Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #221
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
70% being new makes a lot more sense. It's a fantastic product, and while I like Apple products, I can't stand the sheep mentality around them, but this one is hard to ignore. I'm loving my first gen so far.

Lining up for iPad 2 seems crazy to me though, regardless. The seconds one seems to be a marginal upgrade, but oh well, to each their own.

This stat was surprising... and disappointing.

with Apple iBooks, Amazon Kindle, and Chapters Kobo Apps it's a perfect ereader. I've found the glare to be a little rough, but I've been toying with the settings and found a good mix.

Maybe that's just me though. I am finished with having a physical book library at home. Love having an all-in-one ereader in the ipad.
Lol, that is what I thought ar first too. Ooooooh, I am going to use this thing for reading all the time. Yeah, the only thing I've loaded in iBooks are product brochures. It was unreal at the car show this year. Our guys captured 3 x more customer contacts than they did last year because they had iPads. And we had enough hotspot guys to handle the data traffic no problem. I had 3 guys on mine, and it didn't even break a sweat. The guys from the other dealerships were not amused when our guys showed up in the booth all decked out with iPads loaded with full line brochures and price lists. While all they had were the crappy vague car show brochure.

I decided to work a couple shifts at the show to see how receptive people were. What was neat, is people seem to trust you more if you have an Apple device in your hand. I didn't have one customer adverse to giving me their info. While the pen and paper guys maybe get contact info from 30% of the people they meet down there. It was such a hit for our store, our dealer principal is outfitting all 12 of his dealerships with the devices.

I will honestly say, the iPad/iPhone combo is a dream setup for anyone in any type of marketing and sales. Even the finance quotes I had to do were handled no problem, to the penny with a 2 dollar app. Apple absolutely hit it out of the park.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #222
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Lol, that is what I thought ar first too. Ooooooh, I am going to use this thing for reading all the time. Yeah, the only thing I've loaded in iBooks are product brochures.
lol. I actually had a couple Chapters gift cards kicking around since Christmas so I've loaded up some books on it already in Kobo. I think I'll continue to use it as an ereader. It's just so much easier for me.

The glare is a bit of an issue, but fiddling with the settings seems to have fixed it a bit.

Gonna try to get my parents to get one for themselves. I know if I just load up Scrabble or Uno for them they will get one ASAP. lol
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #223
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Edit: I'm really only getting one for development purposes, but I'm afraid of suddenly discovering a bunch of uses for it that I haven't thought of yet and then wishing I had bought the faster one. I really have no idea about how people are using these things at all. I still can't imagine using one instead of my 13" MP, or one of my two 17" laptops. Having said that, though, I imagine I'm no different than the people who had no clue how they were going to use one before they bought it, but then figured out a bunch of uses for it and now consider it irreplaceable.
That isn't something that you should be worried about at all IMHO. They are just going to release a slimmer, faster better iPad next year, so if you want one, get one. I'm sure the iPad 2 is faster, but I have had zero issues with needing speed on my first gen... at no point did I think to myself "Geez I wish Kitchen Confiential would load faster" or "my god, those Angry Birds are slow"

Quote:
Edit: Actually, the more I think about this, the more I realize I should just get the 16GB 3G iPad 1. I should be able to get one for under $400.
Don't you have an iPhone 4?

No need for the 3g ipad.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #224
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
That isn't something that you should be worried about at all IMHO. They are just going to release a slimmer, faster better iPad next year, so if you want one, get one. I'm sure the iPad 2 is faster, but I have had zero issues with needing speed on my first gen... at no point did I think to myself "Geez I wish Kitchen Confiential would load faster" or "my god, those Angry Birds are slow"

Don't you have an iPhone 4?

No need for the 3g ipad.
It would be for dev projects. Data apps, mobile web themes, etc. I see where you're going with just using the iPhone 4 hotspot, but I'd rather have the 3g in case I need to test something that utilizes it.

You're right, though. For what I'm doing, a 1st gen will be more than enough.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #225
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The glare is a bit of an issue, but fiddling with the settings seems to have fixed it a bit.
Just buy an anti glare screen protector. I have one on mine, and the glare issue is non existant.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #226
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The primary reason I don't use the iPad for reading is the cost. I wanted to re-read John Wyndham's "The Chrysalids". I can buy it at the used book store for $5. I can buy the ebook from Amazon for $10. Many other ebooks seem to cost as much if not more than what I can find in a bookstore. I'm not sure why since it would seem that a digital version would cost less to produce.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #227
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
For those of you with a 1st gen iPad, how is the new 4.3 OS running? Is it a pretty big improvement?
Biggest improvement I've noticed is substantially faster browser. Home Sharing is nice too.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #228
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well since the death of the original Iphone just picked up the 4. Going to try out hotspot tonight. When I call rogers what do I ask them to turn on the tethering feature?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #229
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Well since the death of the original Iphone just picked up the 4. Going to try out hotspot tonight. When I call rogers what do I ask them to turn on the tethering feature?
I believe if you've got a data plan of 1GB/month or more it's automatically activated.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #230
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Just buy an anti glare screen protector. I have one on mine, and the glare issue is non existant.
Yeah I might... I just hate screen protectors and covers and things. I always feel like my grandmother covering up her couch with plastic.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #231
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I believe if you've got a data plan of 1GB/month or more it's automatically activated.

Oh perfect. Once I call to activate my new plan with 3gbs should be good to go!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #232
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, that is what I thought ar first too. Ooooooh, I am going to use this thing for reading all the time. Yeah, the only thing I've loaded in iBooks are product brochures. It was unreal at the car show this year. Our guys captured 3 x more customer contacts than they did last year because they had iPads. And we had enough hotspot guys to handle the data traffic no problem. I had 3 guys on mine, and it didn't even break a sweat. The guys from the other dealerships were not amused when our guys showed up in the booth all decked out with iPads loaded with full line brochures and price lists. While all they had were the crappy vague car show brochure.

I decided to work a couple shifts at the show to see how receptive people were. What was neat, is people seem to trust you more if you have an Apple device in your hand. I didn't have one customer adverse to giving me their info. While the pen and paper guys maybe get contact info from 30% of the people they meet down there. It was such a hit for our store, our dealer principal is outfitting all 12 of his dealerships with the devices.

I will honestly say, the iPad/iPhone combo is a dream setup for anyone in any type of marketing and sales. Even the finance quotes I had to do were handled no problem, to the penny with a 2 dollar app. Apple absolutely hit it out of the park.
Did you track how much data they used? and?
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #233
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quick tip for those filthy iPhone 3GS users who are a little annoyed that 4.3 doesn't allow you to fire up a hotspot. While it's true you can't send out a wireless signal, you can tether to your iPad using bluetooth. Obviously you need the tethering option on your plan.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #234
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Did you track how much data they used? and?
24 hours of emailing 3 mb brochures, youtube surfing, and regular web use, on 3 iPads, and used 1.4 GBs. Very pleased. I expected to use between 1 and 2 gbs anyway. I still have a week left to use the remaining 4.6 GBs this month...lol.

Performance and range was outstanding.

My iPhone just limped to the finish for power. I was at between 5 and 8 percent at the end of the day, both days after a full charge.

Last edited by pylon; 03-14-2011 at 03:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #235
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
24 hours of emailing 3 mb brochures, youtube surfing, and regular web use, on 3 iPads, and used 1.4 GBs. Very pleased. I expected to use between 1 and 2 gbs anyway. I still have a week left to use the remaining 4.6 GBs this month...lol.

Performance and range was outstanding.

My iPhone just limped to the finish for power. I was at between 5 and 8 percent at the end of the day, both days after a full charge.
I saw you guys running around with your iPads at the car show and it looked pretty slick.

BTW, that CC has about 200 less horsepower than it should, IMO.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #236
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Quick tip for those filthy iPhone 3GS users who are a little annoyed that 4.3 doesn't allow you to fire up a hotspot. While it's true you can't send out a wireless signal, you can tether to your iPad using bluetooth. Obviously you need the tethering option on your plan.
Are you 100% sure? Have you personally tried it? If this is the case then there will be no need for me to Jailbreak my iphone 3GS. Last I heard, the ipad doesn't allow blutooth tethering from the ipad, but this may have been prior to iOS 4.3...

Wait, you do mean grabbing data from iphone 3G and sending it to the ipad right?

(EDIT)

I researched and YES! Blutooth from iPhone to iPad is now allowed as long as the iPad (1st or 2nd Gen) are updated to 4.3.

On a sour note, Blutooth internet speed from the iphone on the ipad is 1/5 as fast as the speed off the ipad on wifi... not sure about a ipad on 3g though

Last edited by Lego Man; 03-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #237
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Hotspot Test
I did not get nearly as good results from speed test app. Only .29 down .008 up. But regardless using iPhone to tether for Internet for free is great this will be real handy on the bus
Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #238
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I did the update for my iPhone and how the heck do you get rid of this double vibrate when getting a text? I hate it!
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #239
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
I did the update for my iPhone and how the heck do you get rid of this double vibrate when getting a text? I hate it!
Settings -> Messages -> Play Alert Tone: Once
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #240
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Settings -> Messages -> Play Alert Tone: Once
It still does that
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote