Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #541
oilboy2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Seems Eddie O has a big problem with the guy avoiding a hit:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/2...ers-blackhawks
oilboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #542
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

He avoided the hit, don't see an issue here. Is he supposed to just let himself get nailed?

Even if he looked hilarious in the process, so awkward, lol.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #543
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

People got on Marchand's case when he did it against Vancouver in the SCF. [shrug]
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #544
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

plenty of legitimate reasons to hack on him - no need to reach this far
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #545
Sol
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I actually agree with the broadcaster. The article seems to suggest that Carcillo was charging while the clip posted doesn't show Carcillo take a single step. Was it late? Not even close. Turtling is dangerous, he's absolutely correct.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #546
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Turtling in that situation is a good way to blow someone's knees out. I get wanting to get out of the way, but sometimes you have to man up and take the hit.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #547
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yep, ducking a hit like that is pretty... LOW.

Yeah I went there.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #548
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the next time Carcillo wont' be so anxious to nail Yakupov.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
JD
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #549
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If it was any other player than Carcillo, then it may be cheap. But eliminating the risk of damaging your quality of life by a type of player that will soon not exist in the game is something I would advise 9 times out of 10. He didn't duck out of the way dangerously, and there is a difference.

If Baertschi/Gaudreau is about to get run by some goon, I would advocate he does whatever he needs to to not get hurt. Not being able to leave the house for 4 years due to the light because you need to live up to some meathead hockey code, get your stick up.
I don't have a problem with a player like Carcillo but than I don't have a problem with Nail making defensive moves either. Ducking or keeping his stick up is alright with me. I remember Darryl and others saying it's partly on the onus of the player to keep his head up and that's what Nail did. I'm not condoning being blindsided from behind though.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #550
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't get why it's cheap to avoid the hit. If you see the guy coming and you are able to get rid of the puck, why would you stick around and get checked after if you can avoid it?
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #551
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're going to check someone in that position and there's a chance that he ducks and you go face first into the boards, then maybe you should be taking that into consideration. Can't the hitter take some risk and responsibility?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #552
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I think people need to get of yakupovs case. If he was a flame we would live him. One stupid celebration isn't enough fit me to rag on the guy. He is filling the net and best of all stealing halls spotlight.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #553
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
I think people need to get of yakupovs case. If he was a flame we would live him. One stupid celebration isn't enough fit me to rag on the guy. He is filling the net and best of all stealing halls spotlight.
If he was on the Flames I am sure many would plug their nose and support him more than they do now but in no way would he be loved after some of the garbage he pulls.

How is he stealing Hall's spotlight and why is that a good thing for Flames fans?
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #554
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Ahh yes, the ole "If he were a Flame" trump card.

Yakupov is a clown, and would be a clown in red if he were a Flame.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #555
krispykream
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

this guy scored his 2nd goal of the season and celebrated like he won the Stanley cup lol
krispykream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #556
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
He avoided the hit, don't see an issue here. Is he supposed to just let himself get nailed?
Yes he's suppose to absorb the hit or try to throw a hit himself. He had plenty of time to throw a hit back and try to bounce Carcillo off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
I don't get why it's cheap to avoid the hit. If you see the guy coming and you are able to get rid of the puck, why would you stick around and get checked after if you can avoid it?
It's not cheap to avoid a hit. It's cheap to duck a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If you're going to check someone in that position and there's a chance that he ducks and you go face first into the boards, then maybe you should be taking that into consideration. Can't the hitter take some risk and responsibility?
The thing is you don't want to take hitting out of the game yet you want to ensure player safety. If ducking is allowed or a player is allowed to cross-check someone in the face in defense of being hit, then players will think twice before throwing a hard bodycheck. That's not what the NHL wants. That's not what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I don't have a problem with Nail making defensive moves either. Ducking or keeping his stick up is alright with me. I remember Darryl and others saying it's partly on the onus of the player to keep his head up and that's what Nail did.
I don't think Darryl was encouraging ducking when he was talking about the players needing to keep their head up. The problem is that it goes both ways. What if Sven went in for a hit and someone crosschecked him in the face giving him a concussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Turtling in that situation is a good way to blow someone's knees out. I get wanting to get out of the way, but sometimes you have to man up and take the hit.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
People got on Marchand's case when he did it against Vancouver in the SCF. [shrug]
Despite everything I've said, I'm willing to excuse Yakapov for this one. I have a problem with ducking but I can excuse a player acting out of natural instincts. It looked like Yakupov was trying to get out of the way and then had an "oh ####" moment where he realized he couldn't get out of the way and did what was natural. Marchand, on the other hand, purposely waited for the opposing player to come near him and then purposely tried to flip them over. He did this on more than one occasion and it wasn't a natural reaction at all but rather a move he's made countless of times with the intention of ducking the hit and flipping someone over. Very dangerous.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #557
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mod edit: enough slamming the site
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #558
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were the Oilers, I think I'd be more upset by it. Not taking a clean hit properly is one of the things that puts players at greater risk of injury (both players). Not to mention, Yakupov likely took himself out of the play longer than he would have if he just took the hit.

Having said that, I used to love when Huselius would dodge hits, but he wouldn't completely dive like that.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #559
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

He saw Carcillo coming from a mile away. It wasn't like he would have gotten run over. You can step out of the way, but ducking down is a stupid move. Good way to get yourself hurt. Anyone who has ever played hockey knows you are better off to square up to the hit, especially if you're in such a position.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #560
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who cares about Yakupov. Look at all those overrated guys up there. hahaha

Eberle 18 games 12 points
Schultz 18 games 10 points
Nuge 17 games 7 points.

hahahahaha. suckers.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote