Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
bcsoda
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Kraft Hockeyville Finals: Sylvan Lake wins

Hey all! As you may have heard, one of Sylvan Lake's arenas had its roof collapse in January (you can read about it here: http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/01/20...in-sylvan-lake). Since then, they've decided to enter Kraft's Hockeyville contest for 2014 to win money to help the rebuild (and all the other perks that come from winning Hockeyville of course). I've been following the voting process and have been really impressed with the amount of community spirit they have shown both before and after the collapse, and so I thought I'd post about it here.

I've been reading Calgary Puck (and occasionally posting, but I'm a bit shy ) for years, and I know that there have been a few occasions where the members of Calgary Puck have teamed together to essentially determine who the winner of a contest would be. As such I'm posting today to ask for your help in aiding a community who I truly feel deserves to win this.

The Medican Multiplex (Sylvan Lake) has made it to the top 16, and they're now battling it out to make it into the semi-finals. If you'd like to help, vote here: http://krafthockeyville.cbc.ca/vote/...n=west&lang=en for the Medican Multiplex.The voting process is super easy and you can vote as many times as you want/are able to. I know they are extremely grateful for any support that's given to them.

Last edited by bcsoda; 03-24-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: mixed up which round they were competing to get into
bcsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bcsoda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted a couple times, odd that they'll let you vote as many times as you want though.

Am I just missing the voting results or are they hidden right now?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i voted - my son has gone to the sylvan hockey school a couple of times and it will seem odd not having them run the school out of the old barn this upcoming summer. that being said, that old barn was an old barn and desperately needed upgrading/refreshing......i am sure this summers participants will enjoy the camps more in the newer rink......
Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
bcsoda
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I voted a couple times, odd that they'll let you vote as many times as you want though.

Am I just missing the voting results or are they hidden right now?
Thanks for the votes! The voting system is...less than ideal, in my opinion. Nobody knows how many votes they have, and people can vote as many times as they want, so it's really just a race to see who which area can convince the most people to vote 24 hours a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i voted - my son has gone to the sylvan hockey school a couple of times and it will seem odd not having them run the school out of the old barn this upcoming summer. that being said, that old barn was an old barn and desperately needed upgrading/refreshing......i am sure this summers participants will enjoy the camps more in the newer rink......
Thanks for voting And ya, they definitely did need a newer rink, this just came a little sooner than they were planning.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aweseome, thanks for posting this thread.

Both my kids play in SLMHA.

You can vote as many times as you want as often as you want.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

where they able to rebuild the snack bar? the food there was quite good - the sticky buns in the morning were some kind of awesome......
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
where they able to rebuild the snack bar? the food there was quite good - the sticky buns in the morning were some kind of awesome......
A new, less complete "kitchen" is being built upstair in the MP.

My son had been upset about not getting his bacon and egger......

Quote:
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as long as they still sell candy for between $0.05 and $0.25 those concession will be busy in july and august.....
Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
as long as they still sell candy for between $0.05 and $0.25 those concession will be busy in july and august.....

Ah the candy.

I am terrible when I work my kitchen hours. I give the stuff away, if a kid is polite they get more, I never count just go by weight.......

Quote:
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Vote Arborg

Five quick reasons to vote Arborg for Hockeyville 2014:

5) Arborg is home to the world’s biggest curling rock. There is no way that is not awesome.
4) Arborg still has a meat draw every Friday.
3) The Arborg Heritage Village has an annual fundraiser which sees members of the community perform an episode of The Golden Girls to an always sold-out crowd.
2) My partner-in-radio-crime Chrissy Troy is from Arborg, and in fact held the title of Ms. Wilderness in the late ‘80s, having won the crown by doing a moose call for the talent portion of the pageant.
1) For those of you from a small-ish town in this wonderful province, think back to when you were growing up. Imagine the NHL coming to your town to play a game. Correct. I would have freaked out as well.
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayguy9 View Post
3) The Arborg Heritage Village has an annual fundraiser which sees members of the community perform an episode of The Golden Girls to an always sold-out crowd.
This got my vote
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I gotta vote for Sylvan Lake. I ran a few open houses for a project of mine upstairs from the hockey rink.

Edit: Aw voting closed lol.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:48 AM   #13
bcsoda
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Bumped to say that Sylvan Lake (Medican Multiplex) has made it to the semi-finals! They're competing with Salmon Arm for the top West position, and from there will (hopefully) be in the final round against an arena from the East.

The voting started at 10pm tonight (Saturday) and will be going for another 1 day and 19 hours. You can vote as many times as you want (seriously, as many times as you could possibly want to, I voted well over 1000 times in the last round myself) and I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday than helping a nearby community win this amazing opportunity. Vote here http://krafthockeyville.cbc.ca/vote/...n=west&lang=en for the Medican Multiplex!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcsoda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #14
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsoda View Post
Bumped to say that Sylvan Lake (Medican Multiplex) has made it to the semi-finals! They're competing with Salmon Arm for the top West position, and from there will (hopefully) be in the final round against an arena from the East.

The voting started at 10pm tonight (Saturday) and will be going for another 1 day and 19 hours. You can vote as many times as you want (seriously, as many times as you could possibly want to, I voted well over 1000 times in the last round myself) and I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday than helping a nearby community win this amazing opportunity. Vote here http://krafthockeyville.cbc.ca/vote/...n=west&lang=en for the Medican Multiplex!
I saw that announcement too where for qualifying for the top 4, Sylvan lake was gauranteed to win at least $50,000

Congrats and you have my vote too
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsoda View Post

Thanks for the bump bcsoda

There is no limit to the number of times you can vote in a row or day, no limits period.

I am too a start when I get to the rink this morning for my sons game and keep going during my daughters game.

I hope we can turn this into a CP jihad.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
Stanathan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Congratulations to the Sylvan Lake community!
Stanathan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanathan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #17
bcsoda
Backup Goalie

Exp:

*bump* 7 hours left to vote!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #18
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

10 votes... Maybe should have changed to name of thread to reflect Hockeyville contest...
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #19
bcsoda
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
10 votes... Maybe should have changed to name of thread to reflect Hockeyville contest...
That's a good point! I've updated the title to reflect that, thanks
Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #20
bcsoda
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sylvan Lake has made it to the final round of Kraft Hockeyville! Though we kicked Salmon Arm's butt (nearly doubling their number of votes), Kingston NS (Sylvan's competitor for the final round) had numbers very close to ours.

I know the Sylvan Lake community deserves this, and it would be amazing to bring an NHL game to their town, so let's start one of those infamous CP Jihads!

The details: Voting has started already and runs until 10pm on Monday, March 24. You can vote as many times as you want, there is absolutely no limit on the number of votes you can submit, so let's get this going!
Vote here http://krafthockeyville.cbc.ca/vote/...n=west&lang=en for the Medican Multiplex!
They also have a Facebook group that you can join to follow their excitement as it goes https://www.facebook.com/SylvanLakeKraftHockeyVille2014

(my tip to not getting tired of the monotony of continuous voting is to throw some Ted Talks on in the background so I can learn interesting things while still supporting the team )

Last edited by bcsoda; 03-22-2014 at 10:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcsoda For This Useful Post: