Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2024, 09:58 AM   #41
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Next they need a monthly subscription skip the line fast pass.
Its funny but if there was a walk to the front of the line pass - especially in food courts/places where office employees eat lunch - It would be huge
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:18 AM   #42
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
You are thinking of the exact opposite. Surge pricing happens when there are a lot of demands and not enough supply, for example at the end of concerts, everyone is looking for a ride. Uber adds surge pricing where the customer will have to pay more in the hope that more drivers will go to the area to pick up rides, or less customers will request rides because of the higher prices.

This model won't work for fast food. If you raise prices during busy hours, people will simply don't eat there and buy elsewhere. There are so many more choices unlike a rideshare service.
Next step:

Wendy's will provide mobile kitchens that fit in your car that "contractors" will have to lease in order to deliver for them, while also eating the costs of gas/maintenance/vehicle depreciation in order to clear far less than minimum wage.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:24 AM   #43
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they going to pay their employees more during those hours?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 10:32 AM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironmaiden View Post
are they going to pay their employees more during those hours?
lol.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 10:47 AM   #45
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Are they going to pay their employees more during those hours?
The whole sector is paying workers more, which is one of the reasons prices are going up. We all want service workers to earn higher wages. This will mean higher prices.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:53 AM   #46
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Don't be hating on the pizza sub on the dashboard with the defrost pumping for 2 hours to melt it. I lived off those things when I was in the field.
Hygaard?
Old 02-27-2024, 10:56 AM   #47
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The whole sector is paying workers more, which is one of the reasons prices are going up. We all want service workers to earn higher wages. This will mean higher prices.
This is nonsense though.. There are countries that pay their workers far more and the product still costs nearly the same.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM   #48
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Yep, I was buying 40 nuggets for a party and it was $8 cheaper at the 17th ave/33rd st location than at the 17th ave/14th st location.
I like the way you party.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:58 AM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Yep, I was buying 40 nuggets for a party and it was $8 cheaper at the 17th ave/33rd st location than at the 17th ave/14th st location.
I played Rugby with a guy and that wouldnt even have been enough for his Pre-Game Meal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:01 AM   #50
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
This is nonsense though.. There are countries that pay their workers far more and the product still costs nearly the same.
Like?

Hourly wage at McDonald’s (in $CDN):

Stockholm: $13.90 to $18.10

Calgary: $15.00 to $18.50.

Source: Glassdoor

Big Mac Index (in $US):

Sweden: $5.87

Canada: $5.56

Edit: Added comparison.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 02-27-2024 at 11:11 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:10 AM   #51
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think more people would be on board with higher prices for fast food if it actually meant reasonable wages for the employees. But aside from when the minimum wage is increased wages in the fast food industry rarely see much in terms of increases in this country.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:12 AM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I think more people would be on board with higher prices for fast food if it actually meant reasonable wages for the employees. But aside from when the minimum wage is increased wages in the fast food industry rarely see much in terms of increases in this country.
People are too busy yelling at them for asking if they want a bag to care about how much they make.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:32 AM   #53
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
People are too busy yelling at them for asking if they want a bag to care about how much they make.
I take a glass half full approach by assuming that they’re just incapable of emotionally self regulating and are only getting so worked up because the 15 cents isn’t going to the wages.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:38 AM   #54
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was never a big Wendy's fan. Burgers were good but that place was always overpriced (in comparison to the other big fast food burger chains), even back in the 90s. And their fries sucked. Chili was bland and runny. This pretty much cements I never go there again.

Post-Dave, the only good thing about Wendy's are the "sir, this is a Wendy's" ending to rants jokes.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 11:47 AM   #55
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I was never a big Wendy's fan. Burgers were good but that place was always overpriced (in comparison to the other big fast food burger chains), even back in the 90s. And their fries sucked. Chili was bland and runny. This pretty much cements I never go there again.

Post-Dave, the only good thing about Wendy's are the "sir, this is a Wendy's" ending to rants jokes.
I was just waiting for this.

I provided the Alligator through the Drive-Through joke, this one was the only one that was still needed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 11:51 AM   #56
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Traffic drives profit in fast food. I think some of the backlash from high prices and low quality is the reason that US chains are starting to look at Canada. They think that they can get more people through the door, and they are probably right. Canadian fast food is pretty bad right now. Most of the cost increases are due to lease rates and franchise fees, though. To justify a $1 raise across the whole store, for all employees, you would basically need one more customer through the door an hour.

Wendy's can hit a living wage in Calgary for their employees, if they could draw an extra five customers an hour, but judging from this thread and thoughts on food quality there, it's never going to happen.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:56 AM   #57
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really? Because a single customer’s order will pay for a one fast food worker’s salary for the hour. Simplified, but a few orders and you’ve covered your employee costs for the day.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 12:06 PM   #58
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Really? Because a single customer’s order will pay for a one fast food worker’s salary for the hour. Simplified, but a few orders and you’ve covered your employee costs for the day.
Yeah but they also have to make sure that they can afford to pay the CEO an 8-figure salary.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:13 PM   #59
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Like?

Hourly wage at McDonald’s (in $CDN):

Stockholm: $13.90 to $18.10

Calgary: $15.00 to $18.50.

Source: Glassdoor

Big Mac Index (in $US):

Sweden: $5.87

Canada: $5.56

Edit: Added comparison.

Now add in Vacation time and benefits. Swedish workers are required to take 25 paid vacation days per year.

Why not look at Denmark? 22/hr with 6 weeks of vacation and their big macs cost the same .

Denmark : 5.69
Canada : 5.56

Australia has a minimum wage of $23 average McDonald's worker wage is near or over $24/hr. So over $20 cad, with 4 weeks of vacation, big macs are cheaper.

Australia :5.07
Canada : 5.56
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:13 PM   #60
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post

Well Wendy's is 5 stars compared to the kyit they serve at McDonald's.

2 Jr Cheeseburger deluxes and a baked potato for $3.50. Can't be that pricing if you are a Uni student.