Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the changes
Yes 68 30.49%
No 155 69.51%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #41
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I voted yes based on what i'd seen on my ipad. Then I visited the site on a desktop and it is the same...

It's like they designed the real website as a mobile site because they were too lazy to do one template for each.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #42
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Updated ps4 NHL.TV app guys! Tried NAS-CGY game from last week. One word....WOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!Amazing, smoooooooth crystal clear picture! PS4 app, just WOOOW for me here in Czech republic. 60fps, smooth as silk!

Now one can only hope for huge Flames run in upcoming weeks :-)

Go Flames!

Greetings from Czech republic!
calgaryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #43
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

After visiting the site again after a few hours, and spending more time on it this time, I can say that I actually hate it more now.

It's like scrolling through twitter or FB. Looks so bad, and is not functional at all. Hover over stats or standings makes you want to barf.

Brutal brutal brutal. The old TSN and old NHL were miles better. Thank God for ESPN still.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #44
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Can any CP poster confirm if they updated their Android or iOS app's? I believe that was also in the works too.

I myself am a Blackberry user and I use the Game Center app which gives me everything I need at the moment. I tried emailing them to see if they will update their Blackberry app but I got a super lazy corporate response about how much they appreciate my business and look forward to serving me on "all platforms" in the future.

Anybody here get an update for Android, iOS or Blackberry?

Thx
Yes, I have the updated NHL iOS App on an iPhone 6+.

I very much like the new layout, with a separate Favorite Team page that includes schedule, highlights, Team stats, etc. The video also seems dramatically better with 60 fps HD. If you have an iPad running iOS 9, it appears that there is also picture-in-picture capability.

I haven't checked out the Apple TV App yet, but I'm hoping for big improvements there too.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame19,289 View Post
Yes, I have the updated NHL iOS App on an iPhone 6+.

I very much like the new layout, with a separate Favorite Team page that includes schedule, highlights, Team stats, etc. The video also seems dramatically better with 60 fps HD. If you have an iPad running iOS 9, it appears that there is also picture-in-picture capability.

I haven't checked out the Apple TV App yet, but I'm hoping for big improvements there too.
I assume that the Apple TV App will only be updated for 4th generation Apple TVs?

Shoot. I got an Apple TV 3rd generation right before the 4G one came out. Oh well.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You used to be able to go to standings:
old:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf
new:
https://www.nhl.com/standings
and see see the whole legume on one page. Now the line spacing is to large, so you have to scroll to see it. I think all the spacing makes it harder to read.

Also, looking at the headings some seem centered, some are left justified, while the data for scores is right justified and the "next game" content is left justified. Design is all over the place...

Ugh, you also used to be able to click on a team in the standings to get a quick pop-up of upcoming games, with some other quick options. Now it just takes you to the team page, where, uhm, Oh, there it is way down on the right side you can click schedule, with an overwhelming amount of whitespace and repeated headers! Just put it in a table! Who designed this crap? Usability has gone waaaay down.

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-01-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #47
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It looks like every other generic hockey site or blog online.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #48
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
It looks like every other generic hockey site or blog online.
Yup. It looks like SB Nation more than anything else. And I stopped going to SB Nation entirely after their last update.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #49
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryboy View Post
Updated ps4 NHL.TV app guys! Tried NAS-CGY game from last week. One word....WOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!Amazing, smoooooooth crystal clear picture! PS4 app, just WOOOW for me here in Czech republic. 60fps, smooth as silk!

Now one can only hope for huge Flames run in upcoming weeks :-)

Go Flames!

Greetings from Czech republic!
I can't wait to try this out.

Any word on whether there'll be a Smart TV app or not? My TV didn't have NHL Gamecenter, but it does have MLB.TV so I'm hoping we get one now with the rebrand.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #50
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has there ever been a website redesign that people liked?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #51
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I voted yes based on what i'd seen on my ipad. Then I visited the site on a desktop and it is the same...

It's like they designed the real website as a mobile site because they were too lazy to do one template for each.
It isn't lazy, it is called responsive web design and it is a new standard. You can't code a website to be good on this device, that device and the other device without forgetting a bunch of devices. It is easier to build one site that is responsive to whatever device it is being displayed on. You get the same consistent look for your website for all of your customers.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #52
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a terrible change. The site is retro looking going back to 2005. I agree with other posters who mentioned that there is too much white and it is too large. I will not be using the site anymore. The CBC Sports website will be my main site.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #53
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

New app crashes non-stop.

Par the course, NHL.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #54
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think it looks nice, but I kind of wish they kept the black theme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
To sum it up:
Godawful work. Not sure if better or worse.

I voted worse because I liked the black background over the new white one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Too much white space. Looks clunky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Brutal brutal brutal. The old TSN and old NHL were miles better. Thank God for ESPN still.
This will be my secondary site and it has the black theme, background. http://www.nbcsports.com/nhl

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #55
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
It isn't lazy, it is called responsive web design and it is a new standard. You can't code a website to be good on this device, that device and the other device without forgetting a bunch of devices. It is easier to build one site that is responsive to whatever device it is being displayed on. You get the same consistent look for your website for all of your customers.
It is lazy, because that design choice begins and ends with "Optimized for mobile, F everyone else."

The reason for all the white space is to keep things separated for mobile users on tiny little cell phone screens. But the formatting breaks down horribly once you get on a laptop or desktop. A phone can fit only a single link on the screen at one time - especially with the ADD-inspired desire for a giant images to spare kids the need to read. But holding my 15" laptop screen and 24" desktop hostage to the same standards is honestly lazy.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #56
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just to test it, I tried the new app on an old Roku 2 I have. This is one of the Roku models that at the beginning on the 2014 season stopped being compatible with the Gamecenter app. NHL and Roku said that it was due to enhanced features. Well, low and behold, the new NHL.TV app works great and has more features than the old "new and improved" gamecenter. I'm glad I had an Xbox to use so that I didn't have to upgrade. But if I did have to upgrade, I'd be extremely angry.
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #57
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Best aspect of the redesign is the 404 page:
https://www.nhl.com/scores/blart
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #58
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Too much white space. Looks clunky.
Agreed. Whats with all these websites thinking that all white is a good color scheme? That's lazy right there. And ESPN is no better.

NBC Sports it is, I guess. At least it's readable.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamefan74 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #59
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, I'm biased as hell because responsive web design is my bread & butter.

I also see all the moving parts from the other side of the equation, templates, dynamic content, and yes, the mobile devices. So take my opinion with a big ol' grain of salt.

But, I really like it.

The hierarchy of information is clearer, the calls to action are well thought out, each element has it's own breathing room, and my my machine at least, it runs a heck of a lot faster. They've also avoided the "100% line length" on body copy, which drives me up the wall when I see it.

I particularly love the background rollover, and tickets/gamecenter calls to action on the scores page, that's the "wow factor" for me.

But there are pain points, the teams section seems like it was an after thought, it's nice to have site|news|tickets|roster|shop for each team on that page, but to the detriment of usability as you're required to scroll down to find any single team. A 3-6 column grid with a 1-2 CTAs for each team would be easier to scan.

Likewise the players section seems to be riding the current tumblr/facebook/linkedin trends a little to hard. It's a design that might work for a single team of 24 players, but doesn't scale well up to 700+ for the entire league. Sure Crosby & Ovechkin are up front, but unless you dive into the search, you wouldn't be at fault for thinking there's only 10 players in the league.

Having said that, when you drill into an individual player's page, there is a lot to like there. Although some of those cards could have been divided into a 2 column layout.

Anyways, as a web designer I'd give it an 8/10, but as I said, my opinion is tainted by my development knowledge. Which should never trump the end user.

Last edited by Regular_John; 02-01-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #60
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Has there ever been a website redesign that people liked?
Exactly this.

People hate change 95% of the time.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: