Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:
Default Draft Review

Hindsight being 20/20, here's my opinion on how the flames managed to make out at the 2008 entry draft:

Trades: Good on the Flames to pick up Cammalieri for the 17th pick and a 2nd rounder, but how did they only manage to pick up the 25th and a 2nd rounder for Tanguay and our 5 th rounder? OVerall fairly even but it would have been nice to acquire another pick in the Tanguay trade.

1st Round: With the way things were going, I was hoping Tedenby would fall to the flames only to see NJ picks him just before us. BPA here would have been Carlson, but best forward is arguably Neimsz. I don't quite understand how Button doesn't think his skating won't be an issue. He looked a little behind the play to me at the U-18 on the big ice, but more work with Hesketh and the Flames power skating coach may put those concerns to rest.

2nd Round: Amazing pick was shocked to see he was still around and I think he will become a fan favorite quickly. His on ice vision is superb, his work ethic, two way play and skating are solid. His shot is under-rated and he'll still be a 20-25 goal scorer at the NHL level.

3rd Round: Didn't mind the Lance Bouma pick, but would have loved to see us use one of our fourth rounder to move up and grab shawn Lalonde who is a superb skater and a guy I really would have wanted. Other options for moving up would have been Toews and MA Bourdon.

4th Round: Was surprised to sse Jokinenen, Arniel and Jenks here, I had them as 40-90 players. No problems with picking Larson and Brodie, but with Tessier still available, that was dissapointing. Also, while Calgary is full of Goalie prospects, would picking Mem. Cup MVP Tokarski have been so bad here? The guy's won a Telus cup, a Mem. Cup and does stops the puck well, sounds like a winner and the ideal goalie to restock the junior pipeline with.

5th round No pick

6th and 7th round Flames scouting has more time than I do. Disappointed Nigro was gone before our pick, but otherwise, I trust our staff to do a good job.

Overall grade: B

Pretty good but room for improvement
Flame4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame4Ever View Post
Hindsight being 20/20, here's my opinion on how the flames managed to make out at the 2008 entry draft:

Trades: Good on the Flames to pick up Cammalieri for the 17th pick and a 2nd rounder, but how did they only manage to pick up the 25th and a 2nd rounder for Tanguay and our 5 th rounder? OVerall fairly even but it would have been nice to acquire another pick in the Tanguay trade.
I think (although I may be wrong) that they did net a 2nd round pick in the Cammalieri/Tanguay thing

they picked up Cammalieri for the first and a swap of 2nds, but netted a 2nd in the Tanguay deal (but gave up a 5th)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Many things go into skating. Technique, acceleration, east-west in addition to north-south, ability to improve speed with muscle growth to name a few. Remember Iginla wasn't a great skater when he was drafted.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Many things go into skating. Technique, acceleration, east-west in addition to north-south, ability to improve speed with muscle growth to name a few. Remember Iginla wasn't a great skater when he was drafted.
Agreed.

I don't know if I seen Nemisz as much as the thread starter (probably not) but I didn't notice his skating hindering him at all. Made it up and down the ice well, got the job done. No it might not ever be an asesst, but I didn't see him being an less effective a skater then a guy like Langkow.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

As a big guy he'll have a lot of work to do just get more explosive. Having had the pleasure of watching prospects like Boedker, Stamkos, Doughty, Lalonde, etc. quite a few times this year, it's hard not to expect really good skating from the OHL prospects.

Here's my mini scouting report on Nemisz

Assets: Drives to the net with authority and is extremely hard to move off the puck. Has good puck skills and is an effective screener/garbage man. Cycles the puck well down low and uses his size well along the boards.

Flaws: Skating is average at the OHL level and will need to get better (more explosive and better transitions) to become a force at the next level. Is not nasty or physical as mush as one would like for a powerforward. Needs to polish his defensive game and get more involved so as to truly take full advantage o9f his physical attributes.

He's got great potential, but if he only mildly improves his skating, you've got a Holmstrom/Knuble type player a guy who can be a third wheel on a first line but will never be considered a legitmate first liner. If he works hard on his skating and starts playing with a chip on his shoulder, he could be a John LeClair or Keith Tkachuk power forward.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As a big guy he'll have a lot of work to do just get more explosive. Having had the pleasure of watching prospects like Boedker, Stamkos, Doughty, Lalonde, etc. quite a few times this year, it's hard not to expect really good skating from the OHL prospects.

Here's my mini scouting report on Nemisz

Assets: Drives to the net with authority and is extremely hard to move off the puck. Has good puck skills and is an effective screener/garbage man. Cycles the puck well down low and uses his size well along the boards.

Flaws: Skating is average at the OHL level and will need to get better (more explosive and better transitions) to become a force at the next level. Is not nasty or physical as mush as one would like for a powerforward. Needs to polish his defensive game and get more involved so as to truly take full advantage o9f his physical attributes.

He's got great potential, but if he only mildly improves his skating, you've got a Holmstrom/Knuble type player a guy who can be a third wheel on a first line but will never be considered a legitmate first liner. If he works hard on his skating and starts playing with a chip on his shoulder, he could be a John LeClair or Keith Tkachuk power forward.
Like I previously said, it can come with time. While he might be slow now, he's 6'3 and still has alot of muscle to build. With that, his acceleration and top speed, and ability to "dance" or his agility in traffic should improve.

Good scouting report though, I've never seen him so these types of observations are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

Didn't feel like this was worth it's own thread, but here's a good resource to take a look at Nemisz game
Same thing on Bouma, Wahl,

Last edited by Flame4Ever; 07-22-2008 at 09:33 AM.