Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:15 AM   #4281
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
You can't overlook the McDavid looks unhappy factor. He looks like someone just told him he'll be in solitary confinement for the rest of his life everyday.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #4282
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Haha nice touch putting the Oiler logo on the toilet.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #4283
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
For $14M, you can have Alexander Ovechkin and Vlasic. I simply don't see any team spending that much cap on a single player, doesn't matter who it is.
I'm trying not to sound harsh here, but you couldn't have picked a worse example. Can't see a team spending that much cap on a single player? A team did, on one of the players you just named.

Ovechkin signed his 13yr/$9.54M-AAV contract in January of 2008. Connor McDavid will most likely be signing his contract sometime around January 2018 - July 2018; 10 full years later.

At the time Ovechkin signed his contract, it was the largest deal in NHL history, and was worth 16.82% of the 2008/09 cap (year #1 of the contract). McDavid is going to set that same precedent - he has all of the leverage, and he's the 1st player since Crosby & Ovechkin to be worth it.

Where does that put his contract? We need to estimate where the 2018/19 salary cap will be, the year that this new contract begins.

2016/17 - $73M
2017/18 - $76M - projected
2018/19 - $79M - estimate

$79M x 16.82% = $13.288M AAV

Last edited by The Fonz; 03-17-2017 at 09:22 AM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #4284
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Nice representation of ICE district. A+
Old 03-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #4285
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
You can't overlook the McDavid looks unhappy factor. He looks like someone just told him he'll be in solitary confinement for the rest of his life everyday.

He truly looks sad compared to how happy he looked as a teenager. The heartbreak when Edmonton won the lottery was written all over his face and he was devastated. Oilers might love him and want to sign him but I don't think the feeling is mutual.
winning cures all. McDavid would leave if the oilers still sucked, but if they make the playoffs and maybe win a round, it offers him the view of the oilers being on an upwards trajectory. would he sign an offer sheet? perhaps, but I doubt he's chomping at the bit to bolt.

bet he's enjoyed this season 100 times more than last year. likely made a huge difference to not have to play with Hall, if nothing else.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #4286
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
For $14M, you can have Alexander Ovechkin and Vlasic. I simply don't see any team spending that much cap on a single player, doesn't matter who it is.
No, you can't – not without giving up far more in assets than a parcel of late first-round picks. San Jose is very unlikely to trade Vlasic, and Washington, I guaran-damn-tee you, is not going to trade Ovechkin for any price that wouldn't gut the acquiring team.

If you offer-sheet McDavid, you sacrifice picks and cap hit. But it is the only way (short of winning the draft lottery in the right year) that you can acquire a young, proven franchise centreman at a predetermined price, and the team holding his rights has no chance to negotiate – they can only match the offer or let him go.

If I'm in McDavid's skates, I'll be waiting for an offer sheet that takes me exactly to my first year of UFA status, minimizing the length of time I will have to spend in Edmonton when they match. I suspect there are a number of GMs in the league who are more than willing to do McDavid that favour, figuring he may remember them fondly when he does get a chance to pack his bags and leave a dog of a franchise in a doghouse of a city.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #4287
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue
would he sign an offer sheet? perhaps, but I doubt he's chomping at the bit to bolt
1) make the same or more money
2) GTFO of Edmonton.

Bit's been chewed so hard it looks like old bubblegum at this point.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 03-17-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #4288
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
haha it reminds me of a housewarming gift an oilers fan gave me.. one of those metal buckets with an Oilers logo. I didn't want to refuse a gift so I keep my toilet plunger in there now.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #4289
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just posting this here because I know the guy is gonna read it, but the lack of self awareness by HF Oiler fans is hilarious

Quote:
Lurking at CP it's so clearly obvious the Oilers live in your heads, and I think it's adorable. I love how Flames fans have such a massive inferiority complex they care more about hating the Oilers than discussing their own team. Wouldn't have it any other way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #4290
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
That was there the whole time.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #4291
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lurking CP so it's clearly obvious that the Flames live in his head as well.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #4292
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Just posting this here because I know the guy is gonna read it, but the lack of self awareness by HF Oiler fans is hilarious
Ya, people who lack that last step of reasoning are amusing. No where in their minds do they realize they are lurking on a flames site in order to find flames fans opinions of their team therefore showing the application of their own judgmental opinions of others towards their own lives. It could be genetic. The current group of 13 year olds I'm working with also lack connected thinking in a similar way, but not all of them.

Yes, whoever you are, we pay attention to the Oilers and talk about it amongst ourselves. They're a particularly notable team for many reasons, most of which are no good.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #4293
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Using the word "adorable" to describe someone on the internet is pretty weird. Obviously that poster was irritated at this thread which is great. Lurking another teams forum and posting about it in an argument just shows how much the Flames are in your head bud.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #4294
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looking forward to all three california teams finishing their Alberta back to backs in Calgary at the end of the month. The saltiness will be real. I can potentially see all three laying beating on them on the first night. Could help sling the Flames ahead in the race if they take advantage.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #4295
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
They're a particularly notable team for many reasons, all of which are no good.
fyp.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #4296
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Some of you should read this thread from an objective view point. It is pretty bad.

McDavid isn't chomping at the bit to leave Edmonton anymore than any of our players, He's not going to sign some crazy deal that will handcuff his team forever, and teams have in fact been able to and usually do win cups with a generational talent and unfortunately none of those teams have really had an issue surrounding them with a supporting cast. Hell, Pittsburgh has had TWO on their team for the last 10 years.

I'm all for beaking the Oilers but the mental gymnastics in this thread trying to justify how having the best player to join the NHL in the last 10, 15, 20 years is some how a bad thing doesn't look great.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #4297
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Some of you should read this thread from an objective view point. It is pretty bad.

McDavid isn't chomping at the bit to leave Edmonton anymore than any of our players, He's not going to sign some crazy deal that will handcuff his team forever, and teams have in fact been able to and usually do win cups with a generational talent and unfortunately none of those teams have really had an issue surrounding them with a supporting cast. Hell, Pittsburgh has had TWO on their team for the last 10 years.

I'm all for beaking the Oilers but the mental gymnastics in this thread trying to justify how having the best player to join the NHL in the last 10, 15, 20 years is some how a bad thing doesn't look great.
The Oilers eat babies.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #4298
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
The Oilers eat babies.
Babies eat the Oilers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #4299
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pens didn't have Nugent Hopkins and Lucic signed to long term $6 million contracts that could potentially impede the Oilers from resigning Drai and McDavid. I'm not gonna get into the possibility that McDavid bolts cuz that's just highly unlikely but envisioning a scenario where a team offer sheets him is not an idea that should be scoffed at.

This Edmonton team was built on the foundation of losing and being a complete joke for 10 years with very little attempt to build an actual competitive hockey team. They were bottom 3 last year without McDavid for half the season, which is beyond hilarious. Oilers are no good and will crumble in the playoffs because the majority of that team is mentally weak and career losers. This thread is meant to be a remainder of that. McDavid is a great player, something 99% of people here will admit, but Drai isn't Malkin and Klefbom is no Letang. The Pens were built properly and were able to circumvent a lot of salary cap issues through great cap management and a great contract for Crosby, I don't know if McDavid will be as nice.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-17-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #4300
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's not mental gymnastics. There are pretty solid posts showing the percentage of the cap superstar players have taken up in recent history. With where the cap is today, it's not crazy to expect McDavid getting 8 years at 12 to 14 million. At the very least, why would McDavid's agent not walking into negotiations saying I literally want the max for my client? Oilers need Mcdavid more than anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread