Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #1181
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Where to even begin?

It's tough to believe that the team that came back to beat Chelsea and Villa is the same one that played Milan and Sunderland. It seems like both the effort and quality possessed during those comebacks has evaporated. Even though our team is not as good/strong as it needs to be, it's so frustrating to know that even with the squad we have this year we could be doing relatively well (i.e. we are still in fourth due to other clubs continually making mistakes and dropping points).

Nevertheless, Arsenal has the financial resources and a good chunk of the human resources to form a team that will allow the club to perform as well as it suppose to, and should be, doing. While I'm not in the 'Sack Wegner Now Goddammit' crowd, I'm starting to think that in order to commit to the change that the club desperately needs it really is time to start looking beyond Wegner. His stubbornness is really holding back the club and I think we need to embrace certain changes before we squander our resources.

When I say change I don't mean going out a buying players like Hazard and Tevez but rather getting rid of the deadwood I have alluded to before and adding the necessary quality where it is needed. That being said, this quality is probably going to have to be a mix of typical Wegner-found Diamond In The Roughs and ready-made superstars in waiting.
Quote:
Arsenal will scrap their wage cap in a bid to keep star striker Robin Van Persie and attract world-class signings after an FA Cup defeat at Sunderland left the Gunners trophyless for a seventh year.

According to the Sunday Mirror, there is now an acceptance among the Gunners' hierarchy that there must be a major change of direction with regards to their cost-cutting recruitment policy.

Wenger is now to be given the green light to spend big on transfers and improve the wages of his stars players, with Van Persie, who has one year left on his current deal, likely to be first beneficiary.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...eports?cc=5901

So Wenger's policies are now clearly being thrown out the window, and its seemingly because RvP is probably really tempted to leave.

Quote:

We did a lot of things wrong yesterday but the worst mistake was that no one came over to the lad to give him a bit of consolation. The ironic thing about the OG was that the only reason why he scored it was because he did the right thing and tracked back like a demon after coughing up the ball.
Precisely, he did exactly what he should have. Very unfortunate for him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1182
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where to even begin?

We did a lot of things wrong yesterday but the worst mistake was that no one came over to the lad to give him a bit of consolation. The ironic thing about the OG was that the only reason why he scored it was because he did the right thing and tracked back like a demon after coughing up the ball.
BAM!!!! There is no leadership.

I still clearly remember Ray Parlour's debut. It was against Liverpool at Anfield back in 92. This kid came on and was spectacular - he had what I thought to be a wonderful game - and boy was he going to have some future!

But...he gave away a penalty which Liverpool converted - they went on to win 2-0. Ray was devastated, but Tony Adams ran up to him, put an arm around him and gave him words of encouragement. I remember that moment vividly and it warms me with pride just thinking about it. What a character and player Ray went on to be, and what a great leader Adams showed that day and on countless other occasions.

We lost that day, but I felt pride in being a Gooner. The current team...well lets just say, they don't make me feel that way and we'll leave it at that.

As a sidenote, this wasn't one-off behaviour from Adams. Who else can remember a young English player petulantly lashing out at Simeone at WC 98 and getting sent off?

England got eliminated and Beckham was public enemy number 1. Abandoned by his Manager and his Captain (who should never have been England Captain). Alex Ferguson recounted later, that the ONLY teammate who saw to Beckham after the match was Tony Adams who consoled him.

A great Captain and an individual who had his faults, but was an inspiration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #1183
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Easy for me as a Spurs fan to take a shot at Arsenal but is RVP any sort if leader?

He comes off as a bit me first/happy if he is scoring kind if guy.

I can understand him wanting to play CL but it does seem like he is very ready to jump ship rather than help get Arsenal back here.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #1184
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't think they have had one since Viera

and I think it's what they lack, and probably hope/expect one of Wilshere or Ramsey to be that guy

City have Kompany/Hart
United have Vidic/Giggs/Scholes/Rooney/Rio
Spurs have Parker/King
Liverpool have Gerrard/Reina
Chelsea have JT
I would say Newcastle have guys like Cabaye and Tiote who definitely show leadership qualities

Last edited by d_phaneuf; 02-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #1185
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post

and I think it's what they lack, and probably hope/expect one of Wilshere or Ramsey to be that guy

City have Kompany/Hart
Spurs have Parker/King
Chelsea have JT
I would say Newcastle have guys like Cabaye and Tiote who definitely show leadership qualities
You seem to have a better knowledge of Spurs than me but Dawson would be there as well I woud think.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #1186
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya he should be there, especially a few years ago when King was out most of the season he was the leader of the team when they got 4th

even though their skills have diminished with age I would put Carragher up there as well for Liverpool
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #1187
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
A great Captain and an individual who had his faults, but was an inspiration.
Yeah, Adams was as good as it got when it came down to leadership and inspiration.

Keown also deserves a mention IMO also as a quiet leader and a steadying influence. As hard and a no nonsense a footballer as I can remember.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #1188
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post

City have Kompany/Hart
Spurs have Parker/King
Chelsea have JT
Pretty sure for the Scousers you have to throw Carra in there as well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #1189
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So Wenger's policies are now clearly being thrown out the window, and its seemingly because RvP is probably really tempted to leave.
A couple things: 1) I'm not sure how much truth is in that story; and 2) we don't need a revolution (i.e spending our way out of our problems) just the evolution of our system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Easy for me as a Spurs fan to take a shot at Arsenal but is RVP any sort if leader?

He comes off as a bit me first/happy if he is scoring kind if guy.
He might not be a great leader but I do think he is a good leader and better than Cesc was. I can sympathize with him a bit as Arsenal is becoming a club very difficult to lead. That being said, if he is having trouble we should have others able to pick up the slack. For instance, those who lost the armband for their country while they were injured...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #1190
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's just extremely rare for a striker or attacking midfielder to be a real leader type who galvanizes the team

Fabregas, RVP, Modric, Silva, Aguero etc. all great players but I wouldn't say leaders, it sounds like something Sky would say but you do need someone who isn't afraid to get stuck in, or put his body on the line

Song could be that type of guy but he just doesn't seem vocal enough about it

I would also be as worried about losing Song as much as RVP if I were Arsenal, he's the most underrated player in the league

Last edited by d_phaneuf; 02-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #1191
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Daniel Levy is getting his wallet out this summer

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ms-Spurs-offer

offer made for Damiao
Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #1192
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Song is by far my favorite player. He's very good most days, then he'll have his moments of brilliance. His play against Messi last year in the Champions League was top notch.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #1193
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tomorrow I leave for my 3-week jaunt to the UK, and I am pleased to report that I have secured tickets for the Norwich away match at Stoke (along with a trip on the coach with other fans to get there), and then the home game against Wigan. Manchester United was a long shot, and while it was disappointing not to get tickets for that one, I should be able to watch that one in the pub. So two out of three isn't so bad!

So now I have to get two days worth of work done with what's left of today, and then start packing things. And there's that little detail of travelling with a 6-month-old that is going to add a new dimension to all of this. But I know that two football matches await me, grandad's 90th birthday party, and my son's first meet and greet with the extended family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #1194
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillipe Auclair who writes about Ligue 1 for the Guardian said yesterday on Football Weekly that the stories that Hazard wants to go to Spurs are straight from Hazard and his father

they want him to move to England, go to a team where he will start regularly, and play attractive football

it's going to come down to teams meeting his release clause but his preference is Spurs
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #1195
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's the deal with Adebayor?

Does he go back to Man City next year?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #1196
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's 50/50

They will spend money this summer but you can't justify paying Adebayor 170k a week unless you are going to bump of Bale and Modric (which isn't going to happen, I am guessing both get raises but more to in the 80-90k range)

so if he takes a pay cut he may stay, because City have to get him off their books (salary counts for FFP)

I think Remy is the more likely signing next year and I don't know if they can afford him, a 2nd striker, potentially Hazard, and a CB
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #1197
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arshavin gone, on loan to Zenit for the rest of the year

James Olley ‏ @JamesOlley
Decision made. #Arsenal agree to loan out Arshavin until the end of the season. Zenit to pay wages & £1m fee. Race on now to sort paperwork.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #1198
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thankfully, depth isn't an issue at a Arsenal.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #1199
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yossi the bossi can play just as well or better as Arshavin jogging at half speed
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #1200
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Samba to Anzhi

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Closed Thread