Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #321
blazingZepplin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Friedman is a knowledgeable hockey person so he have more insight so yes he got valid points but i still dislike the canucks!
blazingZepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #322
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Again, it should be utterly laughable that is even an argument. The guy complaining, trying to get into the opposition locker room is the same guy who started his goons against LA's top line.
Not that they deserve any sort of defense, but they didn't start their goon line against LA. It was Hamhuis/Tanev on D and Kassian/Kesler/Higgins. Far from a goon line.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #323
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if Hartley wanted a brawl or was just rewarding the grinders, I'm leaning toward him sending the Canucks a message though. Quite possible though that Hartley wasn't expecting a line brawl and was just expecting a McGrattan/Sestito fight.

If Tortorella didn't want to play into Hartley's hand all he had to do was start a line like Kessler/Richardson/Higgins and I doubt any fights would have happened. He didn't even need to start the Sedins, just didn't have to start his goons to match Hartley.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #324
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The whole "Torts had to do it" argument is such a P.O.S

If it was the third shift of the game and a faceoff in the Flames end and Hartley put his 4th line out I am sure that Torts would have had no issue putting out his first line and trying to score a goal.
I am not defending Torts, but I don't blame him for putting his tough guys out there too.

I think the Flames game plan from the beginning was to intimidate the weakly Canucks early, which is exactly what would have happened if they would have started their 1st line. McGrattan and Westgarth wouldn't have had to even drop the gloves for that to happen.

The only thing I blame Torts for was acting indignant afterwards and then trying to fight the coaching staff. Taking the bait that we set for him at the opening face-off may have been a bad coaching decision, but his reaction after is what makes him an idiot.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #325
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsflamesfan View Post
This honestly is a horrible argument. If Sedin is injured, you don't play him. Just because his iron man streak is on the line doesn't mean you play him. The iron man streak means nothing if he gets a serious injury because of the smaller injuries finally catching up.
Off topic, but that iron streak has a huge asterisk beside it considering last year he was dressed just to take a 10 second shift so he could keep it going. His Ironman streak is a joke.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #326
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Westgarth didn't even fight Bieksa once he said no, even though he had every chance to pound the guy. What makes you think he would go after Sedin or Kesler?

I like Friedman, but I think in this case he is off base. Neither of those guys would've gone after Vancouvers skilled guys.
I agree. Tons of respect for McGrattan after that hallway incident. Really ironic that Bieksa gets credit for taking a faceoff then leaving his team mate out to dry, yet McGrattan stood front and center for his team and kept Torts from getting his head kicked in.

All this talk of him being a reckless goon by the Vancouver side is hilarious. You can tell he knows the line quite well. Something I can't say for the hair pulling, trash talking when glass is separating you, cheap shot Canucks.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #327
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame19,289 View Post
The Canucks have 10 games remaining before the Olympic break.

I think it's highly likely that we won't see Torts behind the bench again until after Sochi.
I wish, but highly doubt
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #328
davidbjordan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Westgarth didn't even fight Bieksa once he said no, even though he had every chance to pound the guy. What makes you think he would go after Sedin or Kesler?

I like Friedman, but I think in this case he is off base. Neither of those guys would've gone after Vancouvers skilled guys.
westgarth may be a scrub but he is smart enough to know his role... same with mcgrattan, he rarely puts himself in a position to be criticized as a dirtbag.

Also i always thought friedman was more sensible but this year he has dialed up the crazy a little bit more. He seems to come up with the craziest explanations for things.

Eliott friedman - "i had a fun night" THEN "you have to come down strong on this" AND "lucky that no security guard got hurt"

what did he think tortorella was going to do?
davidbjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #329
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Quite possible though that Hartley wasn't expecting a line brawl and was just expecting a McGrattan/Sestito fight.
That's what I think. If I'm Bob Hartley and I'm expecting a line brawl why wouldn't I have SOB on the ice? If your objective is "win the fight" or just "Keep the skilled guys out of it" then it makes more sense to ice SOB over either of the D-men he started with.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #330
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbjordan View Post
what did he think tortorella was going to do?
That's the thing. Tortorella's anger management issues are so acute that he tried to go through guys like McGrattan to get at Hartley. There's really no telling what someone like that might do.

Personally, I am not expecting a suspension for Tortorella. Though I wouldn't be surprised either with a game or two. I think this is handled mostly through fines. I still think Hartley gets a token $25k for the optics of it, and Tortorella $100k+
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #331
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Not that they deserve any sort of defense, but they didn't start their goon line against LA. It was Hamhuis/Tanev on D and Kassian/Kesler/Higgins. Far from a goon line.
Yeah, that's a blindspot I have.

Any line with Kassian on it is a Goon line.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #332
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smid did not bad for himself.
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbadboss101 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #333
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Westgarth seems like a guy who would fight anyone, agreed with McGrattan
Westgarth didn't fight Bieksa, when Bieksa wouldn't drop his gloves. KW dropped them right away to try and start, but when KB ducked the fight (in order to go get his ass handed to him by a smaller guy in Smid), KW stopped everything. Later in the melee KW grabbed Lain. Lain dropped the gloves and they had a tilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #334
ssjshmo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
Smid did not bad for himself.
Especially since Bieska pansied out fighting Westgarth and goes after Smid for no reason, he basically got himself thrown out of the game
ssjshmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #335
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

just read this on the Canucks HF boards:

"Fine but no suspension. People were smart enough not to take a screaming match physical. That was surreal though seeing the Canucks head coach a few seconds from kicking the entire Flames roster's ass in the hallway."

Is that really what happened? so funny.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #336
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

point taken, he backed off when Bieksa turtled.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #337
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post

"Fine but no suspension. People were smart enough not to take a screaming match physical. That was surreal though seeing the Canucks head coach a few seconds from kicking the entire Flames roster's ass in the hallway."

haha that's funny. Tortorella's just lucky that McGrattan stayed so calm and professional or the Canucks would've had to put him on IR.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #338
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjshmo View Post
Especially since Bieska pansied out fighting Westgarth and goes after Smid for no reason, he basically got himself thrown out of the game
That's Bieksa for you picking his spots. He likes to yap like he's a tough guy but when push comes to shove he's scared to mix it with real tough guys. Smid actually got a couple of good shots in did well against a fake tough guy.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #339
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post

The people of Vancouver should be building a bronze Brian McGrattan statue outside the arena to commemorate the fact he saved Tort's life that night at least twice.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #340
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
The people of Vancouver should be building a bronze Brian McGrattan statue outside the arena to commemorate the fact he saved Tort's life that night at least twice.
Why, they would just trash it during their next riot
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post: