Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #21
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

At this stage if we are giving Hiller away i don't think that there is really any benefit to us is there? Cash? I think if he is moved that we might just get something for him. Not much, but something.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #22
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't expect more than scraps for either of them since their deals are both up.

This summer will be interesting for the Flames when it comes to goalies now that Ramo is playing fairly well. Two months ago, any suggestion of re-signing Ramo would have caused mass hysteria in Calgary. Now, not so much. We think we know what we have now in Ramo.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Treliving indeed knows what he has which is why I expect two new goaltenders added in the offseason to replace Ramo and Hiller.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #24
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
At this stage if we are giving Hiller away i don't think that there is really any benefit to us is there? Cash? I think if he is moved that we might just get something for him. Not much, but something.
4th-5th round pick isn't much but it's something. Ferland was a 5th round pick, Brodie and Gaudreau were both 4th rounders. The more picks you have the better.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
4th-5th round pick isn't much but it's something. Ferland was a 5th round pick, Brodie and Gaudreau were both 4th rounders. The more picks you have the better.
If a team offers a 3rd round pick for Ramo at the deadline you take it. Heck even a 4th as they can bring up Ortio and find out if he's worthy of being in next season's plans.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think that unless Ramo suddenly demands a big contract, the Flames will re-sign him. All depends of course on what is available from now until the next season through FA and trades, but I would be inclined to say that Ramo has at least been a very good backup, if not a pretty decent starter for a while now.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor old Hiller gets no respect.

Ramo is widely seen as "turning things around". But in his last 5 games (that's all his games in 2016) Hiller has a save % of .941, and is 2-1-1. That includes his game where he came in cold after Ramo got the hook against Carolina.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #28
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
The Predators need to look no further than Calgary to see how 'creating competition' can blow up in your collective faces.
Yes competition sucks, if only Sam Bennett was less competitive, then he'd be more like Rob Schremp and we would have a potential 600 goal, 600 assist future hall of famer.

I'm sick of people blaming the competitive environment for the crappy goaltending. The three flames goalies simply suck and the three of them have the collective mental strength of a wet paper towel. Patrick Roy would not have had any problem with a good goalie breathing down his neck because he would simply go out and kick ass.

It's not the coach or managements fault that the goalies played like crap this year. The situation was not unlike last year and they happened to play well.

The argument doesn't make sense and simply puts the blame on the coaches and management instead of where it should be, which is the goalies themselves.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah my counter against bringing back Ramo is that he faceplanted when faced with competition for the #1 job and only started playing average after Hartley was playing him out of desperation for a goaltender to take the ball and run with it. Flames can't afford their goaltenders taking until December to start playing well next season. Hiller coming out playing well early the season before was a big reason the Flames had a good season. Slow starts are crippling for young teams that are hoping to snag a low playoff seeding and I don't think Ramo has proven he can start a season playing well out of the gates as two seasons in a row now he's come out flat.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hiller has picked it up recently but I still think he would clear waivers at the moment. So basically no value.

IDK. Maybe if he keeps it up, the Flames could get a late draft pick at the deadline for a team that wants an experienced backup for the playoffs. Maybe retain some money if the other team is against the cap. Then call up Poulin to be our backup.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #31
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Yes competition sucks, if only Sam Bennett was less competitive, then he'd be more like Rob Schremp and we would have a potential 600 goal, 600 assist future hall of famer.

I'm sick of people blaming the competitive environment for the crappy goaltending. The three flames goalies simply suck and the three of them have the collective mental strength of a wet paper towel. Patrick Roy would not have had any problem with a good goalie breathing down his neck because he would simply go out and kick ass.

It's not the coach or managements fault that the goalies played like crap this year. The situation was not unlike last year and they happened to play well.

The argument doesn't make sense and simply puts the blame on the coaches and management instead of where it should be, which is the goalies themselves.
That sounds good and all, but professional athletes are a whole another level of human resources. There's a reason most clubs employ a sports psychologist, and goalies in particular are a finicky bunch. It makes sense to me, given that a single shaky moment could cost a game, which has the implications of millions of dollars.

It is almost universally known that a club shouldn't try to juggle 3 goalies. Why do managers feel that way, considering your braveheart speech that the best will emerge and conquer if they're mentally tough? Maybe because athletes perform better when comfortable?

Think about it. Would you do your job well if you left your wife at home in a room full of naked male models? Would you do your job well knowing the company is laying senior staff off and they just a hired a new guy to learn your job? The reality is that there's a psychological aspect to the business. That is the essence of being human.

Last edited by MarkGio; 02-08-2016 at 12:47 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must be a slow day for the RSN guys as Steinberg is making this an afternoon topic. He thinks Ramo has very good trade value and thinks they should trade him. Then he says he thinks they should sign him in the offseason. I'm so confused.

I'm lukewarm in his trade value as we are talking about a guy that is 28 in GAA. As for bringing Ramo back next season I have a feeling the Flames will offer Reimer a long term $4+ million dollar contract to which Ramo won't fit as a high priced backup.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #33
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Must be a slow day for the RSN guys as Steinberg is making this an afternoon topic. He thinks Ramo has very good trade value and thinks they should trade him. Then he says he thinks they should sign him in the offseason. I'm so confused.

I'm lukewarm in his trade value as we are talking about a guy that is 28 in GAA. As for bringing Ramo back next season I have a feeling the Flames will offer Reimer a long term $4+ million dollar contract to which Ramo won't fit as a high priced backup.
My take: He's playing well enough to get a decent return, but because he's playing that well maybe the Flames should keep him because they don't have anything better in the wings.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #34
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They'll be options in the summer. Trade Hillier and Ramo for what you can get now. If that's a couple middling picks, so be it.

The Wings are probably looking for anyone to take Howard of their hands. He might be a great stop gap until Gillies is, fingers crossed, ready.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #35
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
They'll be options in the summer. Trade Hillier and Ramo for what you can get now. If that's a couple middling picks, so be it.

The Wings are probably looking for anyone to take Howard of their hands. He might be a great stop gap until Gillies is, fingers crossed, ready.
I'm not sure Howard is an upgrade on Ramo, that's pretty much a lateral move IMO. Unless you're giving up significantly less for Howard than what Hiller and/or Ramo would go for, I don't see the point. Might as well just re-sign Ramo for 3 years as there is no way he will command the 5.3m Howard makes.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #36
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Regardless of who the Flames sign to play goal the big question becomes, who backs him up? Ortio? Poulin? This becomes almost as important.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #37
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Regardless of who the Flames sign to play goal the big question becomes, who backs him up? Ortio? Poulin? This becomes almost as important.
The Flames can't afford to hope one of them can do it, they need to sign a veteran backup unless they get a top 10 guy (which isn't happening). At the very least, I would like to see a Raanta/Ramo tandem. It wouldn't be the greatest but clear upgrades will cost this team assets it can't afford to give up.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #38
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the suggested trade of Wideman for Malcolm Subban has hit another pothole as Subban is out with a fractured larynx.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...-warmup-injury
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #39
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ramo has played well of late...he did contribute in a big way to blowing the season in the first month though

I agree with what Kerr and others have said, having to set a franchise record for home wins just to get back in the race takes a lot out of a team...and it shows.

With competent goal tending to start the season the team is either in a spot now or realistically close
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #40
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
That sounds good and all, but professional athletes are a whole another level of human resources. There's a reason most clubs employ a sports psychologist, and goalies in particular are a finicky bunch. It makes sense to me, given that a single shaky moment could cost a game, which has the implications of millions of dollars.

It is almost universally known that a club shouldn't try to juggle 3 goalies. Why do managers feel that way, considering your braveheart speech that the best will emerge and conquer if they're mentally tough? Maybe because athletes perform better when comfortable?

Think about it. Would you do your job well if you left your wife at home in a room full of naked male models? Would you do your job well knowing the company is laying senior staff off and they just a hired a new guy to learn your job? The reality is that there's a psychological aspect to the business. That is the essence of being human.
To me if your that weak mentally you probably don't make it to the NHL, especially in a starting goaltender role. Let's face it, a big part of goaltending is mental and confidence based. Think of all the similar types of situations that could have happened like having three potential goalies at the Junior level or earlier. Minor hockey is ripe with politics and favouritism. If your an elite athlete, competition should make you better, not fold like a cheap suit.

The reality is none of the three flames goaltenders are consistently good enough to carry the mail in a starters role in the NHL at this point in time.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote