Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #41
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
I also yell MOOSE after saves. People looked strangely at me at first and one person thought I was booing! I explained Elliott's nickname and there are quite a few on board now. Its a hard slog though. I think I'm the only one who YAHOO's after a goal announcement. We definitely need to be louder as a fan base.
That's awesome! I'll bet most people at the Dome don't even realize that happens -- it kind of gets drowned out during the goal announcement unless you're really listening for it.

I miss the old cartoon cowboy they would play up on the jumbotron -- back then the whole rink would "YAAAAA-HOOOOOOOO". I wonder if that got annoying for opposition players...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #42
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

https://youtu.be/V9WD4reMtEA
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #43
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think crowd chants are awesome. Preds fans do them exceptionally well
Old 03-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #44
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
I also yell MOOSE after saves. People looked strangely at me at first and one person thought I was booing! I explained Elliott's nickname and there are quite a few on board now. Its a hard slog though. I think I'm the only one who YAHOO's after a goal announcement. We definitely need to be louder as a fan base.
I do this aswell! as does my father. I don't make it out to many games though :/

Edit: I YEEEHAW

Last edited by Scornfire; 03-05-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #45
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Ricci's ugly ,......clap clap clap clap clap
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #46
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crowd noise and atmosphere is organic. You can't manufacture it. You can't force it.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #47
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Crowd noise and atmosphere is organic. You can't manufacture it. You can't force it.
Sure you can. "Eh, O', Calgary Go!"
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I've been yelling moose at the games after saves, but no one else seems to get into it. That should be a thing.
No, Looooooing, mooooing, louing, and mooooing again or any other ooooo based cheer always sucks.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #49
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
No, Looooooing, mooooing, louing, and mooooing again or any other ooooo based cheer always sucks.
No they don't. They get the fans into the game which is a good thing.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #50
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgarypuck was also responsible for the "C" and "Red" chants during the U.S. Anthem. Just another example of some good message boarding.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #51
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed it's looked a bit empty for some games, has it been a bad winter this year?? Miss going to the dome, only game I saw live was an embarrassing 4-0 shutout against the laughs. For those that go, it's the stretch now, I remember when it was the Hartley playoff year and I went to 9 games.. that building was loud, it can do it and will do it down the stretch here.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #52
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate chants, they are so separate from what's actually happening in the game. They are fantastic if you don't care about the outcome like going to a European soccer game where the crowd is part of the entertainment but when there is an actual game going on the chants or god forbid the wave is a distraction.

What I want is natural crowd noise from tension and excitement. The ohhhhh when a shot misses the post, the boos and jeers of missed calls, the reaction to big hits. Natural real reaction to what you are seeing. That is what makes an entertaining crowd. It's not chanting fight songs while the play is on.
Chats though gets the crowd engaged with the game. Soccer is known for the chants since there's a lot of lull moments in between eventful moments. Hockey has those as well. I think it would be awesome if we could come up with a few quick, and simple chants that could get the whole arena to be engaged and amp up the energy.

Players making one of the hardest hits in the season shouldn't have to be the way for the crowd to finally wake up. And it's not like they don't want to be loud. After the hit, overtime last game, and obviously playoffs, the crowd is at it's best.

If Nashville can have one of the best crowds for just a routine regular season game, with less people in the crowd, surely Calgary's could be a bit louder. They need initiation to however.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #53
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I've noticed it's looked a bit empty for some games, has it been a bad winter this year?? Miss going to the dome, only game I saw live was an embarrassing 4-0 shutout against the laughs. For those that go, it's the stretch now, I remember when it was the Hartley playoff year and I went to 9 games.. that building was loud, it can do it and will do it down the stretch here.
The economy is dire, I hesitate to look any further than that in regards to empty seats. You give us a 2011ish economy and this team and you have a full dome, imo.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #54
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Chats though gets the crowd engaged with the game. Soccer is known for the chants since there's a lot of lull moments in between eventful moments. Hockey has those as well. I think it would be awesome if we could come up with a few quick, and simple chants that could get the whole arena to be engaged and amp up the energy.

Players making one of the hardest hits in the season shouldn't have to be the way for the crowd to finally wake up. And it's not like they don't want to be loud. After the hit, overtime last game, and obviously playoffs, the crowd is at it's best.

If Nashville can have one of the best crowds for just a routine regular season game, with less people in the crowd, surely Calgary's could be a bit louder. They need initiation to however.
Plus, there's some irony in suggesting chants are stupid and mean fans aren't paying attention to the actual excitement of the game, while the fans are quiet because there's not much action going on for entire periods at a time.

Hockey has lots of room for chanting and crowd participation during the games. It's got it's moments, but it's certainly not non-stop action that you have to be prepared for.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-05-2017 at 11:28 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #55
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The economy is dire, I hesitate to look any further than that in regards to empty seats. You give us a 2011ish economy and this team and you have a full dome, imo.
Hopefully it bounces back soon here, nothing like Calgary when it's booming!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #56
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

The chants I hear in Nashville are soccer like - that city should be damn proud of their team and ut truly appears as they are. Great example of the expansion working.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #57
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate chants, they are so separate from what's actually happening in the game. They are fantastic if you don't care about the outcome like going to a European soccer game where the crowd is part of the entertainment but when there is an actual game going on the chants or god forbid the wave is a distraction.

What I want is natural crowd noise from tension and excitement. The ohhhhh when a shot misses the post, the boos and jeers of missed calls, the reaction to big hits. Natural real reaction to what you are seeing. That is what makes an entertaining crowd. It's not chanting fight songs while the play is on.
I could not have a more polar opposite opinion.

IMO, this is the type of mindset that plagues sports in North America. Fans choose to only react to the play instead of trying to influence the play. People have to be told to “MAKE SOME NOISE” rather than simply doing it themselves. What you get as a result is what we saw on Friday night, a home crowd completely devoid of atmosphere for large portions of the game. The loudest the building got prior to overtime was when the decibel meter came on, and when the Wings tied the game.

And this has nothing to do with the sport, but rather the difference in cultures between Europe and North America. It’s about supporting your club throughout the entire game, not just when they make a big play. It’s about intimidating the opponent when they come into your arena, not having opposing supporters drown you out in your arena (see Oilers, Canucks, Leafs, Habs games). Soccer, basketball, hockey, supporters of these sports all have the same mentality.

Here are some good examples of the atmosphere in the SEL. Would you rather be in this crowd, or in a silent one listening to some ######bag talk about how drunk he got on his golf trip in Phoenix?

And more examples of basketball games in Europe

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In fairness the Greeks just want to watch the world burn.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #59
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

A perfect example of a chant that worked in the past was the "IGGY IGGY IGGY! OI OI OI!" chants. Did they have anything to do with the play? Not usually. It was simply a group of people supporting Iginla while he was on the ice. Imaging thousands of people chanting that at the same time?

Old 03-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #60
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's an idea. Take this chant, and change EVERYBODY to JOHNNY HOCKEY when Gaudreau is on the ice. Easy for anyone to pick up on.

For anyone who doesn't know, it's to the tune of Shots by Lil Jon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post: