Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #181
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Nice! Rathji, we can do the stress test on your machine too, if that is still on the table. April 21 sounds perfectly reasonable. I leave for England on May 5th, but I think we can complete our ultra hardcore series before I leave.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #182
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Gameservers got back to me already, they give you full FTP access so you can make any changes you wish.
Logged on a bit and they seem fairly lag free, but no one else on of course.

When would be the best time to test mine, so we can know one way or another if it will work>?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #183
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can do it tonight, or Saturday, Sunday during the day. As far as I know most of my evenings next week are open as well.

As far as actually playing the game, remember we can do it over multiple days, even if some days we only get an hour in, to help accommodate schedules.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #184
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
I can do it tonight, or Saturday, Sunday during the day. As far as I know most of my evenings next week are open as well.

As far as actually playing the game, remember we can do it over multiple days, even if some days we only get an hour in, to help accommodate schedules.
Sounds good. I'm available starting next week. I'm currently on assignment with my company so I won't be able to get to minecraft easy. Starting next week tuesday to thursday is good for me.

Also, does everyone have gaming headsets? It'd be cool if we have more than one option to communicate with each other.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #185
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good point on the headset.
I have an older headset that I have not used in many years. I will make sure it is working by then.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #186
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can I invite myself to this party?
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #187
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Sounds good. I'm available starting next week. I'm currently on assignment with my company so I won't be able to get to minecraft easy. Starting next week tuesday to thursday is good for me.

Also, does everyone have gaming headsets? It'd be cool if we have more than one option to communicate with each other.
All I have for a headset is my BB headphones with the inline mic. Is that good enough, or should I get something more skookum?

Man, I got to download the game tonight and start learning it so I'm not the first to die!
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #188
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
Can I invite myself to this party?
You choose your level of involvement. (Project mayhem).

All kidding aside, of course. I think we're up to 7 interested participants including you.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #189
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
All I have for a headset is my BB headphones with the inline mic. Is that good enough, or should I get something more skookum?

Man, I got to download the game tonight and start learning it so I'm not the first to die!
As long as you can hear us and we can hear you lol. My headset isn't the greatest either. I can communicate fine with it. That's all that matters.

I do plan to record the whole thing from my perspective though lol.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #190
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaming headset is no problem here, I'll also check with the clan about using our Ventrilo, it can handle a lot of people so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #191
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A few thoughts...

Despite my huge desire to do this, I'm probably one of the least experienced Minecrafters of those interested. I've only joined one multiplayer game, and never done any plugins or modding of anything. That said, I'm obviously willing to learn whatever's required. I've been pretty much obsessed with this since finding out about it on here. I've watched the first 4 episodes from everyone's perspective, and I think over half of episode 5's.

Another plugin that we'd probably want is the one they use to show everyone's health bar. As one of the guys says in his video, I think it adds a lot to the experience.

I would think we would all want to record the video, both for people to watch for entertainment, and to verify that there was no funny business. Peer pressure is probably the main thing that keeps people from just hiding in a 2x2x2 hole the whole time.

As far as rules, I would vote for tossing the confusing "no branch/strip mining" rule, since no one in the Mindcrack contest even seems 100% sure what that even is. The alliances one I don't really care one way or another about, as long as there can only be one winner in the end. (unless you know of some Nightlock berries in the game)

Saturday nights are probably the best time for me, as far as being compatible with other people especially. I work night shift during the week, so I could be a scheduling annoyance. That said, if we were going to play a long session I could maybe see about taking a Friday night off.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #192
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

More and more I'm thinking the server rental thing is the way to go, you can add 10 person Ventrilo for $2. I realize your option is free Rathji and it's appreciated but with a rental there should be no doubt about bandwidth. The cost is inconsequential at $12 for a month, I have no problem covering it, we're only talking a month here, not a permanent server.

This would also give us the opportunity to get everything setup, as well as somewhere for people to familiarize themselves with each other (a private Ventrilo would be very handy) and the multiplayer aspect. I'm like you QuadCity, I've never played Minecraft online either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #193
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you guys want to set it up, then that's the way to go for sure. I can help with lots of it for sure though. Just let me know.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #194
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Rathji has his final on April 21 and Bruce leaves for England on May 5, so I'm thinking server rental starting the week of April 9. That gives some time for setup and messing around, then actual gameplay between the 21st and the 5th, which gives us 2 weeks.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #195
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

That works out good for me, since early on that week I will be finishing up my semester work and needing a break. So I will have time if help is needed getting it set up.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #196
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds good to me, Hanni.

I downloaded minecraft last night and got a bit familiar with it. I gotta say the guys in those videos make everything look easy! I died the first time I went swimming - just sank to the bottom because I couldn't figure out how to swim. Eating was another challenge - I cooked up some chicken but then couldn't figure out how to eat it.

But now I'm a lean, mean, swimming and chicken-eating machine!

About the no strip-mining rule they play by - I wonder if it's to make resources harder to acquire or if it's meant to force players to the surface and move around?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #197
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post

About the no strip-mining rule they play by - I wonder if it's to make resources harder to acquire or if it's meant to force players to the surface and move around?
It is, I think it's a good rule. You're allowed to dig down/sideways to try and find caves. You can't clear large areas looking for resources or branch mine, which is basically mining out in every direction in a grid pattern. It forces people to search out caves to look for gold, with everyone caving it increases the odds of running into each other.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #198
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
So Rathji has his final on April 21 and Bruce leaves for England on May 5, so I'm thinking server rental starting the week of April 9. That gives some time for setup and messing around, then actual gameplay between the 21st and the 5th, which gives us 2 weeks.
Timeline sounds good to me too!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #199
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the strip/branch mining rules as well.

Not only would it be crazy boring but it gives that person an advantage and it is not nearly as dangerous since you are dealing with an area that is already lit and not possibly populated with monsters, so everyone would do it and the entire point of the Ultra Hardcore mode would be lost.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #200
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can someone explain the no strip-mining rules?
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote