Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2024, 08:32 PM   #61
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
If this is the same kid the talk show host on Sirius NHL (Boomer?) was talking about him today, said he watched him play three times over the break and saw “nothing”.
Yeah, the player that put up 8 points in 4 games as a defenseman, was player of the game in 3 of 4 games he played, named 1st team all-star, won the Adam Herold Memorial Award for top defenseman, and was named tournament MVP, all as a 14-year old, definitely showed "nothing".

Whoever said that is an idiot, pure and simple.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 09:31 PM   #62
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Landon goes to school with my son, I have had the pleasure in watching him quite a bit. Years a head of his peers and he is a lock for the NHL. Unreal skater and is so smart out there. He is legit
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 09:55 PM   #63
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
Landon goes to school with my son, I have had the pleasure in watching him quite a bit. Years a head of his peers and he is a lock for the NHL. Unreal skater and is so smart out there. He is legit
I mean the exact same things were said about Sean Day. We really won't know if he is legit until he matures more.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:41 PM   #64
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I mean the exact same things were said about Sean Day. We really won't know if he is legit until he matures more.
Dupont is legit. He isn't so far ahead of his peers (significantly further ahead than Day was) because he is 6"3 and 220 lbs and can skate really well at 14 years old like Day. There really isn't much in common between the two players at all except they're both 14-year old defensemen when they went for exceptional status
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 11:50 PM   #65
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Dupont is legit. He isn't so far ahead of his peers (significantly further ahead than Day was) because he is 6"3 and 220 lbs and can skate really well at 14 years old like Day. There really isn't much in common between the two players at all except they're both 14-year old defensemen when they went for exceptional status
You cannot possibly know at his age if Dupont is legit. Kids get hyped like this and quite often crash and burn. Shane Wright at the same age was considered the next generational player. How is he significantly further ahead than Day who was considered the total package at the same age? I think you are being extremely bias because you really like the player. He might become a great NHL player, he just as easily might become nothing, it is too early to tell.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:40 AM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
Well what the hell? Tell him to start sandbagging it until he drops to somewhere we can realistically draft him!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:06 AM   #67
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
You cannot possibly know at his age if Dupont is legit. Kids get hyped like this and quite often crash and burn. Shane Wright at the same age was considered the next generational player. How is he significantly further ahead than Day who was considered the total package at the same age? I think you are being extremely bias because you really like the player. He might become a great NHL player, he just as easily might become nothing, it is too early to tell.

Obviously time will tell

But his vision and hockey IQ are noticeably above the rest of the skaters on the teams he was playing as well as his own

He has clearly separated himself from his age group and elite players 1-3 years older at this point in time
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:10 AM   #68
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Day was never considered a total package. You should really go back and read up on Day as there is really comparison between the two other than they're both defenseman. You can call me "extremely biased" lol but I don't think you have any basis to claim any bias from me, I don't know the kid. He will be drafted in 3 years, it's not like it's some crazy decades away prediction and there are plenty of people hyping the kid because of his on-ice performance, off-ice demeanor, statistics, accolades, testimonials etc. If people said Bedard was legit at 14 would you have the same stance? Plenty of people, myself included, were touting Bedard as the next major player after McD when he was 13/14 and low and behold here we are. Some players are that good. Dupont is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 08:17 AM   #69
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My theory - Sean Day shouldn't have gotten exceptional status but he was a dual Canada/US citizen so they allowed him in so he wouldn't join the US development program and instead would play for Canada. Ended up not mattering since he wasn't very good.

All the other exceptional players get picked #1 overall in their junior draft. He was #4 - just not on the same level as the other guys even when he was given exceptional status.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 08:20 AM   #70
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Day was never considered a total package. You should really go back and read up on Day as there is really comparison between the two other than they're both defenseman. You can call me "extremely biased" lol but I don't think you have any basis to claim any bias from me, I don't know the kid. He will be drafted in 3 years, it's not like it's some crazy decades away prediction and there are plenty of people hyping the kid because of his on-ice performance, off-ice demeanor, statistics, accolades, testimonials etc. If people said Bedard was legit at 14 would you have the same stance? Plenty of people, myself included, were touting Bedard as the next major player after McD when he was 13/14 and low and behold here we are. Some players are that good. Dupont is.
He called you extremely Bias not biased. I assume he's talking about that basketball player Len Bias. He was that NBA prodigy that was supposed to be better than Jordan but died of a heart-attack due to cocaine use.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketba...michael-jordan

According to former NBA player Walt Williams, Len Bias could have been the greatest of all time. Williams told the Basketball Network last year that Bias was ahead of Michael Jordan in terms of skills. Bias had the better jumpshot and could defend all five positions.

Obviously he can fizzle out. Not breaking new ground to suggest that. Just interesting a Calgary kid (could possibly argue he developed more in Germany than here) and a Flames connection and interesting to watch his development, that's all.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:51 AM   #71
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brandon Montour at Edge School?

Scooter really Googled “Edge Hockey” and picked the first notable defenceman on Edge Hockey Academy’s (GTA) website not realizing it is completely different than Edge School (Calgary), didn’t he. Hilarious and completely on brand.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 09:22 AM   #72
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My boss's son played against Bedard from 12-15 yo. He would constantly tell me to look at Bedard's stats even when he was 12, and you could see it there. His eye test, would always tell me he was special, and was almost a sure thing to be make something out of hockey. There's the key word. MAKE SOMETHING OUT OF HOCKEY, not necessarily NHL.

Regardless, this kid sounds like alot of fun, and tons of potential
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:23 AM   #73
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, you can't know that. Would I have said the same thing about Bedard at 14? Yup, because he could have turned out the same as Shane Wright who was just as highly hyped at the same age. Some players are that good, but you can't possibly know if Dupont will be yet.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:27 AM   #74
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol

What a thing to argue about
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 09:32 AM   #75
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reminds me of Aito Iguchi, who was famous almost a decade ago because of his insane skill.
But he never really played in North America for an extended period of time, and at 20 years old, he's only 5'3"

Most of us knew that Iguchi, despite his skill, was always a longshot. At least DuPont already has sufficient size and seems to have optimal development circumstances.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:32 AM   #76
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Lol

What a thing to argue about
You only say that because you're not as awesome at watching teenage boys play hockey as the rest of us.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:02 AM   #77
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
He called you extremely Bias not biased. I assume he's talking about that basketball player Len Bias. He was that NBA prodigy that was supposed to be better than Jordan but died of a heart-attack due to cocaine use.

According to former NBA player Walt Williams, Len Bias could have been the greatest of all time. Williams told the Basketball Network last year that Bias was ahead of Michael Jordan in terms of skills. Bias had the better jumpshot and could defend all five positions.
Golf clap for addressing this pet peeve.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:18 AM   #78
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post

Obviously he can fizzle out. Not breaking new ground to suggest that. Just interesting a Calgary kid (could possibly argue he developed more in Germany than here) and a Flames connection and interesting to watch his development, that's all.
great 30 for 30 episode
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:39 AM   #79
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another famous 'superstar kid' is in the Flames organization. Emilio Pettersen was a wunderkid too when he was much younger, and had to leave Norway since there was not enough legitimate competition for him in Norway. BTW, I think he has worked his way into being a legitimate prospect for this organization, and i was very impressed with how he showed no fear of attacking the net during preseason - one of the deserving players on the Wranglers who should get a look in the NHL at some point this season.

There is no certainty when it comes to Landon, but if I were to make a bet, I would say he is more likely to be the 'next great one' than not, simply because there aren't many holes (size, speed, iQ, hockey family, quality of competition, coaching, etc). Kid seems to be legit, rather than just 'mesmerizing'.

What is really interesting is that Calgary may be in a position to draft him if things aren't working out by then.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 10:51 AM   #80
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
If this is the same kid the talk show host on Sirius NHL (Boomer?) was talking about him today, said he watched him play three times over the break and saw “nothing”.
I know nothing about this kid, but Boomer says stupid stuff all the time. I think it's his schtick to stay employed. He is awful.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote