Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #81
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Great concert. Didn't play The Pot though, which sucks. Great visuals though.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #82
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome show, also disappointed they didn't play the pot but Dany Carey's drum solo was mind bottling
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #83
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

My ears are still ringing. That was awesome!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #84
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I was thoroughly entertained. The band looked and sounded great. The visuals, screens and lasers were awesome.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #85
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Maynard come to the front of the stage?

It's actually fine with me if he doesn't, gives me more time to focus on Danny Carey or the visuals.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #86
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Did Maynard come to the front of the stage?

It's actually fine with me if he doesn't, gives me more time to focus on Danny Carey or the visuals.
Not really, he stayed back in the shadows for most of the show.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #87
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
My ears are still ringing. That was awesome!
I always wear ear protection at shows. Used to wear foam earplugs, but now I love dubs: www.getdubs.com. Super cheap and they don't mute too much of the music. I took them out every so often last night to get a comparison and it was unbearably loud without them. Highly recommend.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #88
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Not really, he stayed back in the shadows for most of the show.
I sure wish he was front and center like the old days-Powerful front man for a little guy. Great show last night, loud AF. Setlist was exactly as predicted but that's TOOL, their visuals are tied in so much it's probably tough to switch it up much.

aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #89
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show last night was unreal. Finishing with stinkfist was awesome. I also would have loved to have heard Sober and Lateralus but I wouldn't have wanted any of the songs they played removed. Opiate was amazing.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #90
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Such a good show. I liked how respectful they were of the aging members of the audience. Stuck to a schedule, minimal banter, scheduled intermission instead of encore, let us know when the last song was, finished exactly on time. Hearing Opiate and Sweat was friggin awesome too.

My favourite non-musical moment was when I looked over a section and saw some banger with a giant head of hair doing the hair whip. While seated. Right in between the two dudes sitting in front of him. I can't imagine how disgusting that would be to be slapped with that wet, greasy mop.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #91
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Awesome show, also disappointed they didn't play the pot but Dany Carey's drum solo was mind bottling
This. So much this.

I swear at one point he was playing 3 different beats at the same time, and he just made it look all so effortless.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #92
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great show. A couple of audio and video glitches, but not a big deal.

Honestly the only downside to the concert was the opening act. Totally different genre than TOOL, don't understand why he is touring with them. Last TOOL concert they had, the now unfortunately named, ISIS which was a cool band to discover. This opening act was slightly above the house just playing music from an ipod.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #93
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Great show. A couple of audio and video glitches, but not a big deal.

Honestly the only downside to the concert was the opening act. Totally different genre than TOOL, don't understand why he is touring with them. Last TOOL concert they had, the now unfortunately named, ISIS which was a cool band to discover. This opening act was slightly above the house just playing music from an ipod.
Wasn't The Crystal Method the opening act? They were kind of a big deal in the 90's, along with The Prodigy & The Chemical Brothers.... now get off my lawn.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #94
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Wasn't Crystal Method the opening act? They were kind of a big deal in the 90's, along with The Prodigy & The Chemical Brothers.... now get off my lawn.
Yes it was The Crystal Method. I knew who they were, they just aren't for me and I thought they were out of place at this concert.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #95
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Yes it was The Crystal Method. I knew who they were, they just aren't for me and I thought they were out of place at this concert.
That's fair. For me the overlap between TOOL & The Crystal Method is "Burned CD's I had in my car during college"
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #96
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I always wear ear protection at shows. Used to wear foam earplugs, but now I love dubs: www.getdubs.com. Super cheap and they don't mute too much of the music. I took them out every so often last night to get a comparison and it was unbearably loud without them. Highly recommend.
Yeah, one day your ears might ring after a show, and won't stop. Tinnitus is hell to live with. I love music and want to enjoy it for the rest of my life. I even bought a dB meter (they're cheap) and keep sound levels under 85dB. I crank it once in awhile but never for long.

I was talking to the sound guy at the Descendents show last month and he told me wearing ear plugs was "offensive". I love punk music but I'm glad I've grown out of the ####ty attitude that often comes with it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #97
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Loved the show. Third Eye was such a treat to see performed live.

As for ear plugs, there is an important point that some people I've talked to need to understand. Proper concert ear plugs make everything sound better. We aren't talking about foam shoved in your ear that muddles everything. Concert ear plugs can filter out some aggressive noise leaving just the music, and at a safer decibel level.

Bear with me on this...it's analogous to sunglasses. Cuts out the annoying glare, protects your eyes from damage, and doesn't make your vision worse. Actually, makes your vision in those conditions better.

I've used a pair of these Etymotic high fidelity ear plugs for every concert I've gone to in the last 10 years.

Maybe the first time I had a pang of self-consciousness when I put them in. But after experiencing how much better a concert can be, I feel sorry for people who don't get the same enhanced experience. At the end of the show, you can pop them out, and zero ringing in your ears.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #98
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2 things.

Electronic music can be alright, I like a lot of the sounds they create but seeing any of these guys in a live environment is just ridiculous. You're basically watching some bozo clown wave his arms while he plays recordings of what he did at home or in the studio. There is a place for all types of music and art but please get this stuff away from live stages where real instuments are played. And I am proved wrong constantly by sold ofut EDM shows all over the world, haha.

Did anyone notice a couple of security guys with dark shirts and in-ears scoping the crowd? I was wondering if they were Tool's personal security, they were built but not big and goofy like most bouncers/bodybuilders, more military types. Might make sense with Maynard's military service in the past.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #99
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
2 things.

Electronic music can be alright, I like a lot of the sounds they create but seeing any of these guys in a live environment is just ridiculous. You're basically watching some bozo clown wave his arms while he plays recordings of what he did at home or in the studio. There is a place for all types of music and art but please get this stuff away from live stages where real instuments are played. And I am proved wrong constantly by sold ofut EDM shows all over the world, haha.
There is an art to DJ'ing, but from the crowd it's very difficult to differentiate between a high level performance and some guy pressing play. For example, this is Skrillex putting on an elite level performance, but it's hard to tell, even being able to watch everything he does.

There is also an art to building a connection with an audience and how they present their set. People show up because they want to dance and celebrate the music they love with like minded folk. EDM crowds are also a lot more inclined to dress up and dance because their really isn't much happening on stage.

Last edited by Matata; 06-15-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #100
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
2 things.

Did anyone notice a couple of security guys with dark shirts and in-ears scoping the crowd? I was wondering if they were Tool's personal security, they were built but not big and goofy like most bouncers/bodybuilders, more military types. Might make sense with Maynard's military service in the past.
I saw a guy with a beard an a blue shirt that looked like he would rip your arms off instead of just telling you to not take pictures-he was HUGE!
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote