Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #4501
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've been to Tokyo a bunch of times and the Xbox console and games sections are always super small. Even the amazing second hand stores.

Some other numbers I saw on GAF - crazy ratios. The Xbone doesn't have much of a footprint out side of English speaking countries really - it's basically just North America and maybe the UK where the "Thunderdome" is kinda sorta close.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173566

LT sales:
[PS4] 2,800,000 (68%)
[WIU] 690,000 (17%)
[XB1] 600,000 (15%)

2015 sales:
[PS4] 1,400,000
[XB1] 270,000

2015 Holidays sales
[PS4] 570,000
[XB1] 110,000

EDIT: France Numbers as well:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173692

Sales in 2015:
[PS4] 1,000,000 (+20%)
[XB1] 298,000
[Wii U] 228,000

2014 sales:
PS4: 860,000
XB1: 290,000
Wii U: 240,000

LTD:
PS4: 2,155,000
XB1: 742,000
Wii U: 715,000

Last edited by chemgear; 01-21-2016 at 07:29 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #4502
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Quantum Break is coming out on PC afterall. I thought Microsoft officially said otherwise just a few months ago. I'm guessing other games will follow, Scalebound and Crackdown probably.

People losing their minds on twitter at Phil Spencer for some reason. Crazy.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #4503
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PS 4.5/4K/Neo

What do people think of this upgraded version of the PS4 that will most likely come out in October-December of this year.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/so...-ne/1100-5437/

It will have the same CPU but will be overclocked. The GPU will be improved (GPU AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz VERSUS Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz). Same amount of RAM but faster and higher allotment of the RAM available for game use.

Developers will be forced to make a base model version that will work on the old PS4 and higher end experience of any games that come out in October or later.

Personally I think this is a bad move by Playstation because it really screws over the people that supported the console for the past 2.5 years. Imagine if you just bought a PS4 and know you hear your console you just spent $350 US for will be the inferior PS4 model. No one was asking for a better PS4 2.5 years after it was released.

Basically you're forced to buy a new console if you want the best experience the game can offer. Good luck selling your old PS4 for any decent value, the market will be flooded with them. They should have waited 2-3 years and came out with a much more powerful Playstation 5.

If Microsoft plays this correctly they would announce a fully backward compatible Xbox Two to come out next year with much better specifications than the new PS4.5. If you are a current PS4 owner with $400 US available to spend, would you buy on a bit better PS4 in order to get some better frame rates or would you buy a Xbox Two where you could play a bunch of Xbox of exclusives you may have missed. I would buy the Xbox Two.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #4504
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. Is the old console model dead or shifting over to an apple model of new refreshes (maybe every few years rather than every year). And when I say old console model, I mean no hardware refreshes for 5-8 years at a time.

Would make sense to time it with their VR release I guess.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #4505
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Interesting. Is the old console model dead or shifting over to an apple model of new refreshes (maybe every few years rather than every year). And when I say old console model, I mean no hardware refreshes for 5-8 years at a time.

Would make sense to time it with their VR release I guess.
There has been no official release by Sony, probably will see one at E3, but the rumours look pretty reliable.

I do think this new PS4 has a lot to do with getting better performance out of their VR headset, but I also believe this new PS4 will also hurt the sales of the PS VR. Not many people have $900 US to buy both, some will decide to buy the upgraded PS4 and wait on the VR headset.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #4506
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft has already discussed a possible modular console that can be upgraded with games being more like PC where the games can run on several levels of hardware at varying performance levels. The way Sony is going about it kind of forces gamers to buy a completely new console if they want the best version of the games and I kind of feel it's a little too early in the cycle to be doing this but being the sucker I am I will get the new version.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #4507
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand where Sony is coming from, but I'm not a fan of that. There are tons of people out there who always need to have the absolute newest and best tech, so people will buy this PS4.5 and Sony will continue to make dough.

I will not buy it (assuming the rumors are true).

In fact, I don't think I'm buying another console until there is a real significant jump in console generations like there was from the PS2 to PS3. PS3 to PS4 was a marginal improvement where as PS2 to PS3 was huge.

If the PS5 or PS6 are fully VR or something like that, I'll jump back onto that bandwagon.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #4508
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Xbox doing the same thing? I thought there was mention of the Xbox 1.5 coming next year.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #4509
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Isn't Xbox doing the same thing? I thought there was mention of the Xbox 1.5 coming next year.
It depends on who you believe, but MS is saying no. Technically, Sony hasn't said anything official either, but most in the industry believe a spec bump will be required to run VR.

I just read this article and feel it does a decent job at making some predictions: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco.../#4326c3181b19
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #4510
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft stops production on the 360.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/20/m...-the-xbox-360/

I think we are going to see full backwards compatibility on the One sooner rather than later.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #4511
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Microsoft stops production on the 360.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/20/m...-the-xbox-360/

I think we are going to see full backwards compatibility on the One sooner rather than later.
Agreed. Loving the backwards compatibility, and Quantam Break has been amazing.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #4512
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any word of the PS4 working at getting backwards compatibility? It annoys me XBox announced this under a year after I got my PS4, after having a 360. If the One had backwards compatibility at the time, I never would've jumped back to Sony in the first place.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #4513
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Is there any word of the PS4 working at getting backwards compatibility? It annoys me XBox announced this under a year after I got my PS4, after having a 360. If the One had backwards compatibility at the time, I never would've jumped back to Sony in the first place.
You'll be happy to hear that Sony has a solution for people who want to play PS3 games:

Spoiler!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #4514
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I had an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One and haven't used the backwards compatibility at all.

Feel like it's something that is more useful early in a lifecycle when they are fewer games available - have more then enough in the backlog now on both PS4 and XBOX One that I wouldn't even think about going back an playing a 360 or PS3 game.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #4515
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

OutOfTheCube, channeling your inner Mattrick there?

Also, a 12 GB SKU? What the hell? Not 16 GB, not 60 GB or 64 GB, not 120 GB, but 12. Aside from the weird amount of storage, given the number of PS3 games that need an install, you basically have to have that box in one hand and a new hard drive in the other at check-out to really do anything useful with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I had an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One and haven't used the backwards compatibility at all.

Feel like it's something that is more useful early in a lifecycle when they are fewer games available - have more then enough in the backlog now on both PS4 and XBOX One that I wouldn't even think about going back an playing a 360 or PS3 game.
So I have both a 360 and a One, but backward compatibility has been big for me. It's allowed me (along with the Games with Gold program) to try games I've never played before.

- Alan Wake, how the hell did I never play this game? Well, now I can on my One.
- Deus Ex - Human Revolution, wicked game, but I never tried it until it was added to the backward compatibility list and was on GwG.
- Left 4 Dead 2, a game that we loved doing couch multiplayer with, but stopped playing as much since we starting using the One more. Once that got added to backward compatibility, we started playing it again and with friends online who also have it.

If I can leave one console hooked up to my entertainment center and enjoy all of the games in my library from a single console, that's a big plus. It also frees up the older console to run media center duty on a different TV in the house if I so desire. After all, the 360 still does a great job at doing what it does, there's no reason it needs to be put out to pasture if it works and it can fill a gap somewhere. My trusty old non-HDMI 360 will live on.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:49 AM   #4516
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
You'll be happy to hear that Sony has a solution for people who want to play PS3 games:

Spoiler!
I know you can just dust off the old system (actually been doing it with RDR the past couple weeks), I just like the idea of having it all on one system, so you don't have to keep setting/hooking up 1 and unplugging the other all the time. Also just the clutter of having an extra one set up around the TV. Plus for some weird reason the gf doesn't like when I keep taking the framed photo of her family off the TV stand unit to make room for multiple gaming systems. I don't get women..

EDIT: While I'm on about different consoles, I want to add that I really hate how console exclusives are a thing. Now that I'm back on the Sony train, other PS people I've talked to can't get their heads around the fact I've never played an Uncharted game.

Last edited by Sainters7; 04-23-2016 at 02:56 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #4517
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Also, a 12 GB SKU? What the hell? Not 16 GB, not 60 GB or 64 GB, not 120 GB, but 12. Aside from the weird amount of storage, given the number of PS3 games that need an install, you basically have to have that box in one hand and a new hard drive in the other at check-out to really do anything useful with it.

So I have both a 360 and a One, but backward compatibility has been big for me. It's allowed me (along with the Games with Gold program) to try games I've never played before.

- Alan Wake, how the hell did I never play this game? Well, now I can on my One.
- Deus Ex - Human Revolution, wicked game, but I never tried it until it was added to the backward compatibility list and was on GwG.
- Left 4 Dead 2, a game that we loved doing couch multiplayer with, but stopped playing as much since we starting using the One more. Once that got added to backward compatibility, we started playing it again and with friends online who also have it.

If I can leave one console hooked up to my entertainment center and enjoy all of the games in my library from a single console, that's a big plus. It also frees up the older console to run media center duty on a different TV in the house if I so desire. After all, the 360 still does a great job at doing what it does, there's no reason it needs to be put out to pasture if it works and it can fill a gap somewhere. My trusty old non-HDMI 360 will live on.
Haha, trust you to vanish from this thread for months (years?) while PS4 dominates sales, only to re-appear when someone brings up the one thing Xbox does that PlayStation doesn't. Nice.

I was just being funny, ultimately. Backwards compatibility is cool but I'm always surprised when it's a make or break feature for some people. There's more than enough games coming out on new platforms, I don't even have time for those, let alone 3+ year old last gen games.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #4518
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, trust you to vanish from this thread for months (years?) while PS4 dominates sales, only to re-appear when someone brings up the one thing Xbox does that PlayStation doesn't. Nice.
Uh huh. The One has been doing back-compat for a while now, so if I wanted to come in and crow about a feature, I'd have done it a long time ago. I was simply agreeing with others who also use the feature and sharing my experience. BC is a good way to allow people to still get mileage out of their legacy hardware in other ways without removing those games from your primary entertainment center.

Quote:
I was just being funny, ultimately. Backwards compatibility is cool but I'm always surprised when it's a make or break feature for some people. There's more than enough games coming out on new platforms, I don't even have time for those, let alone 3+ year old last gen games.
I wasn't being ####ty about it, I thought you were actually making fun of Don Mattrick:

You can't tell me that your comment doesn't sound inspired by that, it's pretty funny.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #4519
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

like 20% or retail games work..saying its backwards compatible is a stretch

they say there are like 200 games or something but they count games like hearts, spades, solitare...there 3 games lol

Its certainly not a bad feature as it doesn't cost anything but I can't see how it could possibly be a deal breaker. I literally found a 360 at the dump and with a little TLC its rocking again...not to mention these BC games run worse on the one (the games I have tried anyway)

T-dog hasn't been around these parts since he was bragging about the Kinect!

lol I kid I kid
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #4520
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

make sure to get sunset overdrive; I have been playing nothing else since I got it for free on gold. to stay on thread, an insomniac games xb1 exclusive.