Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #221
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I have absolutely no love of Francis, but this piece is reasoned and right on the mark.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #222
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very quickly, is anyone going to deny that the end of today's game was not absolutely thrilling?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #223
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Very quickly, is anyone going to deny that the end of today's game was not absolutely thrilling?
But, but, Da Bears kicked two field goals at home!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #224
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, tv numbers are in. 1.2 million watched the east semi, 1.6 million watched the west.

But it's a marketing gimmick and nobody in Canada cares.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #225
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That would be like 10.6 million and and 14.2 million americans watching something in the states (if you strictly compare based on population). that is pretty good for competing with the big bad NFL, for a marketing gimmick
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #226
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was at the game last night and it was one of the most exciting games of any kind I have ever seen in person. That includes many Flames play off games in the past.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #227
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a Sasky native and a Riders fan - I'm embarrassed by all these idiots crying for his head. He wasn't making fun of a plane crash that happened - but jokingly wished one would. An AM sports radio DJ does not have the ability to effect the cosmic forces of our existence with his very words. This just gives more credence that people from Sask are mindless simpletons. #embarrassedtobegreen
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #228
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

As another Sask native and Rider fan I agree this got blown up a bit. It was a poor comment and one which shouldn't have really been said. It's worthy of an apology but the suspension is a little much depending on what the suspension really is. (As an aside, do we know if he was just suspended from on air or suspended without pay? I suspect no pay but I don't know if that was confirmed/will be confirmed.) This does happen all the time though with people in the public eye. Once a large enough portion of the general population feels something you've said or done is evil then you're going to get punished for it. That's the way it works (unless you represent Calgary West ).

In this case he's being punished for a comment made in he middle of sports banter. I'm sure most of what these guys say is off the cuff. It's not scripted like the talking heads on the TV sports programs. They may have talking points but the comments made in between are on the fly. I suspect this is part of the appeal in talk radio, comments aren't well thought out and are therefore more raw. Sometimes these guys come up with comments they regret just like any of us.

I'd say the danger for the radio station is they end up with on air personalities who are afraid to say what comes to them naturally which would take a lot of personality out of the program. Watering down the morning show to three guys who are reading from a script would be bad for business in my mind.

Also, the end of that game was a treat to watch no matter which team won. It was a showcase of what makes the CFL a fun league to watch. The human interest story of Tate also made this Rider fan happy for him that he won. Not keep it running Stamps and get a cup. Win it for Gran.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #229
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loubardias sitting in with Bryn in the mornings. What a combo. Ugh.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #230
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kerr in the afternoon has been entertaining. He really is excellent at the talk show game.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to North East Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #231
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Loubardias sitting in with Bryn in the mornings. What a combo. Ugh.
Where is Walker?
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #232
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
Where is Walker?
Suspened for being present when Boomer made his hateful comments that put the Riders football team at risk of injury or death.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #233
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this morning they mentioned that Walker was on vacation.....
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #234
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kelly Kirsch was also the man that insisted that live rodeo on the radio was a great idea...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #235
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The fan really has turned to crap in the mornings without Boomer, I don't agree with the suspension and think things got a little blown out of proportion. He appologized, move on. I doubt I'll tune in until Boomers back.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #236
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
The fan really has turned to crap in the mornings without Boomer, I don't agree with the suspension and think things got a little blown out of proportion. He appologized, move on. I doubt I'll tune in until Boomers back.
I agree

I like listening to Rhett in the morning but without boomer to offset Walkers cynicism it is really hard to listen to. How it is possible to arrive at work in a positive mood with Walker ####ting all over everything constantly is beyond me. The only solution for me is turning them off and listening to podcasts.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #237
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never complain about sports commentators or reporters, but Im curious- are other listeners of the fan actually interested in hearing an endless amount of NHL talk during the lockout? I understand hockey is king around here and will always rule the airwaves, but surely these guys can find something to talk about 1/in the middle of grey cup week, 2/the middle of the NFL season, 3/after a huge comeback by one of the biggest stars in the UFC, 4/ after one of the biggest trades in Blue Jays history 5/ hell, even the NBA. Is their market research really prompting them to spend the majority of their air time talking about the NHL? Maybe Im the crazy one here and people actually enjoy it. Maybe I'm also tuning in at the wrong times?

Its going to be really bad if the CFL season ends and there is still no CBA deal in place.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 11-21-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #238
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I never complain about sports commentators or reporters, but Im curious- are other listeners of the fan actually interested in hearing an endless amount of NHL talk during the lockout? I understand hockey is king around here and will always rule the airwaves, but surely these guys can find something to talk about 1/in the middle of grey cup week, 2/the middle of the NFL season, 3/after a huge comeback by one of the biggest stars in the UFC, 4/ after one of the biggest trades in Blue Jays history 5/ hell, even the NBA. Is their market research really prompting them to spend the majority of their air time talking about the NHL? Maybe Im the crazy one here and people actually enjoy it. Maybe I'm also tuning in at the wrong times?

Its going to be really bad if the CFL season ends and there is still no CBA deal in place.
This.

I am honestly baffled that 960 thinks people want to listen to endless lockout talk instead of those things you mentioned above. I can't stand the lockout talk and banter.

At least there has been a little more Jays talk since the trade. But I do stress a little.

You wouldn't know the Raptors even exist / are playing though.

But their NFL talk has been sorely lacking for a while now. Apart from Walker doing picks and McCardell doing little updates, there really isn't a ton of information.

If I was Kirsch, I would run a fan poll to "adopt an NFL team", let the listeners vote on it, then cover it like it is your hometown team. Probably too late in the game for that though.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #239
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If I had to choose between listening to Raptors talk vs the same lock out talk, I would take lockout talk all day long. It is hockey hockey hockey for me - NHL, AHL, KHL, WHL...

I am happy to hear about the NFL, CFL, Blue Jays etc, but basketball of any sorts is lost on my.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #240
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

I turned on the Fan960 after a long break from the station - essentially since Kerr left.

Listened to them shoehorn in as much hockey non-news as they could, obviously avoiding any other topic for enough duration to lose the hockey-only listener.
Don't plan on listening again.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote