Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #141
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not just the points that gets me, I'm not too upset with him in that regard. He's just not the same guy I watched on the Blues last year that gave 110% every shift, he looks disinterested out there.

I do expect him to have a better year next year, but at this point, very dissapointed
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #142
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I immediately disliked the Brouwer signing, was very outspoken about my opinion, and faced a ton of critics.

It sucks he didn't prove me wrong. The Flames are handcuffed to that anchor.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #143
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
It's not just the points that gets me, I'm not too upset with him in that regard. He's just not the same guy I watched on the Blues last year that gave 110% every shift, he looks disinterested out there.

I do expect him to have a better year next year, but at this point, very dissapointed
This.

Guys get in a rut. It happens to practically every player in the league... but to see him, seemingly, float around out there and not even engage is really disappointing.

I don't know what's going on with him, but you either sit him out IF he's injured... or you just sit him until the playoffs start to get his head straight.

If he plays like he did versus Anaheim, he's a detriment to the Flames playoff chances.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #144
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rhett torched Brouwer this AM on 960 and rightfully so.

Brouwer to me this first season for his physical stature and past career has been a disgrace this particular season. His repetetive not standing up for his team mates jyst does not fly with me.
This doesn't necessarily mean fighting either that is a bonus. But the hitting, grinding, facewashes after whistles is all what is capable of but he has avoided it almost entirely.
Playing heavy on the opposition is why he was signed by Treliving.
I think it was what Treliving expected.
His points are his points and personal/team stats can always be worked on but his disappearance act game after game in the physical department is completely on Brouwer and he is the only one that can fix that.
Brouwer vs LA and continuing through the playoffs has the opportunity to right this.
Let's see if he steps up.
Funny thing is the few interviews I have seen him in and off the ice functions he seems like a stand up guy.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #145
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I always thought he was overrated, but guys like him are always signed to big contracts, and often disappoint. Look at Matt Beleskey, David Clarkson etc etc
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #146
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I always thought he was overrated, but guys like him are always signed to big contracts, and often disappoint. Look at Matt Beleskey, David Clarkson etc etc
Which is precisely why they shouldn't be signed to them in the first place

Big, not-super-offensive power forwards should never be signed for as long or for as much as Brouwer was. It very rarely works. The Flames just got out from under a bad contract like this one (Jones), why they felt the need to sign another is beyond me. They should have been focusing on graduating young talent.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #147
Volica
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Looks disinterested most nights. Not as physical as I would like. Also a possession black hole.

This is a crazy stat:
2 Flames player has worse possession numbers when away from Brouwer, than with Brouwer. Those two players: Linden Vey & Michael Stone.
Matt Stajan goes from a 51.1 CF% player without Brouwer, to a 39.5 CF% player with him. Brutal.
Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #148
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brouwer has a new nickname...it's Casper.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #149
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Yah, everyone claims he is a playoff beast, but in reality he has only had 1 good playoffs. He had 8 goals and 13 points in 20 games last year but only 7 goals and 12 assists in the previous 78 playoff games.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #150
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guy sucks

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keselke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #151
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The hate is strong in this thread. He's underwhelming for sure, beats the hell out of anything our farm system has to offer tho. Hope he can pick it up for the playoffs!
Old 04-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #152
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was one of those who originally proposed getting him in UFA - I think it was a day after we traded our 2nd for Elliott.

I've been very disappointed so far. I don't even really look at his points - I just think back to what was I hoping to get in a UFA winger and what I was hoping to see from Troy once we actually did sign him. Points was not one of them.

-Hits
-Fights
-Playoff clutch performer.

So far he's been very meh on the first two - jury's still out on the last point. It hurts more right now because of all the times I talked him up over the offseason, but I guess there's always gotta be underperforming overpaid UFAs.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #153
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he's not injured since he's playing tonight....
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #154
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Well he's not injured since he's playing tonight....
He is not injured bad enough to not play. He might be carrying injuries that are bad enough for him not to play well. Got to be some reason that he looks entirely different from his previous stints.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #155
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
He is not injured bad enough to not play. He might be carrying injuries that are bad enough for him not to play well. Got to be some reason that he looks entirely different from his previous stints.
Doing his best Joe Colborne impression.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #156
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Big contract and mailing it in for his last contract.
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #157
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
The hate is strong in this thread. He's underwhelming for sure, beats the hell out of anything our farm system has to offer tho. Hope he can pick it up for the playoffs!
Is he that much better than Hathaway? By that I mean in his current 4th line role. Hathaway gets under people's skin and plays a hard nosed game. Brouwer is soft and disinterested. Now in a top 9 role he likely is the better option than the farm system (Jankowski on the wing could be better).

Rhett oh the FAN this morning mentioned putting Brouwer back with Bennett (or leave Chiasson there), scratch Stajan and Chiasson/Brouwer and run a Bouma-Lazar-Hathaway 4th line as an energy crash and bang lone. I thought it was a reasonable option
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: