Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #41
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at Bobrovsky. Heck of a goalie struggling with confidence issues. It happens to all of them.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #42
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Look at Bobrovsky. Heck of a goalie struggling with confidence issues. It happens to all of them.

It's probably hard to be confident when you are not able to play because of always being injured.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #43
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I'm not sure Howard is an upgrade on Ramo, that's pretty much a lateral move IMO. Unless you're giving up significantly less for Howard than what Hiller and/or Ramo would go for, I don't see the point. Might as well just re-sign Ramo for 3 years as there is no way he will command the 5.3m Howard makes.
I was going to disagree with you until I actually looked at Howard's numbers. He's been really bad this season and well below average the previous two. He's lost 8 games in a row!
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #44
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Sarcasm aside, Hiller was actually pretty darn good against the Canucks.
Respectfully disagree. His rebound control was terrible but the D cleaned it up.

Vancouver did not have much in the way of quality chances. I know beer league goalies that could have won that game

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 02-08-2016 at 03:37 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #45
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Respectfully disagree. His rebound control was terrible but the D cleaned it up.

Vancouver did not have much in the way of quality chances. I know beer league goalies that could have won that game
Lol while I also was not impressed with Hiller in that game, that seems a mite hyperbole.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hiller on Saturday played just as well or better than Ramo has lately as he made some timely (a key word seeing Flames goaltenders have been terrible about making timely saves) saves to keep the lead in the 3rd period. Regardless they are both mediocre goaltenders that this organization needs to move away from.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #47
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
To me if your that weak mentally you probably don't make it to the NHL, especially in a starting goaltender role. Let's face it, a big part of goaltending is mental and confidence based. Think of all the similar types of situations that could have happened like having three potential goalies at the Junior level or earlier. Minor hockey is ripe with politics and favouritism. If your an elite athlete, competition should make you better, not fold like a cheap suit.

The reality is none of the three flames goaltenders are consistently good enough to carry the mail in a starters role in the NHL at this point in time.
For the record, I'm not saying any or all three are NHL #1 goalies. I will agree, however, that management did not give any or all three the best possible conditions to be successful starting the season.

Once you make the NHL, you're an adult who's made a career choice. The consequences isn't the same as a kid who's going to be an engineer instead.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #48
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hiller on Saturday played just as well or better than Ramo has lately as he made some timely (a key word seeing Flames goaltenders have been terrible about making timely saves) saves to keep the lead in the 3rd period. Regardless they are both mediocre goaltenders that this organization needs to move away from.
Timely doesn't mean quality. Look at the two goals Ramo let in against CBJ. Two on ones, cross crease tap ins. Hiller was not challenged with similar quality chances. I get the feeling the D play tighter with less confidence in Hiller and ironically Hiller reaps the rewards statistically of late.

Personally I think Ramo is the better goalie by a fair margin. Just don't like the blocking style, down on the knees pretty much until the puck goes back to the point.

Fair point that the goalie when this team finds success will be unlikely to be one of these two.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #49
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Timely doesn't mean quality. Look at the two goals Ramo let in against CBJ. Two on ones, cross crease tap ins. Hiller was not challenged with similar quality chances. I get the feeling the D play tighter with less confidence in Hiller and ironically Hiller reaps the rewards statistically of late.

Personally I think Ramo is the better goalie by a fair margin. Just don't like the blocking style, down on the knees pretty much until the puck goes back to the point.

Fair point that the goalie when this team finds success will be unlikely to be one of these two.
agreed
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #50
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He may have let out some big rebounds but I didn't think any were really dangerous and led to scoring chances. A goalie should try and prevent big rebounds but if you direct them into non-dangerous areas that's ok.

This might not have been the 1-0 game he played in Chicago last season but it wasn't the 6-0 Florida game either. I don't think you would have thought a beer league goalie would have won that game if Ramo would have started.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #51
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goalies are playing average, occasionally above average, which is a big improvement.

IMO that is all the Flames need to be a playoff team next year.

To go deep, they will need a stud goalie. Not sure where they will find one of those. I don't think the guys rumoured to be available will be that guy.

My guess is both Ramo and Hiller are in next for the Flames to start next year.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #52
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Goalies are playing average, occasionally above average, which is a big improvement.

IMO that is all the Flames need to be a playoff team next year.

To go deep, they will need a stud goalie. Not sure where they will find one of those. I don't think the guys rumoured to be available will be that guy.

My guess is both Ramo and Hiller are in next for the Flames to start next year.
I think Hiller walks (hopefully traded but I doubt it) and I think it will be Ramo and one of Ward or Raanta.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #53
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
He may have let out some big rebounds but I didn't think any were really dangerous and led to scoring chances. ...

This might not have been the 1-0 game he played in Chicago last season but it wasn't the 6-0 Florida game either. I don't think you would have thought a beer league goalie would have won that game if Ramo would have started.

D were in position and cleaned them up.

Yes I would have. I admit that I think Ramo is better, but can recognize a game with a bunch of routine chances compared to a game where a goalie makes saves he is not expected to make.

Either way, I don't care. Back to the point of the thread.

If Nashville wants a goalie, take one, take 'em both. This team is unlikely to make the playoffs now and by the trade deadline they will know enough for sure to ship them out.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #54
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw one bad rebound. He had 35 shots. It was a quality performance. Hartley must think so too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #55
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its easy to blame goalies giving up 2 to 3 goals when the forwards only score 1 to 2 goals. A lot of the reason the Flames are where they are is because offense isn't created unless Gaudreau is on the ice
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #56
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
D were in position and cleaned them up.
That's part of their job. It's not like he was directing them straight at a Sedin. Most of them were high and to the sides where was no traffic.

Quote:
Yes I would have. I admit that I think Ramo is better, but can recognize a game with a bunch of routine chances compared to a game where a goalie makes saves he is not expected to make.
A goalie doesn't need to make a ton of spectacular saves to have a good game. The funny thing is during Ramo's run when did win he really didn't play much different than Hiller did on Saturday yet his supporters were quick to give him credit and sometimes a little too much credit.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #57
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
That's part of their job. It's not like he was directing them straight at a Sedin. Most of them were high and to the sides where was no traffic.

A goalie doesn't need to make a ton of spectacular saves to have a good game. The funny thing is during Ramo's run when did win he really didn't play much different than Hiller did on Saturday yet his supporters were quick to give him credit and sometimes a little too much credit.
*sigh* I don't want to re watch the game to find time stamps of examples to explain. Believe what you want.

Here is what I saw. Lots of rebounds that he did not control. Flames were in position to get them, so no harm done, but he did not control them.

It makes sense, he is a blocking goalie who butterflies a ton.

He was called on to make zero ten-bell saves. Much like the Columbus goalie. Count the shots and look at save percentage, that is fine.

Sometimes goalies have easy nights. And good fortune.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 02-08-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #58
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd trade both for Hutton. Friedman must be sniffing his hairspray again.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #59
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
but he did not control them.
Welcome to life as a Flames goalie. Which is one reason why I want neither on the team next season.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #60
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm good for trading either goalie...but I doubt the flames get any real offers for them.

I'll eat pubes if we get better than a 5th rd pick.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote