Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #461
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm more surprised about Johnny but that's only because I've heard the Monahan stories before. If I thought about it, it's worse for Bouma since he's probably got a way shorter leash, and has to be a hard worker to remain a NHLer.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:18 PM   #462
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I can assure you that there will be no stern lectures with secret low fives under the table from mom.
I'm at a complete loss as to how clandestine hand jobs from one's mother fit into all of this
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #463
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Hartley you beautiful basterd! You played this whole thing like a violin!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #464
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I'm at a complete loss as to how clandestine hand jobs from one's mother fit into all of this
K, I'm tired and I totally miswrote that.

Remember when you were a teen, and you went out partying and came home late and got the lecture from your parents. And you're dad is telling you how disappointed he is in you, and how you betrayed their trust and grounded you, and as soon as mom left the room, he gave you the high five while staring at the door making sure she didn't see it?

That's what I meant.

I mean I got so many of those secret high fives from the old man when I screwed up unless it was a major screw up.

Mom's don't do that, they're sincere in being pissed off, Dad's have a double standard when it comes to their sons.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #465
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of moms, maybe Monahan will be told to move back in (didn't she come out with him the first year?)

jk
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:28 PM   #466
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can imagine someone's ear being grabbed already.

Admonishments with a think New Jersey accent must be terrifying.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:48 PM   #467
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Believe it or not my brother didn't sell his tickets until just an hour ago and in years past he would have sold them at least a week in advance at 10x their price. I'm not sure if it's because of this economy or Leafs fans aren't overly excited about seeing an AHL squad in Leafs colours.
I had mine posted on NHL Ticket Exchange since Monday morning and finally just gave them away to a close friend 3 hours before game time. They have a face value of $406/pr, and I had them listed at $220 for the pair without a sale for about 36 hours. In years past, they've sold on Kijiji for $550 to $600 in matter of minutes.

My theory is people are just too scared to drop $400 on 3 hours of entertainment when they very likely could lose their job the next day.
Draug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 AM   #468
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I was one of the guys who paid for tickets tonight and was not happy with the decision to scratch the players. And FYI for the last 20 years I have given my pre-season tickets to the Hull Boys Home so those kids can attend Flames games.
While your donations are admirable, why didn't you donate these tickets rather than complain about them? Im sure the Hull Boys Home recipient wouldn't piss and moan about Gaudreau and Monahan not being in attendance.

It was a great game and I don't feel sorry for you. #firstworldproblems
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 AM   #469
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm wondering if the OP or a mod could put up a poll to really see the general opinion of CP.
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 AM   #470
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
While your donations are admirable, why didn't you donate these tickets rather than complain about them? Im sure the Hull Boys Home recipient wouldn't piss and moan about Gaudreau and Monahan not being in attendance.

You're a piece of work my friend. I would have but did not hear about all of this until an hour before the game. I was in meetings all day.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:27 AM   #471
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Always earned, never given.

(I'm sure that's at least the 14th time that's been posted in this thread)
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 03:45 AM   #472
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good stuff, looks like Hartley, Gio and the team are pretty much on top of this. No matter who you are, rules are not rules unless they apply to everyone equally. The Flames won, the kids learned a lesson and I would not be surprised they will play with a fire under their *** for the rest of the season.

I really like the leadership, whether its Hartley, Gio, Burke or just the "room" there seems to be accountability and professionalism.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dajazz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #473
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

Dude, he's not complaining or whining, just stating an opinion as someone directly affected by the decision. Not asking for your sympathy. His perogitive.

You're acting self righteous and like a complete $@&#.

Let's hope next time you complain about anything that people offer more empathy than you.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #474
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Everyone take a look at zyzz's posting history before you consider giving his hearsay an iota of your attention.
Yup, the guy is here to be a **** disturber. Didn't he make a brilliant prediction that Baertschi would outscore every Flame this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Well, Jian Ghomeshi is currently on trial in Toronto right now.

Last edited by saillias; 02-10-2016 at 06:54 AM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #475
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Uhhhh... none?

If anything, I would imagine they are mocking us right now. These are Oilers fans we're talking about here. They are probably saying that Monahan and Gaudreau will ask for trades now.
I have an Oiler fan friend who did exactly this, saying "this makes the Flames as bad as the supposed character issues the Oilers have."

I regularly point out how their leadership group is rotten to the core, or completely absent, and how nobody shows any accountability whatsoever. He always responds this year with, "Yeah, that Taylor Hall sure is a bum with his [insert point total here] points."

They're so frigging clueless that I refuse to feel sorry for them. When our players screw up in games, they're often given lesser roles. When our players screw up outside of games during preparation time, that is taken even more seriously and they aren't allowed to play in the game. That's how you build an accountable environment. When Oiler players screw up in games, you don't see their ice time change one iota. When they lack preparation outside of the games, they never, ever miss a game. When their captains and leaders who leave it all out on the ice don't produce results, they are summarily dismissed and banished (Ference, Scrivens, Dubnyk et al). Everything about that culture is wrong, yet they continue to throw stones in glass houses. Screw them.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #476
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post
I'm wondering if the OP or a mod could put up a poll to really see the general opinion of CP.
I went back and re-read the Radulov/Kostytsyn suspension thread back when both players were suspended by the Predators during their playoff series vs the Coyotes back in 2012. Back then, the Preds were down 2-0 in the series and the team still suspended both players. While the Flames' incident slightly differs from the Preds, both incidents involve team rules being broken. The general consensus in that thread is that the team did the right thing. No individual is above team rules, regardless of your ''star'' status or where you sit in the standings.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=117263

You could copy and paste a bunch of those posts and paste them here and it would be applicable. I would hope that if the general consensus on CP back then was that the Preds did the right thing, then it should be the same today.

For years the Flames have had a history of being a country club organization. And we all know how that turned out. I'm proud of Hartley and management for sticking to their guns. The last thing we need is the inmates running the asylum again at such a crucial point in the rebuild.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #477
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they broke the rules, they should pay the price. I don't see much room for debate on that.

One interesting twist to this is that the fathers are in town for the annual trip with the team. You can bet that, having to sit and watch with their dads, the message was received loud and clear.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #478
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Commentary on the FAN960 right now, but they are talking about the potential of taking the 'A' from Monahan. Not saying it's a permanent thing, but perhaps a necessary thing to do given the situation and accountability.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #479
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I have an Oiler fan friend who did exactly this, saying "this makes the Flames as bad as the supposed character issues the Oilers have."

I regularly point out how their leadership group is rotten to the core, or completely absent, and how nobody shows any accountability whatsoever. He always responds this year with, "Yeah, that Taylor Hall sure is a bum with his [insert point total here] points."

They're so frigging clueless that I refuse to feel sorry for them. When our players screw up in games, they're often given lesser roles. When our players screw up outside of games during preparation time, that is taken even more seriously and they aren't allowed to play in the game. That's how you build an accountable environment. When Oiler players screw up in games, you don't see their ice time change one iota. When they lack preparation outside of the games, they never, ever miss a game. When their captains and leaders who leave it all out on the ice don't produce results, they are summarily dismissed and banished (Ference, Scrivens, Dubnyk et al). Everything about that culture is wrong, yet they continue to throw stones in glass houses. Screw them.
We've all heard the stories about the Oilers' partying, yet none of their media members have felt it worthy of looking into. A couple of Flames slip up once, and Mark Spector not only named names right away, but also continued to harp on it the next day, as if it's the scandal of the season. I wonder why that is?
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #480
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has there been any concrete evidence presented that this has been a systemic issue, or is this more of a one-off mistake?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote