Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #281
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grizzlies have beaten the Warriors twice this season. Cavs have one of the worst benches in the league. Nothing is a given, especially not when as I mentioned three point shooting is going nuts. Beating the Cavs or Warriors could be as easy as two or three guys getting really hot from deep.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:26 AM   #282
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Grizzlies have beaten the Warriors twice this season. Cavs have one of the worst benches in the league. Nothing is a given, especially not when as I mentioned three point shooting is going nuts. Beating the Cavs or Warriors could be as easy as two or three guys getting really hot from deep.
Might win you a game in the regular season but a whole lot more happening in the playoffs. The NBA is all about calls for the superstars / don't have one and you ain't getting any calls. Lebron can beat the whole East just going to the hoop. He will be at the foul line all game getting freebies.

Bench don't matter that much in the playoffs as they can play their starters to death. No back to backs and no long season ahead to worry about.

But hey it's worth getting to the conference finals in the East. Lebron could get injured and then it's all up for grabs.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #283
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Paytons hair is distracting just watching on TV
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #284
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

2-8 in their last ten, wow
Old 02-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #285
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely to be the 5 seed soon. I also think any hope Sullinger would be a difference maker kind of dies with the fact they are now 0-8 with him in the lineup. Maybe just cut him for the good vibes sake? Also pretty much no point in trying to make any trades at this point, unless it's to start down the path to the blowup.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #286
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Likely to be the 5 seed soon. I also think any hope Sullinger would be a difference maker kind of dies with the fact they are now 0-8 with him in the lineup. Maybe just cut him for the good vibes sake? Also pretty much no point in trying to make any trades at this point, unless it's to start down the path to the blowup.
A smart GM looks at hitting the reset button. They should move Lowry at the deadline before his max contract has them a treadmill team for years. Get Noel off the Sixers and a pick. Move Sullinger and Patterson as well.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 AM   #287
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A smart GM looks at hitting the reset button. They should move Lowry at the deadline before his max contract has them a treadmill team for years. Get Noel off the Sixers and a pick. Move Sullinger and Patterson as well.
We have 1 bad stretch where key players are hurt and we are now going into tank mode?

I'm as annoyed as anyone, but this is insane.
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:02 AM   #288
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lowry sucks.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #289
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
We have 1 bad stretch where key players are hurt and we are now going into tank mode?

I'm as annoyed as anyone, but this is insane.
You have to remember the Celtics, despite being the #2 seed in the East and the division leader, are the frontrunners to get the #1 overall pick this year, with another top 3-5 pick next year too (worst trade in sports history). The Sixers are up and coming (Ben Simmons + two more lottery picks on the way), and will be dominating the division in no more than two years, assuming health cooperates. So the Raps, who once had a massive gap between them and those two teams, are looking at a significant shrinkage of that gap, to the point it's probably gone altogether.

So the Raptors window is right now, and at best you can say they are still probably good enough to get swept in the conference finals. But after this year they will be rapidly losing ground to the teams chasing them in division instead of gaining ground on the Cavs. It's always easier to blow something up too soon rather than too late. I doubt you get Noel for Lowry now (offseason sign and trade is a different story), but if you can get a nice haul right now, I think you gotta do it. Lowry's contract will be a problem very soon because of how much he relies on his first step to create space. When that step is gone, he's a mid-tier PG pretty much, but the Raps will be paying him more than DeMar.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-04-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #290
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You have to remember the Celtics, despite being the #2 seed in the East and the division leader, are the frontrunners to get the #1 overall pick this year, with another top 3-5 pick next year too (worst trade in sports history). The Sixers are up and coming (Ben Simmons + two more lottery picks on the way), and will be dominating the division in no more than two years, assuming health cooperates. So the Raps, who once had a massive gap between them and those two teams, are looking at a significant shrinkage of that gap, to the point it's probably gone altogether.

So the Raptors window is right now, and at best you can say they are still probably good enough to get swept in the conference finals. But after this year they will be rapidly losing ground to the teams chasing them in division instead of gaining ground on the Cavs. It's always easier to blow something up too soon rather than too late. I doubt you get Noel for Lowry now (offseason sign and trade is a different story), but if you can get a nice haul right now, I think you gotta do it. Lowry's contract will be a problem very soon because of how much he relies on his first step to create space. When that step is gone, he's a mid-tier PG pretty much, but the Raps will be paying him more than DeMar.
Yep you have to sit back and look at it from a pure logic point of view sometimes. Really all season if you do that you know they haven't got it. Even when they were winning it was not sustainable. Plus they were consistently beat by the good teams. A little adversity and it's shambaland.

It still comes down to MU and what does he do. The window is very short so should he go all out. Depth and picks and a starter for a legit third option? Or realize it isn't there and make the deal for the future.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #291
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I don't believe this team has it. I think now more than ever with good scouting you can get a star player (combined with good player development, of course). Ujiri should really explore all options on getting lottery picks. I don't think there is one player on the team who is a franchise player who can not be dealt. Everyone should be available if the price is right. As well, the extreme depth isn't needed. 8 deep is more than enough.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #292
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

LeBron's end of regulation sequence tonight: a botched layup after the most blatant travelling never called, then a banked in three to tie at the buzzer.

https://twitter.com/SamuelGrubbs1/st...97091283623936
Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #293
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LeBron's end of regulation sequence tonight: a botched layup after the most blatant travelling never called, then a banked in three to tie at the buzzer.

https://twitter.com/SamuelGrubbs1/st...97091283623936
Definitely a contender, but I don't think there will ever be a more egregious uncalled travel than this one:

octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #294
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only Boogie would get ejected with 1.1 seconds left. His 16th tech. He'll miss Wednesday's game vs. Boston with a 1 game suspension.

He's absolutely right that D-Wade should have been called for a foul, but he needs to control his temper better than that.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #295
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It takes an entire security team to get Charles Oakley out of the building. The all-time "do not #### with this guy" guy.

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/statu...01150537871362
https://twitter.com/ischafer/status/829500863794274305

Edit: Knicks statement. Apparently he was going after Dolan

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-08-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #296
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oakley is a crazy dude. More than a few odd stories to go around during his Toronto days. That said, I really can't stand security and the way they handle situations. When a guy is losing it, give him his space and let him be heard instead of getting in close to him. I don't advocate what he did, but getting too close to a guy losing his ####, especially a guy like him, is practically daring him to pimp slap. Hopefully they didn't rough the old guy up too badly.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #297
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a ridiculous shot by Lowry. Just mind blowing stupidity.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #298
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

This game is pissing me off
Old 02-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #299
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It takes an entire security team to get Charles Oakley out of the building. The all-time "do not #### with this guy" guy.

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/statu...01150537871362
https://twitter.com/ischafer/status/829500863794274305

Edit: Knicks statement. Apparently he was going after Dolan

From Phil Jackson to James Dolan, the Knicks are a very dysfunctional organization...

@FisolaNYDN:
Charles Oakley has been upset that the franchise, which is celebrating its 70th anniversary, haven't included him in any events.

Charles Oakley has been critical of the Knicks and James Dolan. His punishment has been no tickets and banishment from the organization.

For the Knicks to issue a press release about Oak and say "we hope he gets some help soon" is despicable.

Several former Knick employees have reached out asking me to pass along the same message: "tell Charles to call me if he needs help tonight"

Charles Oakley says he purchased his own tickets. When Knicks realized that he was seated behind James Dolan they asked him why was he here.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #300
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Casey's stupidity in the Minny game was weird even for him. This team is going rapidly backwards. Haven't been feeling it this year with the Raptors but I didn't think they would start drifting down the table until at least the year after next.

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba