Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #101
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's quite possible Iginla could've declined an invite to the camp. There are probably a number of guys who aren't particularly thrilled about going to Russia for two weeks in February.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #102
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's quite possible Iginla could've declined an invite to the camp. There are probably a number of guys who aren't particularly thrilled about going to Russia for two weeks in February.
I doubt it.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #103
The Voice of Reason
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This is very unlikely.
The Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #104
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If that's even remotely true (though I doubt it is), screw him. If he doesn't wanna represent Canada cause of where its being held, #### him.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #105
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seabrook was picked last time, based pretty much solely based on his chemistry with Keith, which was a decision that I was Ok with at the time. But that chemistry, which was dynamite in the NHL, simply didn't translate at the next level in the Olympics. As a result, Seabrook was completely over his head in the tournament. Every other defenceman on the team played between 17 and 20 mins a night. Except Seabrook, who had the lowest ice time among defencemen by a large margin, averaging only 8 mins.

As such, I find it curious that he was included on the short list. He is older and better than he was then, but not night-and-day better. And I would want to see a night-and-day improvement before I would bring back a guy who averaged 8 mins on a team that was rolling its lines.

Last edited by BACKCHECK!!!; 07-22-2013 at 09:56 PM.
BACKCHECK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #106
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
If that's even remotely true (though I doubt it is), screw him. If he doesn't wanna represent Canada cause of where its being held, #### him.
Dude, it's a game.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #107
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodeur might have declined an invite though, just like Roy did in 2002. Perhaps he didn't want to be forced to compete with other goalies, and he felt it was time to pass the torch to younger goalies (same as Roy passing the torch to Marty in Salt Lake).
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #108
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Letang and Phaneuf shouldn't be anywhere near this team. Can you imagine all of the odd man rushes given up with the two of them on the ice?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #109
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're reaching.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #110
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Letang and Phaneuf shouldn't be anywhere near this team. Can you imagine all of the odd man rushes given up with the two of them on the ice?
I agree with Moon on Letang, you can dress 7 D and bring reserves in case of injury so there's room to bring a guy who is there specifically for the PP, a role Letang would fit pretty nicely.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #111
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe the idea behind leaving Iggy and Marty off the list was motivation. They were both going to be players who had legitimate chances of going to camp and not playing their way onto the team. Perhaps this way Yzerman and staff feel the can send a strong message: "show us you deserve to be on the roster during the first half of the season, cause right now we have our doubts". Could be they're wanted there, but the team wanted to make sure the didn't gain any sense of entitlement or become complacent. Iggy needs to prove himself a goal scorer again (and possibly someone who forechecks with the body as he used to, because, although its Russia and big ice, some physical intimidation would be nice) and Marty has to prove he can start on his team over a possible team USA member...that rant over, I feel Marty could play his way on, don't see Iggy doing it.
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #112
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the reason for leaving Marty and Iginla off the list is fairly obvious, they aren't good enough anymore and aren't likely to get a whole lot better over the next half season.

As mentioned before nothing wrong with that they are older guys trying to make the most competitive hockey team in the world.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #113
cubistcastle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
You really need to get your licks in based on a hypothetical scenario, which is almost certainly not true? Get a grip.

I'm disappointed he didn't even get an invite. He is one of the few guys that I think should get a look based on his legacy alone, especially considering his past performances for Canada. I didn't expect him to make the team for sure and we all know how emphasizing tenure over skill worked out for us in 2006, but to not be invited at all is a bit of a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned.
cubistcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #114
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not exactly a shock, but glad to see St. Louis get invited after being snubbed in 2010. They won so it wasn't a huge deal. However, I'm sure Yzerman would have faced a lot of flack if OT went the other way leaving off 3 of the eventual top 4 Canadian point scorers that year.

I'm pulling for Marty, I know he was "too old" 4 years ago but that didn't stop him from outscoring everyone but Stamkos since the last Olympics. He deserves a chance at the gold to finish off his trophy case, that is if he plays anywhere close to the last couple seasons. Luckily this time Yzerman will have a better view of him.

Also, 5'9''? Does he spike his hair for measurements now or what?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #115
MissAvery16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Iggy will finally hit 100 points in a season. win rocket, hart, art ross and canada finishes out of the medal rounds.
MissAvery16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #116
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure Iginla has the foot speed to be effective on the Olympic Ice Surface anymore. With the penguins he looked a step behind at times.

Not to say his game is off, but on a larger ice surface he would not be my choice for the Wing.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #117
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can understand if Iginla isn't on the Canadian roster, as I don't think he'd be on the roster I created if it were up to me.

However, with the potential for injuries and with the number of guys invited to the camp, I can't see a reason against having Iggy involved...I'm wondering if he turned it down, thinking the break would better serve him for a playoff run with the Bruins.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #118
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Men's Olympic Camp

@JasonGregor: "I didn't expect to get invited, there are only so many spots. Yzerman gave me the heads up that I wasn't invited, which was nice." Iginla

@JasonGregor: "If I scored 50 goals and didn't get invited I'd be upset, but I had an average year. I'm looking to bounce back." Iginla on @TheTeam1260

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #119
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice of Yzerman to let Iggy know before hand. Obviously been a huge performer for Canada, but his time has passed. There's nothing wrong with that. Guy has two Gold Medals, in which he was instrumental in winning both. He's probably pretty satisfied with his international accomplishments.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #120
tempz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If I was Jarome I'd just show up get dressed and go on the ice. Make someone have to be that dick who says "You weren't invited, Jarome" at which point I'd calmly hand over the scoresheets from the 2002 and 2010 gold medal games and say "Here's my invitation, bitch."
tempz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tempz For This Useful Post: