Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #81
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Boy I feel bad for Boomer. Which isn’t to say I excuse at all what he said – but live radio is walking a tight rope particularly when you are trying to be edgy and/or funny. Think about all the stupid stuff you say when out with your buddies that as soon as it comes out of your mouth you regret....when you are doing hours of live radio every day like Boomer is – this stuff can easily happen to anyone.

In my previous career in radio I had a few times when I said something I regretted, or wish I could take back, or got something wrong during a broadcast. The feeling is terrible because in few jobs are you so exposed. It lingers for days if not weeks - and you start to 2nd guess yourself. It's not fun.

Anyways, what he said was dumb and terrible and he probably knows it. But it is something that I can understand HOW it happened and hope people are able to look past it. He’s a good guy.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #82
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah....i cringed when he said it and then even went on about it after both Warrener and Walker gave him a second to backtrack on it but he didnt.

That being said, it was truly uttered in jest and anyone listening would know that. Asking the guy to lose his job over it is just ridiculous though....people need to get a grip
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #83
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
but live radio is walking a tight rope
Lots of jobs involve making thinking on your feet, making decisions and not being wrong on the fly.

Quote:
Think about all the stupid stuff you say when out with your buddies
In other words the stuff that goes on when you aren't on the tight rope and has no consequences.

Quote:
But it is something that I can understand HOW it happened
Me too - he's not very good at what he does.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #84
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Lots of jobs involve making thinking on your feet, making decisions and not being wrong on the fly.
Sure and mistakes happen in those jobs too. And people move on. Not sure where I claimed no other jobs were like this.

Quote:
In other words the stuff that goes on when you aren't on the tight rope and has no consequences..
Sure. But great radio is partly about being real - and just talking. Sportstalk at its best is a bunch of guys yakking just like they do in the bar. No surprise sometimes in appropraite stuff slips out.

Quote:
Me too - he's not very good at what he does.
I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #85
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sportstalk at its best is a bunch of guys yakking just like they do in the bar.
So which other sports talk shows should I tune in to for jokes about native Canadians and airline tragedies, if thats sports talk at its best?

Granted it's only every 4 years, but I don't want to miss the best stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #86
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
So which other sports talk shows should I tune in to for jokes about native Canadians and airline tragedies, if thats sports talk at its best?

You seem to be only interested in misrepresenting what I'm saying. I don't believe I claimed that this was an example of "sports talk at its best".

Let me know if you want to actually have a conversation about it.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #87
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You seem to be only interested in misrepresenting what I'm saying. I don't believe I claimed that this was an example of "sports talk at its best".
True enough, apologies.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #88
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
True enough, apologies.
Thanks I hesitated in posting at all in this thread as I didn't want it to come across that I was excusing what was said, as it was certainly over the line.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #89
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

While I realize it was an offensive joke (and that he'd get in trouble when he said it), I laughed when he said it AND I laughed even harder when I got the apology email.

I hope it's just a slap on the wrist.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #90
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am seeing the comments in here that were said but did not hear it. No surprise there is employer discipline.

For those that say the station should lighten up, let me ask you what it would take to see him lose his job, in your opinion?

(I'm not saying he should or should not, just curious as to the standard people are applying)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #91
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate how people over react to these thjngs. What he said was somewhat offensive but is anyone actually offended. Im a Rider fan. But this fake outrage everyone has over what is clearly sports hate is absurd. If anything this adds to the rivalry and makes listening to him after the stamps choke in the playoffs again priceless.

People calling for him to be fired is ridiculous
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #92
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
You're certainly looking like a troll over on riderfans.com.
No he isn't.

He is doing a good job of showing what morons Prider fans are (especially the losers over at priderfans.com).
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #93
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Riders fans are clowns. Some of them are pretty good, knowledgeable fans and being a CFL fan I like that because I like to talk sports but the vast majority are just uneducated bandwagoners. There are people in that thread there calling Calgary fans in general classless just because of what a radio guy said. I take digs at them because they make it way too easy.
But you flip the situation around and you would have all of Calgary saying how classless riderfans are. If Rob Pederson or any of the Rider radio people said this about Calgary it would be the exact same situation.

If there is any problem in all this its people pretending to be outraged and offended. Its ridiculous.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #94
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

No one should be overly offended by the comments IMO, but the comments were still pretty tasteless (especially considering that 4 members of the team were killed in a plane crash in 1956). I didn't feel the apology was necessary, but it was good to see anyway.

There are thin skinned fans that follow every team in professional sports, so I think that picking on Rider fans in that regard really isn't fair. As always, the loudest complainers get the most attention and anyone that is overly outraged needs to get their priorities in check.

(this post was written by a Rider fan that wishes he wouldn't get stereotyped any more than he already does. Seriously, who thinks a Roughrider's tie is a good christmas gift? EVERYONE in my family)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #95
Kananaskis04
Draft Pick

Eric Francis ‏@EricFrancis FAN 960 morning man Dean Molberg has been suspended through the end of the CFL season for saying he hoped the #Roughriders plane crashed.
Kananaskis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #96
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kananaskis04 View Post
Eric Francis ‏@EricFrancis FAN 960 morning man Dean Molberg has been suspended through the end of the CFL season for saying he hoped the #Roughriders plane crashed.
I know they have to do something like this due to the PC bullcrap society we have now but that is disappointing to hear.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #97
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
But you flip the situation around and you would have all of Calgary saying how classless riderfans are. If Rob Pederson or any of the Rider radio people said this about Calgary it would be the exact same situation.

If there is any problem in all this its people pretending to be outraged and offended. Its ridiculous.
We already know what classless dolts Prider fans are and if Pederson did this he would be held up as a god in Saskatchewan.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #98
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

It boggles my mind how people can care so much about a CFL football team. The CFL hype is a product of 2 things:

1) TSN making it seem way bigger than it is through false hype.
2) Riders fans, who's lives are so boring and meaningless out on the plain, they have nothing better to do with their time and cheer for what, in reality, amounts to an amateur football team.

Dumb comments by Molberg, but c'mon. Suspending the guy for a month?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #99
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd actually recommend you stay indoors, don't subscribe to internet or television, smash all of your radios with a hammer and blindfold yourself in a windowless room, since you apparently aren't grown up enough to recognize what you should and should not be spending time worrying about.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #100
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
It boggles my mind how people can care so much about a CFL football team. The CFL hype is a product of 2 things:

1) TSN making it seem way bigger than it is through false hype.
2) Riders fans, who's lives are so boring and meaningless out on the plain, they have nothing better to do with their time and cheer for what, in reality, amounts to an amateur football team.

Dumb comments by Molberg, but c'mon. Suspending the guy for a month?
Or it could be a product of people enjoying a different style of football that involves a faster pace game, more passing and more exciting plays.
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post: