Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2022, 01:05 AM   #1441
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah I felt it was pretty clear how he got rich. He had lineups of customers that all paid up front.
Settlement from sandpiper case.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:34 AM   #1442
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Overall I wasn't into the Gene episode. There was a little bit of excitement and anticipation while the con was going on, but overall I just wanted the episode to be over.

Like I get how it is moving the story in some ways. Showing that even Gene isn't immunte to becoming Slippin Jimmy. While also showing that Gene at this point isn't willing to go back to being Saul either. But as others have said, it did not seem to be a particularly good use of the 4th to last episode to take its whole running time to say those 2 things. Like the setup montage and planning stuff was cool, but we already know Jimmy is capable of that sort of planning and preparation. It felt more like Oceans 11 than BCS.

Who knows... I still have faith in the creative team, but last night for me was a miss.

It was of course wonderful to see Jerry back on screen as I hadn't caught him in anything since P&R ended.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:00 AM   #1443
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It kinda feels like they made this episode, realized what it was, and shoved it in here. It could have really fit in anywhere this season. But after the season break, before the final run was probably a good spot to drop it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:32 AM   #1444
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better Call Saul.. shopping mall edition. Bad Santa was way better, lol
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #1445
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was like $1500 worth of cinnabons for $2000 worth of clothes? not worth it!

6/10
Old 07-26-2022, 10:56 AM   #1446
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have to admit I laughed out loud when the dude slipped and knocked himself out. Weak episode overall but I have complete faith the show will finish strong.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #1447
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was expecting an episode like this to sort of slow things down a bit. This will likely be worked into the ending somehow.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #1448
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is some really incredible minor details that the Reddit for this series has brought to light. It's worth a browse
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #1449
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I am going to hold my judgment of this episode until we see what comes next. There are several clues that foreshadow what could happen next.
'
Carol Burnett is supposed to be on multiple episodes so this isn't the last we see of Marion. Does he get mad that her son is back in a life of crime and decides to go after Gene?

Did the department store manager hear the Cinnabon employee call Gene by his name while they were on the phone? Does she notice the missing merchandise before the 72-hour window ends?

Gene had a glimpse of his old life and maybe he does something stupid to get another taste of it.

Jimmy/Saul never had a scheme go off without a hitch. He always had to be fast on his feet to fix something. I have faith that the writers have something spectacular in mind to finish off the Gene arc and the whole story.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #1450
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently the discussion of football gave a lot of people direct evidence that we're at a very specific time that was brought up in BC'S. The games they were talking about matched actual Husker games.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #1451
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved the intro with the messed up tape. I wonder what the intros in the last few episodes will look like.

I actually really enjoyed the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Apparently the discussion of football gave a lot of people direct evidence that we're at a very specific time that was brought up in BC'S. The games they were talking about matched actual Husker games.
Yeah, it points to the Gene timeline taking place in October 2010, a month after Walt's death. And if you remember when Saul was preparing to escape at the end of Breaking Bad, he asks his secretary to take a call on his birthday (in November) that he will take on a payphone. There's still more to come.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:56 PM   #1452
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Settlement from sandpiper case.
This is not necessarily plausible.

1) The settlement amount was OK but not filthy rich big. Jimmy was getting a finder's fee - I don't remember if it was 10% or 20% of what the firm was getting - they told him upon terminating his employment. If the settlement amount was $45M or so (this was the ballpark discussed at the last meeting) and the legal contingency fee was say 25%, this means $11.25 to the two legal firms and either $1.1 or $2.2M to Jimmy. His house looked way richer than that.

Added: His take was $1.16M - this is from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Jimmy discovers from Irene, his former elder law client who represents the class in the Sandpiper Crossing lawsuit,[a] that the company has offered a settlement which if accepted will result in Jimmy’s share being $1.16 million.
2) Settlement money was legally earned. So were his legal fees for defending clients. Why did FBI confiscate all of his possessions?

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 07-26-2022 at 10:12 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #1453
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
This is not necessarily plausible.

1) The settlement amount was OK but not filthy rich big. Jimmy was getting a finder's fee - I don't remember if it was 10% or 20% of what the firm was getting - they told him upon terminating his employment. If the settlement amount was $45M or so (this was the ballpark discussed at the last meeting) and the legal contingency fee was say 25%, this means $11.25 to the two legal firms and either $1.1 or $2.2M to Jimmy. His house looked way richer than that.

Added: His take was $1.16M - this is from Wikipedia:

2) Settlement money was legally earned. So were his legal fees for defending clients. Why did FBI confiscate all of his possessions?
you belong on /r/theydidthemath!

I do appreciate the effort. I do still think the sandpiper money was the genesis of his lifestyle which was then supplemented by meth money. When corporatejay posted that, he was responding to a post that claimed that Saul got rich off his regular clients. And while I know Saul worked tremendously hard, I can't imagine his stable of low level clients would have gotten him those possessions either.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #1454
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wasn't there a scene in the Gene timeline where he's stuck in the garbage room and carves his SG initials on the wall? I kept thinking that's where things were going and he'd be stuck there on the night of the robbery.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 11:39 AM   #1455
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
you belong on /r/theydidthemath!...

Quote:
...When corporatejay posted that, he was responding to a post that claimed that Saul got rich off his regular clients. ...
which was in turn responding to my earlier post on "we don't really know how he got filthy rich.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:57 PM   #1456
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
which was in turn responding to my earlier post on "we don't really know how he got filthy rich.
Indeed. I just feel like sandpiper was much more likely than his regular clients.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:48 PM   #1457
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Indeed. I just feel like sandpiper was much more likely than his regular clients.

I thought it would be more likely to come from his fee for aiding with the money laundering.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #1458
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought it would be more likely to come from his fee for aiding with the money laundering.
It’s probably all of the things mentioned. Sandpiper money, a successful business with low overhead (doubt the rundown strip mall rent was very high), and he likely made millions from Walt’s meth. Plus an unknown amount of other high priced work for the Gus or other elements of the cartel.

And while his place was large and gaudy looking, it wasn’t necessarily that expensive. The toilet was probably just painted gold, not actually made from real gold for example.
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #1459
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

They've released the title and description for the next episode....

Spoiler!
Old 07-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #1460
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In Arizona in the 2000's, a half million bought you castle with a dragon and a moat. I always thought the Saul Goodman practice was a way for Jimmy to filter through a mass of scumbags in order to find high-value, criminal clients who don't to deal with regular lawyers.

I really liked the last episode, I was really curious how Jimmy was dealing with such a mundane existence and how his old personality was starting to break through. I like "slice of life" style storytelling and seeing how characters I'm invested live when they aren't reacting to outside forces.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman