Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
How bad is it for your eyes to wear contacts while you sleep?
Depends on the brand of Lenses and the individual. Air Optix Night and Day and Purevision lenses are approved for 30 days of continuous wear (ie. do not take them out all month). Biofinity, Air Optix and Oasys are approved for 6 days of continuous wear. All other brands are not approved or not safe for overnight wear.

Keep in mind though, that Overnight wear is not for everyone and a proper trial, with Optometrist supervision, should be conducted.

Personally, I only fit them overnight if a patient asks for it as it does open yourself up for more complications. If you do sleep in them, if your eyes are red and sore take them out.

Last edited by Knut; 02-24-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
How often should one check one's prescription (assuming there are no appreciable issues)?
Under 19 and over 65 should be yearly (covered by AHC). Contact lens wearers should be yearly. Diabetics and those with pre-existing conditions can be anywhere from every 3 months to yearly (although there is usually AHC coverage for those). Every two years for everyone else.

Prescriptions expire after two years for anyone, but it is always a good idea to get a double check on it after one year if you going to shell out the money for glasses.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
How often should I go for check ups? Should I go annually, or is once every 2 or 3 years ok? I used to go every year or so, but it's been almost 3 years since my last appointment. I should really make an appointment, but I've just been too lazy about it.

Oh, and is it true that watching TV in the dark doesn't actually contribute to my eyesight getting crappier, and that the reason for glasses / contacts is due to the oval growth of the eyeball?
Your first question was answered above.

It is myth that watching TV in the dark makes your eyes worse. It may give you a headache however. Genetics play the biggest role in determining your prescription. However, environment does have a role. If you spend most of your day doing stuff at near, then your eyes are going to try to make themselves better at near (ie. become nearsighted). If you are genetically pre-disposed to be nearsighted then that effect can be greater.

As for the oval growth of the eye. There are two components that make someone farsighted or nearsighted (or Astigmatic). 1) Refractive: shape of the lens/cornea and 2) Axial: Length of the eye.

Essentially nearsighted eyes focus the light in front of the retina due to either being too long (axial) or having to close of a focal point (Refractive). Vise-Versa for Farsightedness.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Are you located near downtown? I'm running out of contacts quite soon and I'm pretty sure my prescription needs updating, and my usual guy is in the NW. I notice your location shows Garrison, not sure if that's your home though.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Do you ever get sick of saying:
"Tell me which one is clearer? This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one. This one or this one."
Actually, I've also wondered if you guys ever try to "mess" with people when you do the above. Ever catch people selecting one of two options when all you've only shown them just one. Or if you guys ever get people that just randomly mash the "I win" button during the fuzzy line peripheral vision test thingy.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #26
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Is there an optimum age for laser surgery? What is too young or too old?
Best to get it done in your 20's or 30's. Under 20 your eyes are likely still changing (although i prefer people wait until after univeristy/college as the near work can cause a change). At 40 you have to consider that you will likely still need reading glasses. So a 45 year old that works on a computer likely would not be very happy with the procedure.

As for too old. In your 50's your eyes start changing again (usually opposite of what they did as a teenager) so it is not going to be a longterm solution for you.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've heard stories, perhaps rumours, that some opthamologists refuse to allow others in the practice to perform Lasik on their eyes. Is the risk really that high that some doctors feel only they are capable of performing the surgery?

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
general12
Draft Pick

Can wear the same daily contact lenses for more than one day?
general12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Why can I go see a doctor for free if I have a slight cough, but it cost me $120 to go get a five minute checkup on my eyes?
Health Care billing. It is complicated, but essentially the Government and our College decided that eye-care would be better served privatized in the 90's. I would agree with this. Health care costs associated with eyes are pretty large for the government, so by privatizing it passed the cost from tax payers to individuals between 19 and 65. It also allows Optometrists to access better equipment (medical equipment is extremely expensive due to monopolies in the industry) while still giving covered eye care to those that need it hte most (children and seniors).

I am always amazed that people complain about $120 every two years, when the Dentist is 5 x more and he see's you for less time. 5 minutes is not enough time for a thorough eye exam, 20 or 30 minutes is the norm.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Is eye strain a bigger factor in causing myopia or just some underlying genetics?
Answered above. But a mix of both. Genetics pre-dispose you to Myopia, but eye strain can make it a little worse.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #31
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Why does it seem that I see colours slightly different from one eye to another?

Is there anything that can improve night vision? I really don't like driving at night anymore as I feel I can't see well enough sometimes.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #32
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I got crappy eyes, so I need the super high-index lenses or else I'll end up with lenses as thick as Coke bottles.

At the time 1.67 was the thinnest profile lens available. Is this still the case?
1.74 lenses are available now. Also, there are now digital lenses that take into account the frame you choose and various other measurements of your eyes. This can thin out the lenses as well.

If you have a large amount of Myopia it is best to go with a smaller frame (thickness increases Center out) that has a thicker rim (to hide the edge better).

Last edited by Knut; 02-14-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #33
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Is it true jerking off makes you go blind?
No it just kills Kittens.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Oh, and there needs to be more information about ocular migraines, the first time I had one I thought I was going blind or having an aneurysm or something. Freaked me right out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Is Kate Upton really that hot, or are my eyes fooling me??
Rediculously Hot. If you start seeing Kate Uptons at the bar it is either time to get your eyes checked, or drink less.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #36
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What is your take on clearlycontacts.ca?
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Depends on the brand of Lenses and the individual. Air Optix Night and Day and Purevision lenses are approved for 30 days of continuous wear (ie. do not take them out all month). Biofinity, Air Optix and Oasys are approved for 6 days of continuous wear. All other brands are not approved or not safe for overnight wear.

Keep in mind though, that Overnight wear is not for everyone and a proper trial, with Optometrist supervision, should be conducted.

Personally, I only fit them overnight if a patient asks for it as it does open yourself up for more complications. If you do sleep in them, if your eyes are red and sore take them out.
Thanks for the info.

In my case, I don't have lenses that are approved for continuous wear, they are two week disposables, but other than a little "goopy-ness" in the morning wearing them 24/7 doesn't bother or irritate my eyes in the least.

Still though, because I'm supposed to take them out at night and don't, I'm afraid I may be doing damage to my eyes that I am unaware of.

Someone I know told me recently that I might be starving my eyes of oxygen, and that as a result my body may be increasing the amount of blood vessels in my eyes......if that goes on long enough it may irreparably impair my vision.

This person wasn't an eye doctor or anything, so I didn't pay it much attention.

Should I stop wearing them 24/7 immediately, and get checked out for approved continuous wear lenses?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My dry eyes drive me nuts. I use Tears Natural II for relief. Is there a better product? Is there anything longer-lasting for night time use? I've tried gels, but I just seem to blink them out into my eyelashes one second after I put them in.
Gels are best to be used at night time. Place a 1/2" under your lower lid right before bed.

Flax Seed oils are proven to help with tear production, and make sure you drink enough water.

Try Systane during the day time instead.

The best way to use drops if you have severe dry eye is the Put a gel in at night time and then use the drops 3 or 4 times /day every day, at the same time. Keeps a more stable tear film.

If this does not help then you have start looking at other factors such as Allergy or lipid deficiency in the tears. I would book in with an Optometrist for a work-up. You would be covered by Alberta Health Care as it is a medically necessary procedure.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Cheap sunglasses vs. expensive sunglasses? I've heard varying opinions from "as long as it's polarized/UV filtered there's not much else you can do" to "If you aren't buying a $300 pair from Serengeti you'll be essentially blind by 40". I've heard from people who buy both, but I've never asked an optometrist their opinion.
You get what you pay for. You can actually increase your UV intake by wearing cheap sunglasses as your pupils dilate behind the lenses allowing more UV light to enter the eye. A good rule of thumb is that if it is over $80 is it likely protecting your eyes.

UV 400 is what you want. Blue-blockers just block blue light and do not protect your eye from the sun.

UV light increases your odds for Cataracts, Macular degeneration and malignant melanoma's, so it is every important to have UV protection. Blind by 40 is an exaggeration, but it does increase your chance for blindness later in life.

Last edited by Knut; 02-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #40
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know you're not an Opthamologist, but what are your thoughts on this procedure?

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote