Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #61
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here's a good (and free!) analysis of intermittent fasting. The citations appears sound to me and looks like it mirrors the findings of the Leangains site.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

For the record, I've never actually tried IF. I'll give it a whirl in the fall and see what happens.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #62
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Move to Asia...

in 3 months of travel I am down 5 pant sizes on my waist and 25 pounds...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #63
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I perused this when you quoted this guy before, and I'm really not seeing how his claims are any more substantiated than a lot of the fad diets out there. He appears to wildly cite studies here and there as some sort of mishmash of science.
IF isn't a 'diet'... he isn't selling anything, there's no secret method in losing weight, he's just sharing the knowledge of a method to structure your calorie intake in a day where you can stuff yourself with food, not be hungry AND still lose weight. I swear by intermittent fasting as when I was cutting, I didn't feel hungry at all, ate anything I wanted... as along as I hit my protein, fats, carbs limits... I burned fat without any cardio, just a strong diet and weight lifting.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #64
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was living in Victoria I lost a lot of weight by just walking everywhere (combined with 3-4 gym visits a week). When the weather is warmer walk as many places as you can, you'd be surprised how many calories you burn just on a walk.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #65
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
IF isn't a 'diet'... he isn't selling anything, there's no secret method in losing weight, he's just sharing the knowledge of a method to structure your calorie intake in a day where you can stuff yourself with food, not be hungry AND still lose weight. I swear by intermittent fasting as when I was cutting, I didn't feel hungry at all, ate anything I wanted... as along as I hit my protein, fats, carbs limits... I burned fat without any cardio, just a strong diet and weight lifting.
I'd suggest that the bolded portion had far more to do with your results than the timing of your eating. That said, it does seem like an interesting approach, although ultimately not really sustainable for the vast majority of people.

Last edited by valo403; 04-10-2012 at 02:20 PM.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #66
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

having a high ratio of nutrients to calory intake is important. The more actual nutrients per calory the healthier you will be. Eating empty calories ruins the body, it trains the body to be less efficient. Empty calories = almost all baking and desserts, pastries, refined sugars, fried foods etc. etc. The closer from the ground the the ingredients you eat are the less you will weigh. Vegetables, fruits and teas will cause your body to lose weight. Lots of meats, carbs, dairies and empty calories will make you gain weight. There are complex diets you can go on, but the easiest way to lose weight and be healthy is to eat way more fruits and vegetables and eat way less of the others. I eat a diet primarily of vegetables and fruits and don't gain a pound even during my longest stretches where I can't spend time exercising. If I eat pastries and meats and dairies I'll balloon in a month.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #67
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I'd suggest that the bolded portion had far more to do with your results than the timing of your eating. That said, it does seem like an interesting approach, although ultimately not really sustainable for the vast majority of people.
Yeah, obviously without a good diet and a consistent weight lifting regimen my results wouldn't where it is now.. but before I started IF, I believed like everyone else that 6 small meals every 2-3 hours a day was standard to up my metabolism therefore burn fat easier. I tried for a month... was not successful with it since I was hungry most of the time and would end up ordering a pizza or going to a drive thru. I'd rather eat 3 large ****ing meals feeling more than satisfied than eating 6 tiny meals still craving for more food.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #68
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektor View Post
having a high ratio of nutrients to calory intake is important. The more actual nutrients per calory the healthier you will be. Eating empty calories ruins the body, it trains the body to be less efficient. Empty calories = almost all baking and desserts, pastries, refined sugars, fried foods etc. etc. The closer from the ground the the ingredients you eat are the less you will weigh. Vegetables, fruits and teas will cause your body to lose weight. Lots of meats, carbs, dairies and empty calories will make you gain weight. There are complex diets you can go on, but the easiest way to lose weight and be healthy is to eat way more fruits and vegetables and eat way less of the others. I eat a diet primarily of vegetables and fruits and don't gain a pound even during my longest stretches where I can't spend time exercising. If I eat pastries and meats and dairies I'll balloon in a month.
You had me until you said that lots of meat will make you gain weight. Then you say that lots of carbs will make you gain weight. Then you say to eat lots of fruit. Fruits are almost pure carbohydrate. Too much of anything will make it easier for you to gain weight.

A varying diet of real food is best. Just eat real food. Play around with your protein, carb and fat ratios and find what works well for you. Just eat real food. Did I mention just eat real food?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #69
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Everything you just wrote down is strong broscience. Read this:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
Damn, I've read some arrogant writers, but this guy takes the cake!!!
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #70
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
You had me until you said that lots of meat will make you gain weight. Then you say that lots of carbs will make you gain weight. Then you say to eat lots of fruit. Fruits are almost pure carbohydrate. Too much of anything will make it easier for you to gain weight.

A varying diet of real food is best. Just eat real food. Play around with your protein, carb and fat ratios and find what works well for you. Just eat real food. Did I mention just eat real food?
You can eat McDonalds everyday and still lose weight... just eat under 2000 calories.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #71
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You can eat McDonalds everyday and still lose weight... just eat under 2000 calories.
Absolutely, you can.

Which is why weight is a poor indicator of long term health status.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #72
tenyardrambo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I lost 55lbs in 3 months. I worked 60% physical job, not hard work. I drank water, diet pop and never ate past 8pm.
tenyardrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #73
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Check out The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. His philosophy is kinda "get the best results with the least possible amount of time" type thing. Slow-carb diet and some specific exercises. Worked extremely well for me. Though, I work mostly from home, so regulating my diet was a cinch.
This. I lost 15 lbs in one month. 25 total over 3 months. Essentially I replaced all high gi foods, like bread, pasta, etc with tons of spinach, peppers and broccoli. I kept eating protein. Actually I increased my protein intake. Now I'm eating more of a paleo diet.

Last edited by bossy22; 04-10-2012 at 04:43 PM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #74
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post

eating too much meat is much worse than eating too many vegetables or fruits because of the fact that most meats are not real food. Most meats come between two patties, they're infused with preservatives or they are fried. The very reason you say to eat real food is the same as why I say eat mostly fruits and vegetables. Walk into the grocery store, in the produce section you have mostly real food and then pretty much the rest of the store is all fake and or processed food, unless you get some fresh cut meat. Whole grains are important, and cutting them out completely is a mistake, I agree.

That's why I said a diet mostly of fruits and vegetables with the extreme emphasis on vegetables. Too much of one thing over another is bad for you, but if you had to live on one food group the best choice would be vegetables especially the green and leafy ones. I've lived on Kale, Spinach, Celery and Broccoli and felt fine. I've also lived on Cheeseburgers and fries and I felt like dying, so yeah, eat real foods.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #75
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
eating too much meat is much worse than eating too many vegetables or fruits because of the fact that most meats are not real food. Most meats come between two patties, they're infused with preservatives or they are fried. The very reason you say to eat real food is the same as why I say eat mostly fruits and vegetables. Walk into the grocery store, in the produce section you have mostly real food and then pretty much the rest of the store is all fake and or processed food, unless you get some fresh cut meat. Whole grains are important, and cutting them out completely is a mistake, I agree.

That's why I said a diet mostly of fruits and vegetables with the extreme emphasis on vegetables. Too much of one thing over another is bad for you, but if you had to live on one food group the best choice would be vegetables especially the green and leafy ones. I've lived on Kale, Spinach, Celery and Broccoli and felt fine. I've also lived on Cheeseburgers and fries and I felt like dying, so yeah, eat real foods.
Totally depedns on what your needs are. Most green vegetables are composed almost entirely of materials human beings cannot digest. The reason they are healthy for some people is that they are devoid of calories. If you need to lose weight but want to feel full, then eat vegetables, lots of them.

If you are engaged in an activity like weight lifting or competitive sport, then you need high amounts of protein to repair and build muscle. Most vegetables contain zero protein. Therefore, eating more meat can be beneficial. And when people are saying eat more meat to lose weight, they aren't talking about cheeseburgers. It's lean fish, chicken, beef, etc...

A diet of lean meats can support you. Vegetables, on the other hand, are devoid of calories, and you will die if you rely solely on them. They are largely fibre that your digestive system cannot break down. Certain vegetables do have vitamins. Brocolli, for instance, is high in vitamin C. So it's a good vegetable to supplement a largely meat based diet.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #76
BlackRedGold25
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
eating too much meat is much worse than eating too many vegetables or fruits because of the fact that most meats are not real food. Most meats come between two patties, they're infused with preservatives or they are fried.
What sort of drugs do you take to come up with these whacked out ideas?
BlackRedGold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #77
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I guess we just disagree on this, Vektor.

I believe that animal products are just as important to health as fruits and vegetables. Of course, I also buy all of my meat from a local farmer's market where all of their animals are 100% free range and grass finished.

Speaking of feeling like death, I used to live a block away from an extremely popular vegetarian / vegan restaurant in Vancouver. (I try to avoid the place like a Ron Swanson, but my wife likes it, so we go occasionally). It's like the walking dead in there. Seriously. I find it hilarious that these vegemites walk around like they are perfect health incarnate. Yet every one of them looks pale, or worse, grey, and all of the women have zero lean muscle mass and impressive muffin tops. (Not saying your fruit and veggie diet is unhealthy, Vektor, just a little anecdote)

PS. I think you'd be surprised at the nutritional content of healthy animal products. I think it was Robb Wolf of The Paleo Diet who spoke of a study where they blended up either grass fed meats or a variety of vegetables and had an independent lab analyze the 'paste'. Each time they did it, the animal specimen showed higher amounts of virtually every nutrient. Don't quite me on this though. The gist is correct, but I'm going off a few years memory here.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #78
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Google "alkaline diet". Your welcome.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #79
allicat
Draft Pick

Almost everyone here is focusing on losing weight, which is great and all, but the point is to be healthy. It's one thing to drop 100 pounds eating 3 huge meals a day and skipping breakfast, or severly limiting carbs/proteins/sugars/etc, but it's another thing to keep that going for your entire life. Eat sensibly, if it comes with ingridients you can't read think twice and try to be as active as possible (our bodies were made to move) and you'll be healthy. Eating right and being active is beneficial for our overall health and life expectancy, and sometimes it can make us look a little hotter too. The point is to be healthy on the inside, and any type of fad diet or extreme plan (in any direction - like eating MCDONALDS 3 times a day?!?! ) is a bad way to accomplish that.
allicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #80
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
Google "alkaline diet". Your welcome.
If you like actual science, don't google "alkaline diet". You're welcome.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post: