Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Hudler confirms there hasn't been any contract extension talk with the Flames

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...er-jiri-hudler

Quote:
Jiri Hudler’s days at the Saddledome are likely numbered.

Question is, will it be a matter of months, weeks or just days before he’s heading to a new hockey home?

Set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, the 32-year-old right-winger admitted Tuesday that he’s had no talks on a contract extension with the Calgary Flames.

“I like Calgary — that’s the thing,” Hudler said. “So we’ll see how it works out.”

We’ve seen this scenario play out plenty of times.

Soon-to-be free-agents are always the most obvious candidates to change addresses prior to the NHL trade deadline, and if Flames GM Brad Treliving isn’t talking contract with Hudler, then you don’t need a wire-tap to figure out that he’s probably listening to offers on the reigning Lady Byng Trophy winner.

And why wouldn’t he?
Kind of confirms what McKenzie said last week:

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
McKenzie: "I don't think there's any chance that Calgary is going to be signing Hudler." #Flames

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
McKenzie: "I think Hudler is looking for a fresh start. I think Calgary recognizes that he's not part of the long-term equation..." #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds about right. Thanks for your time here Jiri, you've been awesome.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good and good. Yeah, it'll be a bummer to lose him as we don't have a guy in the system to replace him and we probably won't be able to attract one of the few decent free agency wingers either. But he isn't in the long term plans. I'd rather take what we can get and then see where we are in the summer.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
Knut

Exp:

Flames got full value out of that UFA signing.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Him wanting to stay gives us the option of re-signing him if we can't get market value. A better situation than Cammalleri's.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know everyone is all ready to dump Hudler, I am not so certain. It really depends on price. There is absolutely nobody in the system to replace his skill set, free agents usually get overpaid, and trades require giving up assets. So...how much more does Hudler need to stay? If it is much above 5 million, then he has priced himself out of Calgary. But if not, who is a better option for top line RW?
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

What if we could re-sign him for the same price on a 2 year deal? Do you do it?
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Nope, for second or third liner money sure. He's not a first line player anymore, was for one season and we don't need any more overpriced players.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hudler's a great guy. I hope he finds success wherever he goes. He was invaluable in bringing Sean and Johnny along and gave the best Lady Bing speech of all time! Full marks for his time with the Flames.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Flames got full value out of that UFA signing.
Absolutely.

The general consensus was negative on the signing, if I remember correctly. But for $4M per, he brought more offense than expected, solid leadership, and some hardware.

Now he is going to bring a return at the deadline.

Fantastic signing.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Nope, for second or third liner money sure. He's not a first line player anymore, was for one season and we don't need any more overpriced players.
$4M is second line money.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #12
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade him for something, then sign him again in free agency like Vermette did for a similarish or less contract? Especially if we strike out on guys like Okposo or something?
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I think you would have to strongly consider it. Who replaces him in the immediate term? It would make the cap situation interesting with Monahan and Gaudreau coming up to big contracts. But that's how all capped professional sports work now. You have a handful of highly paid guys and you fill out the rest of the roster with young guys on minimum deals.

It would certainly mean that Russell can't be re-signed. One of Hiller and Ramo will be gone for sure, likely both. Ortio or someone with a similar cost would surely have to back up whoever ends up being the starter. That starter would have to be on a very reasonable contract. I don't even know if all that makes the numbers work. Obviously depends on how the new contracts work out.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #14
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
I know everyone is all ready to dump Hudler, I am not so certain. It really depends on price. There is absolutely nobody in the system to replace his skill set, free agents usually get overpaid, and trades require giving up assets. So...how much more does Hudler need to stay? If it is much above 5 million, then he has priced himself out of Calgary. But if not, who is a better option for top line RW?
Fair point, but you have to consider the assets you would receive in return if you trade him at the deadline. If there are players you believe are better long term fits, then why settle for Hudler and give up the potential return?

Of course we all want to sign him to a below market contract. There is not a player in the NHL (slight hyperbole) that I would not want to sign to a below market deal. They would either become a productive player or an attractive trade chip.

I can't believe he wants a 1 or 2 year deal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

On sportsnet they note nothing has changed since this was reported and Flames still haven't had extension talks with Hudler
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #16
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best UFA signing the Flames have made in recent memory. My favorite Flame during his stay. Sucks to see him go but the Flames won't be able to afford him. Go out with a bang Hudler!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully he plays great till the deadline and they get great value for him. He's been great here and they've got great value from his contract, egging top trade value for him would be the perfect ending to his time here.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #18
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

You'd think Trevy would at least try to get him to resign at a steal, hometown discount.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #19
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
You'd think Trevy would at least try to get him to resign at a steal, hometown discount.
Why? He is a declining small forward. Not what they need
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #20
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Hudler has been so bad this year. He's either fighting a long term nagging injury or he's checked out. Either way do not want