Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #6101
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Here is what I would trade for Schultz... a contract that I don't want anymore that extends beyond this year. So basically Raymond, Smid, or Wideman. If they insist on a "prospect" back to save face in the press or something like that then just pass along some guy you weren't going to qualify anyways.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #6102
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally if he's a UFA I would take a 1 year and $1M flyer on him. He has natural talent but was rushed into the league, on a team with the worst development system in the league, and was thrown into the deep end from a usage perspective (top pairing not sheltered).

As mentioned he has shown he can contribute offensively - he dominated the AHL and has put up okay counting stats on low scoring Oilers teams.

His Warrior charts actually show him as being pretty strong in most areas of production - expect for the area of shot suppression - the Oilers are horrid in that stat as a team though.

If he doesn't work out it's really no risk - but if he pans out you get to rub it in the Oilers faces forever.

He looks bad on the Oilers playing top pairing minutes with a team that is no good overall, and has no top pairing d-men. I feel like he would look a lot better on a decent team playing bottom pairing minutes with strong offensive zone start splits and second unit PP time.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #6103
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mmmmkay. I'm ready for some Flames trades. Let's get the party started Brad Treliving!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #6104
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What GM would want Schultz at this point of the season? Playoff contenders won't be adding him for depth and any team looking at him as a reclamation project wouldn't want to qualify him at the amount that will be required this summer.

I can see it only if a team is able to get rid of a contract they (really) don't want.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #6105
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
MacDonald isn't playing in Philly because of his contract, not because he isn't an NHL calibre defenseman, and even with all of Edmonton's dmen healthy, they only have 5 that are NHL calibre.

MacDonald would be an upgrade. I doubt the Oilers re-sign Purcell, so it's a wash in money with that player, and it's easier to find a replacement LW making the kind of money that Scultz was making this year. (1 D/LW out, 1 D/LW in)

Yes, Schultz for MacDonald would make Edmonton a better team, now and in the future. I'm glad that there is strong resistance to the idea in Edmonton.

It's a negative value for negative value trade, but Edmonton would get the better player, in a position of need.

As was suggested, re: Carle, I think that this is the kind of return that could be expected from around the league.
The fact that Philly has him buried in the AHL for $900K in cap savings says all you need to know. He stinks.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #6106
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
His Warrior charts actually show him as being pretty strong in most areas of production - expect for the area of shot suppression - the Oilers are horrid in that stat as a team though.
So he's basically Dennis Wideman (who somehow manages to be even worse at shot suppression).
Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #6107
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
So he's basically Dennis Wideman (who somehow manages to be even worse at shot suppression).
It's pretty much identical actually - for this year and last year.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/KN6...splay_count=no

So yeah - he is pretty much Wideman but on a team that doesn't have Gio, & Brodie ahead of him, with worse coaching, and a worse team defense around him as well - then forced to play top pairing minutes.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #6108
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I am sure Stamkos can't wait to sign with a Canadian team when stuff like this happens every time he is in Canada.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #6109
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
25 year old Mark Giordano playing in the KHL because he couldn't get a decent enough contract from the Flames says hi.
Age is highly over rated. He has 242 games of NHL experience, and has stayed the same or regressed during all that time. If someone hasn't figured it out after that much time, the odds of them figuring it out in the future are tiny. Not impossible, but incredibly improbable.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #6110
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I am sure Stamkos can't wait to sign with a Canadian team when stuff like this happens every time he is in Canada.

So Creepy.

I don't get the reason for doing this at all either.

What value do creepy pictures of Stamkos walking around Montreal have?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #6111
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
Maybe Stamkos wants you to think that all of the attention creeps him out. It'll take attention away from the fact that he wants to go to Toronto.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #6112
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What value does that serve? Does the photographer think Stamkos is secretly buying drugs?

God people are sad
Old 02-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #6113
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN now lists Russell as 3rd on it's defenceman trade bait list after Hamonic and Hamhuis.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #6114
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
So Creepy.

I don't get the reason for doing this at all either.

What value do creepy pictures of Stamkos walking around Montreal have?
Oh he's going to love Toronto.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #6115
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Treliving will be able to get anything for Jones?

I suppose the best we could hope for would be a mid-late round pick.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #6116
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I wonder if Treliving will be able to get anything for Jones?

I suppose the best we could hope for would be a mid-late round pick.
If Olli Jokinen could get something last year, then maybe David Jones can get something this year
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #6117
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TSN now lists Russell as 3rd on it's defenceman trade bait list after Hamonic and Hamhuis.
Makes sense. I feel like the ship is sailing on Russell. The further out of the hunt the Flames get, the easier it is to move Russell and gamble on him re-signing in CGY during the FA period. If that's still a key task for Treliving.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #6118
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

i hope with the recent wins that they are not thinking of keeping some of these guys for the sake of a run
Old 02-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #6119
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
i hope with the recent wins that they are not thinking of keeping some of these guys for the sake of a run
Ya let's keep all our UFAs with any value and finish just out of the playoffs like during the Iggy years. That did us well.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #6120
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Ya let's keep all our UFAs with any value and finish just out of the playoffs like during the Iggy years. That did us well.
that actually sound lovely, may I reserve my table now?