Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #21
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
?

No one should consume "aspartame" because it tastes like crap - not because it has any adverse health effect. There is ZERO link between aspartame and any negative effects.

Same with the gluten crap - saying "don't eat gluten" or "don't eat dairy" is a LAZY way to try to encourage a healthy diet. Carbs are a high source of calories, as is dairy fat. That's the ONLY reason people suggest this - unless you are 1) lactose intolerant, or 2) celiac, these restrictions do not matter.

Want to lose weight? It's pretty simple, but requires work and diligence. Track your calories. There are plenty of calorie calculators out there and most are backed up by what people like to call "science".

If you want to lose 2 pounds a week, you'll probably have a daily caloric intake of 1500. Go for an hour long walk? Add 150 to that total. It's that simple.

Eating well + exercise. Why are people so dense about this?
I'm not going to pull up study after study showing why these points are correct. I've done it too many times.
Watch the documentary "Hungry For Change" if you need a shortened version of why these points are valid.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reputable dietitian that supports this as a healthy alternative.
Look up Intermittent Fasting... Lose weight eating like a king.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I have been drinking fruit smoothies (frozen fruit, protein powder, spinach leaves, flax seed etc.) every morning instead of the usual bready crap for the last year or so. That carb/bread drop alone has made me lose 5-10 pounds (I'm not a big dude, but always seem to be a smidge over my ideal weight).

It's a pretty easy change in terms of lifestyle, but honestly, it's been awesome.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
HockeyKhan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtofuhr86 View Post
This is probably the 100'th thread about this, sorry I tried to find others and the ones that I did, didn't quite answer the question I had. Plus that fad is ever changing.

I am looking to drop a few pounds maybe 10 to 15 range...the dilemma I have is that I work in Fort Mac, commute back and forth, work 12 to 14 hour days,my wife has a business I work on that with her on my days off 8 to 10 hours a day, we have 3 active kids, my parents are both elderly and need help....long story short I don't have time to hit the gym or exercise much. So I am looking to lose some weight (the easy way) by taking a shake, doing a cleanse etc. short term or long term. I am able to monitor my diet but just don't have the energy, will, time to exercise. What got me thinking about this is a fellow truck driver at work took some "drops" for a few months, and watched what he ate. It was expensive but he went from 225 to 180 over 3 to 4 months.
I find spending half an hour on the toilet with my iPad does wonders for losing weight!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reputable dietitian that supports this as a healthy alternative.
RE: Skipping Breakfast - yeah I know, but it works.
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
None of what he said has anything to do with that. If you are massively overweight and unhealthy simple things will result in large weight loss. If you're looking to drop the last 10 lbs you're going to need to make very different choices to do so.
Eating what your bodies daily caloric needs and not going over, while avoiding unhealthy things like sugar aren't going to result in a healthy body weight? News to me!
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Look up Intermittent Fasting... Lose weight eating like a king.
Skipping breakfast every day and going on fast regimens are different things
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
Eating what your bodies daily caloric needs and not going over, while avoiding unhealthy things like sugar aren't going to result in a healthy body weight? News to me!
Read what you responded to, you're not even addressing the same points.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #29
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Read what you responded to, you're not even addressing the same points.
What you said was that my tips only work if you have a lot of weight to lose at 1st, then, the last 10-15 lbs you need to do something extra. What I'm saying is over a long enough time period what I suggested will bring anyone down to their ideal weight so long as you actually do it. If you eat your bodies daily caloric requirement and avoid sugars and simple carbs you will be a healthy weight. You're just wrong here period.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Eating well + exercise. Why are people so dense about this?
Because eating healthy and exercising suck and people are lazy and want to lose 100 lbs in 2 days by eating Potato Chips and watching TV.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable dietitian that wasn't chubby, looked like crap, and was frequently ill.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #32
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Skipping breakfast every day and going on fast regimens are different things
I actually followed a fasting regimen which was a 16 hour fast and 8 hour feeding window. Basically I skipped breakfast and ate my first meal at noon and last meal at 8 pm. Went down from 15% body fat to 10% in 3 months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #33
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Because eating healthy and exercising suck and people are lazy and want to lose 100 lbs in 2 days by eating Potato Chips and watching TV.
ding ding ding

Droping lbs is easy, put burn more calories than you intake. Do this by exercise (try to pick something you enjoy) and by eating good quality healthy foods.

simple simple simple
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #34
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html

Read this. This guy is a ****ing genius... he debunks almost every `diet`myth out there.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #35
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
What you said was that my tips only work if you have a lot of weight to lose at 1st, then, the last 10-15 lbs you need to do something extra. What I'm saying is over a long enough time period what I suggested will bring anyone down to their ideal weight so long as you actually do it. If you eat your bodies daily caloric requirement and avoid sugars and simple carbs you will be a healthy weight. You're just wrong here period.
Dude, again read what you were responding to. He was talking about aspartame and its effects, which is a debatable area, and the way that your body processes certain things. Somehow you seem to think that because you've lost 100lbs you're an expert on those areas.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I really enjoy using the LoseIt app on my phone (i think it's available on iOS and Android). It's a pretty basic calorie counter, but I like how I can see a graph of how many calories I can eat in a day if I want to lose a certain amount of weight. I like it because:

- It's easy to see where your problems are in your diet (if you reach your limit by 3pm, you know your breakfasts/lunches are crap)
- It's motivating to get some exercise in as you can enter that too and drop your caloric score for the day.

I personally have had good luck loosing what I want just with my diet, but if I ever want to bend a rule (going out for a pub night), I know I can do some activity for about an hour and give myself a caloric buffer.

Focusing on a number isn't that great of a strategy, but it works well for me. I like having goals and being able to map them visually. I'm not as motivated otherwise.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #37
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are you able to do your commute by cycling? That's two guaranteed workouts a day.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #38
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a calorie counter for a couple of weeks and it was all I needed. After I started to understand the volume of certain types of food I could eat, I found that I didn't really need the counter anymore. It was too much work to keep up, but it was very important for me to get started.

One thing that I learned from my diet is that I freaking love peppers. About half of my lunch consists of a big container of yellow, green and red peppers, cucumbers, carrots and broccoli, and I love it. Never thought I would. So few carolies, but so tasty.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #39
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The zero carb thing is a bunch of bull####. Your body needs carbs as a energy source, of you don't have any it's going too start eating your muscles for energy and deprive your body of protein. What you need to do is watch your carb intake. Eat them early, because you burn energy during the day and at night you don't use that energy.

Eat oats, sprouted grain bread, brown rice. Try to get most of your carbs from veggies. Best thing too do is pre plan your meals, cook them for the week and put them in containers.

Get yourself s good protein powder, of you get hungry make a shake as a snack, or be creative and make protein brownies.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this thread is a pretty good demonstration of the fact that there are dozens of possible answers to the OP's question. Some are better than others, but at the end of the day the biggest thing is finding a plan that works for you and sticking to it.