Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Like it from the Jets standpoint?
Yep 139 68.14%
Nope 65 31.86%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #61
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I take Gio at $6.75M over Buff at $7.5M. I think Gio won't breakdown as quick when they're older. He does keep himself at tip top shape.
This does make the Gio contract look good from an AAV perspective, but Gio is older.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #62
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

I gotta say, that Buff, IMO, is one of those incredibly OVERRATED guys, that comes up from time to time.

I am, clearly, a Blackhawk fan, and unlike many other 'Hawk fans, Buff is NOT the player I've regretted most about losing to sal cap issues.

His deficiencies as a D-man...poor lateral mobility, poor judgments on Offensive Blue line decisions, poor discipline at critical times, seem to be still evident.

On the 'Hawks, he was a MUCH BETTER RW than he was at RD, but, even then, it was more his big body on the PP, than any great skill.

Congrats to Buff, on getting the cash...but, I don't feel that this will be money well spent by the Jets.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #63
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
I gotta say, that Buff, IMO, is one of those incredibly OVERRATED guys, that comes up from time to time.

I am, clearly, a Blackhawk fan, and unlike many other 'Hawk fans, Buff is NOT the player I've regretted most about losing to sal cap issues.

His deficiencies as a D-man...poor lateral mobility, poor judgments on Offensive Blue line decisions, poor discipline at critical times, seem to be still evident.

On the 'Hawks, he was a MUCH BETTER RW than he was at RD, but, even then, it was more his big body on the PP, than any great skill.

Congrats to Buff, on getting the cash...but, I don't feel that this will be money well spent by the Jets.
Agree to disagree, I guess. His possession metrics tell a much different story
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #64
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
12 Jets players day to day with lower back strain
nm
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #65
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
This does make the Gio contract look good from an AAV perspective, but Gio is older.
Only by two years. I don't think that makes much of a difference, especially when you consider their respective conditioning.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #66
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

That might be true but how could the Jets let him walk with nobody to replace him? He definitely has his weaknesses but if you have no way of replacing him, and he fits your contention window, I think you have to sign him. That and he wanted to stay in the Peg.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #67
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good risk for the Jets to take. I am not a huge fan of his, but the 5 year deal taking him to 35 is pretty reasonable.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #68
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted ye because: the Jets needed to sign him; the term isn't bad; and the Jets needed to sign him.

Makes the Giordano contract look even better IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say yes. Not a bad contract. Give up dollars instead of term to fit the team's window and the player's window.

Any longer and you're playing roulette with his performance so you sacrifice cash, which is something the team needed to prove that they were willing to do.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #70
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

WPG has enough solid defencemen that they can let Buff be Buff. Last couple of years will probably hurt, as the average person's metabolism starts slowing down around 30, so if he's had trouble staying in shape to this point...

If they could flip Myers for Hamonic they would save $1.7M, which might help with Trouba. How much is Trouba going to cost?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #71
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Myers is a great contract and deal for the Jets. He's locked up for 3 more years at a price point less than his cap hit.

Zero chance he gets traded.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #72
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good deal for the Jets. The cap hit is about what you'd expect. But the term is great. Elite defenceman actually age pretty well. Buff is a leader on and off the ice and the Jets are a better team with him.

Overall, solid deal for both sides.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #73
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Myers is a great contract and deal for the Jets. He's locked up for 3 more years at a price point less than his cap hit.

Zero chance he gets traded.
I don't disagree, but Hamonic is on an even better deal for 1 year longer, and everyone's seemed concerned about their ability to re-sign Trouba (which I don't really understand now that I've looked more at their situation). Obviously just a hypothetical, but would you rather have Trouba and Hamonic, or Myers and some cap space to attract UFA's to that bustling metropolis?

Hamilton, Faulk, Larsson, OEL are recent 21 yo RFA signings, and all were between 4-6. Karlsson and Pietrangelo came in at 6.5 a few years ago.

Stafford (4.35) and Pavelec (3.9) are the only other guys at relevant money without a NTC, so if you need to save some money Myers for Hamonic + would make sense. Then again, I suppose the NTC most guys have are probably more like "anywhere but Edmonton" clauses
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #74
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jets were in danger of becoming Edmonton in terms of talent leaving and not being able to sign new guys. This will help stem the tide quite a bit.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:00 AM   #75
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was expecting longer term. 7.6 isn't exactly cheap or a 'home-town discount', but the term provides much lower risk for the Jets. I wouldn't be able to complain about it at all if I was a Jets' fan.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #76
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not going to defend or attack the deal itself - but this is his 6th season outside of Chicago. Very likely he's a different player now than he was 6 years ago.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #77
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is only one defenseman with more points over the last 4 years. He's good
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #78
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Only by two years. I don't think that makes much of a difference, especially when you consider their respective conditioning.
Gio is two years older and his contract runs one year longer. The Flames are taking on far more risk to save $750k per year.

Byfuglien has been more durable over the last few seasons too - though Gio's injury last year was obviously just a bad luck/freak incident.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote