Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #581
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At least AMC puts their series on iTunes and Google Play for next-day viewing.

HBO does not do this, at least in North America.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #582
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Few days ago I was playing around and I don't remember which addon I went into where there were channel choices based on countries. I found some Hungary contents which my wife would like. I wasn't able to find it again. Recommendations would be welcomed :-).

Also, best Cantonese channel(s)/Add ons? I did find some but most were Mandarin.
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #583
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Phoenix

Crusader in Phoenix TV has a bunch and I believe another in there has some too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
Few days ago I was playing around and I don't remember which addon I went into where there were channel choices based on countries. I found some Hungary contents which my wife would like. I wasn't able to find it again. Recommendations would be welcomed :-).

Also, best Cantonese channel(s)/Add ons? I did find some but most were Mandarin.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #584
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
The only thing I've found with cord cutting that sucks is there's no AMC app and they're aholes who don't put their shows on Hulu. I just want to watch Preacher, dammit.
They generally put them up on Netflix after the season ends. I know that's not ideal but that's how I did Breaking Bad.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #585
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
They generally put them up on Netflix after the season ends. I know that's not ideal but that's how I did Breaking Bad.
Preacher is available on iTunes and the Google Play store. $29.99 for the whole season from Apple and $21.99 from Google.

For those shows that we still really want to see, we will sign up for the season pass from iTunes and watch the shows the next day. Not ideal because you're a bit behind the masses (and social media spoilers can be hard to avoid), but better than waiting until the following season for your show to appear on Netflix.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #586
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Preacher is available on iTunes and the Google Play store. $29.99 for the whole season from Apple and $21.99 from Google.

For those shows that we still really want to see, we will sign up for the season pass from iTunes and watch the shows the next day. Not ideal because you're a bit behind the masses (and social media spoilers can be hard to avoid), but better than waiting until the following season for your show to appear on Netflix.

Just an FYI, it is $29.99 on Google Play as well. Google Play by default shows the 'SD' price, which is $21.99 (which I think is absolute ####e that they charge such a huge price discrepancy)...

And BTW for anyone interested, the pilot episode of Preacher can be watched for free on Google Play, iTunes, and youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5UmgJbRgro
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #587
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Just an FYI, it is $29.99 on Google Play as well. Google Play by default shows the 'SD' price, which is $21.99 (which I think is absolute ####e that they charge such a huge price discrepancy)...

And BTW for anyone interested, the pilot episode of Preacher can be watched for free on Google Play, iTunes, and youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5UmgJbRgro
That is total bullshinguard!
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #588
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know who's providing the best internet service right now in Calgary? I just cut the cord with shaw but keeping their internet for now. I had the BB50 which was going to cost just under $90, they offered me a deal to drop to BB30 for $63 and I accepted, though am not bound to a contract. I'm thinking of going back up to BB50 because I've already noticed streaming is a bit slower, or going to a new provider completely.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #589
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I have Shaw 30 and streaming is rarely an issue. Especially when my Kodi is working fine (Netflix has never buffered or stopped for me).

But of course with my awesome luck I cut the cord and less than a month later I ####ed up my computer. I have no idea what I did. I don't download anything on this laptop or anything like that but out of nowhere it's super slow. Scanned it with Avast and it came back clean so I'm pretty pissed as it's not even a year old and again, I take a lot of precaution with it.

I think I might have screwed something up when I tried to manually clean the cache when my maintenance tool in Kodi broke. Although last night I reinstalled the Kodi and deleted the Fusion repository and re-installed it and it seemed to work flawless after that.

Fingers crossed that's all it was but I doubt it. Ugh.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #590
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I use Fresh Start (from 'start here' in fusion repo - installs as program) to clean up Kodi. Uninstalling can still leave traces of crap behind
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #591
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

this is going to make me sound old, and i know that (I'm only mid-30s) but the one thing my wife and I miss since we cut the cord is nightly jeopardy. I am a little surprised that CBS hasn't added an Apple TV app to watch the show (We would pay for it)....

Does anyone know where we can watch jeopardy on demand with the cord cut?
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #592
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
this is going to make me sound old, and i know that (I'm only mid-30s) but the one thing my wife and I miss since we cut the cord is nightly jeopardy. I am a little surprised that CBS hasn't added an Apple TV app to watch the show (We would pay for it)....

Does anyone know where we can watch jeopardy on demand with the cord cut?
Kodi is your best bet. Jeopardy is a pretty big show and game shows are a niche with lots of nerdy fans (no offense!) so I assume it'd be uploaded pretty quick.

Worst case it'd be next day.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #593
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't feel old, Jeopardy is the only thing I miss too
Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #594
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

According to their website, Jeopardy is on Yes TV (OTA channel 32) at 8:00
http://www.yestv.com/schedule
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #595
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is jeopardy rebroadcast on Canadian TV? If so, an antenna will get it 'live'.
edit: what Ken0042.said above

Regarding on demand, I don't know.. I expect you can YouTube or torrent them. Not sure about Kodi

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 06-06-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #596
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post

I use Dramafever and Viki for Japanese dramas. They have shows from other countries too.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #597
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What do people do for HDTV sports(ok with PVR, does not have to be live). No NBA, NFL, or MLB, but i like EPL and NHL(mainly Flames), and major events(Euros, Olys, etc). Has to be at least HD quality..
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #598
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
What do people do for HDTV sports(ok with PVR, does not have to be live). No NBA, NFL, or MLB, but i like EPL and NHL(mainly Flames), and major events(Euros, Olys, etc). Has to be at least HD quality..
World Cup was all on CBC. Olympics will be also. Fair bit of EPL if you can get American OTA, but that's only if you are close to the border. There are streaming services to give you American network TV that is decent, but not HD quality. Over the air HDTV is better than anything on air except 4k.
Otherwise, you really have to subscribe. There are hit and miss legal/illegal sources that will give you good HD quality at times, and crap other times. Only sure way is to subscribe.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #599
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So if I want to stream every Flames game and I live in Calgary what should I do?
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:22 AM   #600
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
So if I want to stream every Flames game and I live in Calgary what should I do?
Legally? Get Sportsnet Now for $25 a month.