Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #261
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I wonder who the Flames would've picked if the Canucks did pick Tkachuk. Would they have gone after someone like Keller, or one of the dmen? Or would they have traded the pick for Bishop, as has been rumoured.
given that Friedman said Bishop pretty much expected to go to Calgary and sign a 6x6 contract, I think they'd have traded the pick to Tampa. Then the Dubois pick happened and everything changed. Maybe I'm reading too much into everything, but I believe that's what happened.

Looking back at it, I don't think trading for Bishop and then drafting, say, Pascal Laberge at 35 would have set the franchise back in any way. But I'm extremely thankful and happy that the deal fell through and we walked away with Tkachuk and Elliott. Getting a potential top line winger and not tying yourself to an expensive goalie with an injury record? Hell yeah.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #262
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

from what I recall, the Flames were pretty adamant that they weren't willing to send the #6 pick back the other way for Bishop
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #263
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thank god that didn't happen. That's a steep price to pay in a very valuable asset and then you eat up 6 million in cap space for a goalie I wouldn't be sold on for 6 years as well. Honestly think that would have cost us a quality young player while potentially handcuffing us badly. As much as the Flames don't seem to have luck with draft placement going in to the draft, they always seem to luck out with the guy that falls to them.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #264
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
from what I recall, the Flames were pretty adamant that they weren't willing to send the #6 pick back the other way for Bishop
this is my recollection as well...

some discussion about it, but Calgary wasn't going trade that pick in this particular draft
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #265
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

The highest pick I recall ever moving for a goaltender was the #9th overall for Cory Schneider, and Schneider will have had more value at that time than Bishop did in 2016.

Bishop had and will have again this summer, uncertainties surrounding his game & health. We got a glimpse into his trade value at the deadline, which amounted to a career back-up goaltender and a C-level prospect.

I don't believe there is any way that the Flames were considering moving that 6th pick for Bishop. If there are rumblings out there suggesting it was on the table, it's more likely that Tampa was asking for it in the same way that Pittsburgh was, which was laughable.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #266
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't what the Calder Trophy represents, but has any rookie been more valuable to their team than Tkachuk has to the Flames this year? Maybe Matthews and Werenski are in the conversation.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #267
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well it could have easily been 6th for Bishop plus something else, like their own late 1st. Who knows.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #268
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thankfully it ended with us getting Tkachuk and Bishop causing goalie controversy in LA with 17 games left.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #269
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still can't believe Benning took Joulevi haha
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #270
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was so happy we got Tkachuk that day. If the Canucks would have taken him I was hoping for the flames to select either Keller or Nylander. Wasn't too excited about anyone else. Keller looks to be a great prospect at this point and could be a great pick. He may have been a high risk/high reward type of pick but I'm always in favour of those over the "safe" picks like Joulevi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #271
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I saw 3rd overall pick Dubois in a game against the Charlottetown Islanders the other day. He was meh while Daniel Sprong was dynamic and scored twice. I'm so glad Columbus took Dubois and we got Tkachuk.

Last edited by Rick M.; 03-07-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #272
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I saw 3rd overall pick Dubois in a game against the Charlottetown Islanders the other day. He was meh while Daniel Sprong was dynamic and scored twice. I'm so glad Carolina took Dubois and we got Tkachuk.
Jackets took Dubois, but your point still stands. Dubois has the Q factor and was very underwhelming in the WJC. His stock rose immensely at the end of last year while Tkachuk had been considered the better prospect for most of their junior careers. Scary to think how good the Jackets would be if they took Tkachuk.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #273
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I saw 3rd overall pick Dubois in a game against the Charlottetown Islanders the other day. He was meh while Daniel Sprong was dynamic and scored twice. I'm so glad Carolina took Dubois and we got Tkachuk.

Only 49 points in 43 games for Dubois.

Looking at other recent top 10 picks from the Q that returned to the Q in the season following their draft:

Timo Meier: 87 points in 52 GP.
Nik Elhers: 101 points in 51 GP.
J. Drouin: 108 points in 46 GP.
Huberdeau: 72 points in 37 GP.

Pretty unremarkable season for Dubois so far IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #274
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll just leave this here...

OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #275
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I remember it Vancouver wanted a centre or if not they'd take a defenceman, so if they had the chance they probably would have taken Dubois. Edmonton was maybe also looking at a defenceman, so we could have ended up with Tkachuk either way.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #276
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Jackets took Dubois, but your point still stands. Dubois has the Q factor and was very underwhelming in the WJC. His stock rose immensely at the end of last year while Tkachuk had been considered the better prospect for most of their junior careers. Scary to think how good the Jackets would be if they took Tkachuk.
OOPS! Post corrected. Agree re Dubois' WJC performance.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #277
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dubious is 18 until June and eligible for next years WJC too. It's a 19 year old tournament and it's a credit to him he even made the team at 18. He'll have a much bigger role next year and should do a lot better. I wouldn't put too much stock into a poor tournament. Still a dynamite prospect IMO.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #278
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Only 49 points in 43 games for Dubois.

Looking at other recent top 10 picks from the Q that returned to the Q in the season following their draft:

Timo Meier: 87 points in 52 GP.
Nik Elhers: 101 points in 51 GP.
J. Drouin: 108 points in 46 GP.
Huberdeau: 72 points in 37 GP.

Pretty unremarkable season for Dubois so far IMO.
And I know you can't always create unrealistic expectations, but I know the Flames have always talked about prospects making progress. Sure, you might not make the NHL the year you are drafted, but you should show progress if you are sent back to junior as well. The fact that Dubois hasn't isn't boding well for him.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #279
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Dubious is 18 until June and eligible for next years WJC too. It's a 19 year old tournament and it's a credit to him he even made the team at 18. He'll have a much bigger role next year and should do a lot better. I wouldn't put too much stock into a poor tournament. Still a dynamite prospect IMO.
Still doesn't change that Tkachuk was way more impressive at the same age at the same tournament. I'm not trying to belittle Dubois, I think he will end up being a good NHL player but Tkachuk was considered the better prospect his entire junior career and Dubois had a crazy surge the last 3 months prior to the draft, this was because he may or may not be able to play center in the NHL. Tkachuk was still the better player but obviously had the "he plays with Marner and Dvorak" critics, as well as being a winger.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-07-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #280
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't understand why everyone ####s on the Juolevi pick. I hate the Canucks, but if Juolevi develops into a top pairing dman the pick was still worth it. We all know it takes a few years to develop most dmen. Tkachuk is a beast but if he ends up a 65ish point 2 way beast, and Juolevi turns out a 40+ top pairing stud... Was it really a bad pick ? The team is in a state of rebuild so they can take the development time. I hope he busts but at this time the pick isn't as bad as people make it out to be including Canucks fans.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post: