Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #201
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not life ruining, but it is throwing an employee under the bus. It would be like a pipeline company after a spill publicly naming the engineer who screwed up. Not something that shows a lot of leadership.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's not life ruining, but it is throwing an employee under the bus. It would be like a pipeline company after a spill publicly naming the engineer who screwed up. Not something that shows a lot of leadership.
What? No.

Its like a pipeline company after a spill firing the VP responsible for making sure there werent any spills.

You're not firing the engineers or the riggers you're firing the guy whose job it was to make sure that the engineers and the riggers followed the protocol that you designed specifically to prevent screwups.

The guy who designs the system to prevent screwups is the one that has to take the axe when the people who employ his 'screwup proof system' screw up anyways. Within reason.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #203
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And 'not life ruining?'

Okay, they wont be 'ruined' per se. But some people only get one shot at an Oscar. Some never get one.

It can be life 'altering' so it isnt a completely irrelevant mistake.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #204
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You're not firing the engineers or the riggers you're firing the guy whose job it was to make sure that the engineers and the riggers followed the protocol that you designed specifically to prevent screwups.

The guy who designs the system to prevent screwups is the one that has to take the axe when the people who employ his 'screwup proof system' screw up anyways. Within reason.
OK. In this case, is Brian Cullinan the engineer/rigger, or the guy who designed the system?
Old 03-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #205
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK. In this case, is Brian Cullinan the engineer/rigger, or the guy who designed the system?
From what I understand hes the Managing Partner for PwC in Southern California. Whatever system was operating was done under his supervision.

If its under your supervision then its your responsibility.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #206
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A lot of talk about something that was likely set up from the beginning.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #207
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #208
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You know, I've seen the film, and I didn't actually pick up on the gayness.

Are you blind and deaf?

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #209
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the people with the lowest status were definitely thrown under the bus.

At last, a new Oscars cliche: ‘I’d like to blame all the little people …’

Quote:
...And for sure, the pain is real. Though not perhaps as real as the pain of Ruiz and Cullinan, who now have to have security in their homes because their addresses were widely disseminated and they and their families have received death threats, because that is how the world works now when individuals are singled out in the media and most people have access to the internet.

This, incidentally, is mentioned just as an aside at the bottom of articles sneering at Cullinan and Ruiz, because what really matters is that for two minutes people thought the wrong movie won, not that some poor muppets are currently living in fear. After all, God forbid Warren Beatty should feel awkward for even a second.

Leaving aside the very strong urge to shout, “FOR GOD’S SAKE, GET A GRIP – IT WAS A MIX-UP AT AN AWARDS CEREMONY”, there is no doubt that Cullinan and Ruiz had one job, and they fumbled it. But if anyone thinks this means they now deserve to be humiliated and traduced on a global scale, well, they care about the sanctity of the Oscars a lot more than I do, and I’ve been four times.

The Academy found the mix-up humiliating; the truth is, it’s been the reaction of all the key players afterwards – the Academy, the celebrities, the media – that has been embarrassing. To err is human, to kick people in the face to salvage the egos of the beautiful folk – well, that’s Hollywood.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #210
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It's funny you posted that cliff because I just saw an article this morning blaming both the PwC guys basically accusing them of being fame whores.

They wanted and liked the attention they got, were rumoured to be too busy mingling with stars and live tweeting their experience back stage and that's how they screwed up the envelope thing.

I'm not saying they deserve it, just that maybe they should have taken their jobs a little more seriously than focusing on scoring a selfie with Emma Stone.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #211
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It's funny you posted that cliff because I just saw an article this morning blaming both the PwC guys basically accusing them of being fame whores.

They wanted and liked the attention they got, were rumoured to be too busy mingling with stars and live tweeting their experience back stage and that's how they screwed up the envelope thing.

I'm not saying they deserve it, just that maybe they should have taken their jobs a little more seriously than focusing on scoring a selfie with Emma Stone.
I wouldn't deny they screwed up. But the ferocious haste with which everyone else involved - all of whom have higher status in Hollywood - have singled the two individuals out and evaded any responsibility themselves is breathtaking. Even by the low standards of that status-crazed pack of narcissists.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #212
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't believe people care about anything Hollywood.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #213
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You don't like that people care about Hollywood, or don't believe that they care about Hollywood?

The supermarket checkout is devoted to magazines and tabloids, entirely about celebrities.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #214
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put me in Polak's camp. Releasing the guy's name so broadly was a dick move. Even if it wouldn't take much internet sleuthery to find it, a company should never release the name of an employee in a case like this.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #215
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hey man, if Hollywood cares about the Oilsands then we should care about Hollywood!

These clowns cant even sort envelopes correctly, could you imagine them trying to manage an Oilfield Project?

Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #216
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh, while this is an unfortunate mistake nobody died. this guy made a mistake - stuff happens. my guess is that next year the Oscar's will have better tv ratings because of this.

I thought a read a suggestion that the academy is re-examining their relationship with PWC - part of me wants to go yikes, it is one mistake (although perhaps there is lots of issues behind the scenes) and you are ready to bail on a 90 year relationship.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
meh, while this is an unfortunate mistake nobody died. this guy made a mistake - stuff happens. my guess is that next year the Oscar's will have better tv ratings because of this.

I thought a read a suggestion that the academy is re-examining their relationship with PWC - part of me wants to go yikes, it is one mistake (although perhaps there is lots of issues behind the scenes) and you are ready to bail on a 90 year relationship.
It depends on the result right, if the wrong movie wins then one studio gets to market their film as an Oscar winner while another may not (I dont know the specifics) but its a significant dollar amount that depends on the results in an envelope.

In a way I see where you're coming from, but from another perspective how much does the Academy pay PwC to make sure the right name is in the right envelope and is given to the right person?

Its not a hard job and I'm sure their billings are pretty sweet to do it.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #218
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy had one job and that was to hand out 24 envelopes. He was told by the academy he was not allowed to tweet during the ceremonies and he ignored that and tweeted throughout and of course was tweeting a picture of Stone leading up to the gaffe. It's a shame about the death threats but IMO he deserves all the scrutiny as he's a straight up jackass.

Also this has is a bad look for PricewaterhouseCoopers because if you are a large company employing them do your accounting how good can you feel about the competence when you have a partner that's proven to be insubordinate and more worried about social status than the task at hand? He wanted to be on the big stage and IMO he has to live with the backlash of screwing up on the big stage.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #219
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wait, did he seriously tweet a picture of Emma Stone? That's hilarious.

I made that part up in my post, I just figured that's who I'd want pictures of/with.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #220
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Wait, did he seriously tweet a picture of Emma Stone? That's hilarious.

I made that part up in my post, I just figured that's who I'd want pictures of/with.
Yes he did just two minutes before the final announcement.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: