stajan over Brouwer all day as Stajan plays a more important position and is one of the better 4th line centers in the league. Brouwer is kind of a passenger that has a few moments here and there where he looks good. I suppose it all depends on the positions they take from other teams as they may need a winger more than a center or vice versa.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote