Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #561
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody here running in Calgary with either Teksavvy or Lightspeed now? Are they both basically identical? I assume Shaw is their infrastructure supplier, and if, as Yelle said earlier that Teksavvy is running perfectly that Lightspeed would be also. I think Lightspeed is $42/month vs $49/month for 30mbps, unlimited.

There seem to be a host of Teksavvy threads, but not much on Lightspeed.
Also curious is anyone has tried Lightspeed?
Old 05-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #562
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Also curious is anyone has tried Lightspeed?

I ended up switching a few weeks ago from Shaw and everything is great so far.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #563
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally convinced my wife that nobody watches TV. She kept saying she would if she had more channels, but also finally conceded that more channels are a ripoff.

Will be cutting the cord later this week. Thank God for GCL.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #564
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Any thoughts on what I need to get it working today and where to pick it up in town?
Most TVs now have a digital tuner built in. It is required by the FCC in the States, so that standard follows here. If you can post the model of your TV, somebody can help. You are looking for it to have an ATSC tuner.

As for an antenna, where in town are you? That will affect if you just need a basic tuner, or something better.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #565
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am out east of town right now, between Chestermere and Langdon essentially.

The TV is a cheap 19" Dynex that we bought maybe 6 years ago. Will see if I can find the specs online.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #566
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

You may need a better antenna then. I bought this one for our permanent camping site:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...8f739fd3d0en02

The owner of the site came over to tell us not to waste our time, no way to get a signal in the campground. I was able to pick up two channels with this antenna. Well, until it started to rain. Which was the entire reason for a better antenna. But it did work really well on a fringe area.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #567
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Most TVs now have a digital tuner built in. It is required by the FCC in the States, so that standard follows here. If you can post the model of your TV, somebody can help. You are looking for it to have an ATSC tuner.

As for an antenna, where in town are you? That will affect if you just need a basic tuner, or something better.
I have confirmed it has the tuner. I will test the antenna we have and see if we need to upgrade.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #568
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I have been trying SmartFlix (www.smartflix.io) for a few days and I'm crazy impressed. It's basically the entire Netflix library regardless of region. No VPN needed. It also has some cool things that Netflix should think about introducing like 'Expiring Soon' sections and other stuff.

I was looking for a specific episode of something and did the live support chat and got a answer/fix within 3 minutes - pretty impressive stuff.

It's currently only for Win/OSX, but it looks like I can slip it into Kodi on my HTPC to make it easier for the Family..

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #569
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Do you have to have a Netflix account with Smartflix, cKy?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #570
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

yeah you do. it seems to act as a proxy for netflix. you download it (free 7 day trial) and then log in with your netflix info.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #571
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
yeah you do. it seems to act as a proxy for netflix. you download it (free 7 day trial) and then log in with your netflix info.

So it's actually Netflix and not a file sharing service merely offering up identical content?

Did any of the alternate DNS addresses given by unblockus ever work?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #572
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Matty were you using the Reddit Streams during the regular season?

I'm wondering how they are when their isn't only one game on a day.
I wasn't before the playoffs, but I will definitely be checking next season.

Honestly, before I happened upon it looking for streams this year, I have never really used Reddit for anything at all.

During the season, I would just type "flames vs x stream" and usually the top result had a few different links. Sometimes they're decent. Sometimes they're complete garbage. There were some games that would literally stop to buffer EVERY time something exciting began to happen. A slap shot wind up...freeze. Powerplay chance...freeze. JG pulling sweet dangles... freeze. And then freeze during the replays too. But then during regular play it would flow just fine. Super annoying. I'd watch the whole game and feel like I hadn't seen any of the action.

As soon as I started using those Reddit links, I was wondering why I wasn't having those same problems. So we'll see once the winter rolls around. Although I'll be in Van next year, so Gamecenter might actually make sense for me.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #573
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Matty were you using the Reddit Streams during the regular season?

I'm wondering how they are when their isn't only one game on a day.
They were hit and miss for me, especially if the only channel carrying the game was a regional American broadcast.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #574
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a sub to NHL.tv - but if using Kodi, until NHL changed from neulion to MLB as provider later in the season, Phoenix hockey was perfect. Always excellent HD, always both feeds - but it didn't work on Android boxes, however the caststreams app worked pretty good for them. But that all was done when the provider switch was made.
Last I checked though, Vidtime addon (under VT SE) provided excellent streams (same guys who were behind the hack for Phoenix hockey), including for Android.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 05-24-2016 at 07:33 PM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #575
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Pro Sports Add on. Tuesday I was able to see the Pitt/TB game and NBA basketball game. Was that a lucky day or is that normal? I will install the Vidtime add on.

A lot of addons overlap. What are your 5 most used addons? Phoenix, Exodus, Sport Devil ...??
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #576
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's normal for Prosports addon, for hockey and basketball. I expect it will be good for MLB too. It will probably fail in many cases for NFL, simply due to numbers of watchers. Vidtime (VT SE) only shows hockey, but is excellent, and simple one click links. Live sports is always a bit hit and miss though, as I am sure you know. I now use Castaway instead of Sportsdevil, where necessary. There is no dedicated repo to update Sportsdevil, so often links don't work. The problem with a newer addon, like Castaway, is support may dry up for it as well - where Sportsdevil will probably always be carried on in some form. For sports I use Prosports, Castaway, Vidtime, Phoenix, or Caststreams android app - depending on what I am looking for. I do not ever use peer to peer anything.
I pretty much exclusively use Exodus for anything TV or movie, and SALTS or 1Channel if I have a problem with Exodus. For live network TV, when not at home with Hdtv antenna, USTVnow Plus is pretty good. I do also use Filmon with FTV guide for live viewing when I don't want to have to choose something for background TV nonsense.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #577
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I wasn't before the playoffs, but I will definitely be checking next season.

Honestly, before I happened upon it looking for streams this year, I have never really used Reddit for anything at all.

During the season, I would just type "flames vs x stream" and usually the top result had a few different links. Sometimes they're decent. Sometimes they're complete garbage. There were some games that would literally stop to buffer EVERY time something exciting began to happen. A slap shot wind up...freeze. Powerplay chance...freeze. JG pulling sweet dangles... freeze. And then freeze during the replays too. But then during regular play it would flow just fine. Super annoying. I'd watch the whole game and feel like I hadn't seen any of the action.

As soon as I started using those Reddit links, I was wondering why I wasn't having those same problems. So we'll see once the winter rolls around. Although I'll be in Van next year, so Gamecenter might actually make sense for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
They were hit and miss for me, especially if the only channel carrying the game was a regional American broadcast.
Yeah that's what I was expecting. So far these playoffs have been phenomenal, to the point where I've caught myself trying to use the Shaw TV remote to pause the game cause I fully forget it's streaming but that's easy when there's designated NHL streams of the games.

O'well we'll see I guess. If the Reddit streams don't work and there's no passable alternative I guess I'll go to one of the cable companies for a new customer rate for the hockey season.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #578
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Normal

This is quite normal. Phoenix is good too as it has some of the Sportsnet stations. Watch NHL on TV and the Juniors on Phoenix on another device. I did that the last few nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
The Pro Sports Add on. Tuesday I was able to see the Pitt/TB game and NBA basketball game. Was that a lucky day or is that normal? I will install the Vidtime add on.

A lot of addons overlap. What are your 5 most used addons? Phoenix, Exodus, Sport Devil ...??
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #579
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vidtime - - > VT SE - - > Entertainment - - > Channels
Good stuff in there.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #580
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The only thing I've found with cord cutting that sucks is there's no AMC app and they're aholes who don't put their shows on Hulu. I just want to watch Preacher, dammit.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote