Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #161
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Quick, somebody help this poor man. He's showing the universal sign of dire distress and emergency.

He's just advertising the upcoming season of House of Cards!
Old 01-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #162
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
To present it as the mystery box is disingenuous. They went with the image of the blustery strong man over a woman.
I personally think it is a bit simplistic to frame it as a gender issue. I believe if the Democrats had someone (male or female) other than Clinton running they would have won.
The Following User Says Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #163
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I just read the text from Trump's inagural speech.

Appalling.
it is pretty scary.
We're so screwed here in Canada, too.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #164
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
it is pretty scary.
We're so screwed here in Canada, too.
This is a worldwide movement, Germany and France are next unfortunately
Old 01-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #165
Hockeyboy2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I just read the text from Trump's inagural speech.

Appalling.
I watched the entire speech and thought it was one of Trumps least divisive and best speeches (we know he wants to obliterate the Washington status quo and put America first already).

Then I watched the CNN talking heads talk and say what a divisive, unorthodox and not a great speech it was.

After this I re-watched the speech and still thought it was one of his best speeches and could not figure out what was so wrong about it.

Then I read this comment and others such as this and I begin to question my own critical thinking skills.

So would you or anyone else be able to do me a solid and give me a point by point summary on what you found so appalling about it?

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyboy2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #166
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Someone photoshop Trump's face onto this.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #167
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you're talking about the protectionist angle there was nothing in that speech that really alarmed me. Yeah, he did promise to protect American jobs and products and that will have a big impact on us. Otherwise, I thought he said what we expected and many of the things that a president should say. It was well written. I'm far more frightened by the prospect of extreme civil unrest in the States and the real risk that he might get the States into a war.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #168
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Holy crap this is insane. They're running from the riot police, yelling "we're media! Media!"
That's probably the reason they are being chased.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #169
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So many Canadians are going to say this can't happen here, but obviously it can/will.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #170
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Here's a link to the complete speech:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/20/politi...ess/index.html

Items I find appalling:

"Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People."

Reason: Suggests Obama and prior presidents' power did not originate from democracy. A smear on Obama that is not warranted. Take the high road at least once in your life Trump. This was that opportunity.

"For too long, a small group in our nation's Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished -- but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered -- but the jobs left, and the factories closed."

Reason: Too harsh on all prior administrations, including Obama

"The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories; their triumphs have not been your triumphs; and while they celebrated in our nation's capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land."

Reason: Again, an attack on the four Presidents sitting there.

"What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

Reason: WTF? Is Trump the first democratically elected president or something? Does he not realize he lost the popular vote while still winning the electoral college?

"The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and then redistributed across the entire world."

Reason: This is a billionaire who among other things has left a trail of unpaid middle and lower class workers.

"America will start winning again, winning like never before."

Reason: Charlie Sheen said it better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #171
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
People need to get over that.

Trump was elected fairly under the US constitution. That he didn't receive the popular vote doesn't matter. It's like the people that complain in Canada that the Prime Ministers party only got 38% of the vote. It doesn't matter.
Whining about the popular vote to me is like saying that your team should have won the Super Bowl because your team had the most rushing yards.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #172
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Whining about the popular vote to me is like saying that your team should have won the Super Bowl because your team had the most rushing yards.
It would be more apt to characterize it as saying you should have won the superbowl because you scored more points, but didn't because points scored in the second and 4th quarter don't count as much as point scored in the 1st and 3rd quarter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #173
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
So many Canadians are going to say this can't happen here, but obviously it can/will.
Are you implying "the Apprentice" = "Dragons Den" ?
Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #174
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Are you implying "the Apprentice" = "Dragons Den" ?
Loud mouth blowhard who's reputation is built on lies and misdirection appealing to a bunch of voters who fetishize wealth.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #175
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
It would be more apt to characterize it as saying you should have won the superbowl because you scored more points, but didn't because points scored in the second and 4th quarter don't count as much as point scored in the 1st and 3rd quarter.
No the points scored in the game are electoral college votes. Comparison is quite Apt. US politics reward touchdowns over yards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #176
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
No the points scored in the game are electoral college votes. Comparison is quite Apt. US politics reward touchdowns over yards.
popular vote determines electoral count in many states, not all votes are weighed equally state to state.

Trying to draw a metaphor to a sport with rules and regulations though is going to be difficult.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #177
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

"We share one heart, one home, and one glorious destiny." is a little bit chilling coming from an authoritarian.

No shying from the protectionist stance, even using the word. "Protection will lead to great prosperity and strength."

"We will seek friendship and goodwill with the nations of the world -- but we do so with the understanding that it is the right of all nations to put their own interests first." which every nation does of course, but to feel it important to emphasize that tells the rest of the world "America First" means just that.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #178
Hockeyboy2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Here's a link to the complete speech:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/20/politi...ess/index.html

Items I find appalling:

"Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People."

Reason: Suggests Obama and prior presidents' power did not originate from democracy. A smear on Obama that is not warranted. Take the high road at least once in your life Trump. This was that opportunity.

One of the focal points of what made Trump attractive to millions of Americans is that he was going to be a voice for the people, yes it may irk those in power but at the end of the day he works for the people or should be.

"For too long, a small group in our nation's Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished -- but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered -- but the jobs left, and the factories closed."

Reason: Too harsh on all prior administrations, including Obama

Feeds into the first point that his main portraying objective is giving people back a sense of power and a voice in politics.

"The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories; their triumphs have not been your triumphs; and while they celebrated in our nation's capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land."

Reason: Again, an attack on the four Presidents sitting there.

Definitely an attack on the Presidents sitting there, but he is not there to speak for past and current political figures he is there to represent the people.

"What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer."

Reason: WTF? Is Trump the first democratically elected president or something? Does he not realize he lost the popular vote while still winning the electoral college?

He means that it should not matter whether a Republican or a Democrat is in power, it only matters that they act in the best interest of the people of his country

"The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and then redistributed across the entire world."

Reason: This is a billionaire who among other things has left a trail of unpaid middle and lower class workers.

Very good reason, I believe he is referencing trade deals and other agreements that have weakened the economy in an effort for globalization. It is hypocritical though and he should look in a mirror.

"America will start winning again, winning like never before."

Reason: Charlie Sheen said it better.

No no, Charlie Sheen would have won with Tiger Blood.

I appreciate your time in replying back to this, I think its great that you did although I do seem to see it through different lenses.

I've put quick responses (apologies in advance if I do not do it correctly as I have not posted in a while).

It was great hearing your perspective and I think as in most debate, the differential of thinking something is fine or thinking its appalling is a matter of perspective. That is what I am learning in an increasingly bipartisan world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyboy2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #179
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kellyanne inauguration outfit.

]

Old 01-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #180
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

She looks like she's about to surrender Paris to the Nazis.
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers