Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #241
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

going to miss Mike Phelan stating the obvious on MOTD now that Fergie ended his hiatus
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #242
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Well the landscape has changed quite a bit in the last few years with the way money is thrown around, it doesn't seem like many of the top clubs develop a lot of homegrown talent that goes on to the international stage anymore. The previous generation had a lot more homegrown talent at the top clubs, and during that era United produced what? Half of the England side? There's certainly some bluster in the statement, I mean it is Fergie, but it's not completely out of touch either.
It's not United producing the talent. It's them buying nearly finished products. If he had said that many play for him, it's true but he doesn't produce them. I mean Wenger at least lures them at 15 or 16 and puts his stamp on them, whiskynose just cherry picks talent when their ready.

I agree with him about the FA though. I'm not quite sure why he isn't lauded more often by them, and made honourary chairman for life. I also believe the queen has been particularly rude in not stepping down so he can become king. The BBC should have been taken off air whilst Ferguson refused to speak to them because what's possibly informative or factual if it's not coming from him?

God, the indignities that England along with the FA have done up Ferguson with. Where is the humanity?
Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #243
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

if any current manager should take over the FA it should be Wenger to be honest

I wish the FA would give him free reign over the entire set up, I think he is going to move to international football soon anyway as he clearly disillusioned with the money now in the game
Old 08-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #244
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bad sequence for Chelsea, Norwich just tied it up on a goalkeeping error, and now Drogba is completely knocked out.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #245
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Bad sequence for Chelsea, Norwich just tied it up on a goalkeeping error, and now Drogba is completely knocked out.
The weird thing to me is how the keeper completely missed the ball and belted hm in the head and if it's any outfield player missing ball and injuring a guy that clumsily it's straight red and a suspension. I guess keepers take their fair share of abuse challenging for balls too.

Would like to see Simeon Jackson in this one but won't happen now unless Chelsea scores.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #246
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Tim Howard saved two penalties and then Everton converted a penalty of their own in the 90th minute.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #247
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suarez/Kuyt strike partnership. Sweet.

I saw N'Gog wearing a suit coming down the Anfield tunnel. This upsets me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #248
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scoring for Chelsea must be an incredibly difficult thing, Torres has only scored once in what, over 20 games?

Oh wait, it took Juan Mata all of 30 minutes.

Torres played 80+ minutes against Norwich and got nothing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #249
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like Suarez has learned well from Gerrard...
Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #250
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Henderson! Beautiful pass from Suarez after a little pinball, 1-0 Liverpool.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #251
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap. Martin Kelly has to get subbed off due ot injury. Looks like a re-occurrence of his hamstring problem.

Good thing Skrtel was on the bench an is fit again.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #252
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
It's not United producing the talent. It's them buying nearly finished products. If he had said that many play for him, it's true but he doesn't produce them. I mean Wenger at least lures them at 15 or 16 and puts his stamp on them, whiskynose just cherry picks talent when their ready.
How does this differ from any other top club in the world? They all cherry pick top talent, that's the reality of the game now.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #253
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
How does this differ from any other top club in the world? They all cherry pick top talent, that's the reality of the game now.
The difference is that the other top clubs in the world dont cherry pick top talent and then try and take credit for developing them. You cant have it both ways.

The end result is Man U have produced almost no one, and yet Fergie wants credit for it anyways because he bought them.

And actually, if you want an example of a top end club that develops and then keeps its top end talent, look no further than Bayern Munich, they're doing it right now.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #254
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The difference is that the other top clubs in the world dont cherry pick top talent and then try and take credit for developing them. You cant have it both ways.

The end result is Man U have produced almost no one, and yet Fergie wants credit for it anyways because he bought them.

And actually, if you want an example of a top end club that develops and then keeps its top end talent, look no further than Bayern Munich, they're doing it right now.
Except Jennings! We know who developed him

Old 08-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #255
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Their players who took part today

Neuer - Not Bayern
Van Byuten - Not Bayern
Badstuber - Not Bayern
Boatend - Not Bayern
Ribery - Not Bayern
Muller - Bayern
Boateng - Not Bayern
Lahm - Not Bayern
Tymoschuk - Not Bayern
Peterson - Not Bayern
Alaba - Not Bayern
Gomez - Not Bayern
Schweignsteiger - Bayern

Thats 2 of 13
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #256
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Their players who took part today

Neuer - Not Bayern
Van Byuten - Not Bayern
Badstuber - Not Bayern
Boatend - Not Bayern
Ribery - Not Bayern
Muller - Bayern
Boateng - Not Bayern
Lahm - Not Bayern
Tymoschuk - Not Bayern
Peterson - Not Bayern
Alaba - Not Bayern
Gomez - Not Bayern
Schweignsteiger - Bayern

Thats 2 of 13
Badstuber is a Bayern product.

Okay, thats today, here are some players that didnt feature today but usually do:

Phillip Lahm (Captain) - Bayern
Toni Kroos - Bayern

So there are typically 5 homegrown players suiting up for them, more than the typical amount.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #257
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Once again I don't think SAF really cares about the credit and there is a reason for it...I just don't know what it is.

It is all just semantics but he could simply be referring to development at the top level (not youth). For the most part, the smaller clubs could never duplicate the pressure that goes along with being a part of a big club. This goes for all young players who transfer very young regardless of where they had their beginning.

Facing the pressure while competing for the CL,FA, League etc etc will be much more beneficial than being on a mid-table team or fighting to avoid relegation (although the latter may better reflect playing for England )
Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #258
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the moment, with the ass-kicking Liverpool are delivering, Wanderers may be lucky to get Wenger's 6M for Cahill.

For some reason Bolton are not as defensively organized as they usually are.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #259
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pleased with Norwich today. They were shaky at the beginning, but once they settled down, they looked pretty decent. Especially considering, of course, that Chelsea are a good opponent and Stamford Bridge is a tough place to get any points.

Hopefully Drogba is OK. Quite honestly, however, I think that the ref got it right by not calling anything. It was a 50-50 ball, a hard collision, no ill intent, very fast, and unfortunately he got hurt. The collision wasn't any different than two outfield players knocking heads going for the same ball, and that's almost always chalked up to 50-50 and unfortunate. Still a very scary moment as you could see Drogba's body was limp as he fell to the ground, right on his face.

Although Norwich supporters may feel hard done by regarding the officiating, the red card and penalty was the right call. I think that he went down easily (the replay showed him starting his fall before contact), but the referee can't be blamed. There was contact, albeit soft, and he was the last man back. The rules state that's a penalty and red, and it was. It may seem harsh, but there was little else that the red could have done. It was far more clear cut than the penalty and red last game, which may have been a red and definitely wasn't a penalty as it was 3 or 4 yards outside.

Edit: But I do think that Torres should have received a second yellow...

Considering that even the most devoted Norwich fan would have been happy with anything less than a blowout, I think that this will be a good confidence boost for them.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 08-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #260
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Soccer players amuse me sometimes. Liverpool is up 3-0, and when Bolton gets away with an apparent back pass to the goalie, three losers in red go straight at the referee, waiving their hands like morons. Soccer really needs to implement a rule where only the captain may approach the referee or something. That behaviour is just embarrassing, especially in a game that was over in less than an hour.

Also, Drogba got knocked the eff out. That was ugly.
Closed Thread