Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #461
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
We get it Dion, you hate the PC's.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #462
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

And good license plate design...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #463
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Is this a function of supply and demand? Are there so many designers, artists, actors, singers, etc. that the most efficient and cost effective way to get through it all is to hold contests and auditions? It's tough to blame a client on setting it up as a contest when there are so many people willing to work for it. It's basically the opposite of a union, who won't do any work unless it's specifically written out.
I guess it comes down to what is considered a reasonable "audition" for creative work.

Would it be reasonable to commission 5 handed painted oil portraits of your family from 5 different artist while paying for just one?

I'd argue no, that's not very reasonable, but you may feel differently.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #464
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Is this a function of supply and demand? Are there so many designers, artists, actors, singers, etc. that the most efficient and cost effective way to get through it all is to hold contests and auditions? It's tough to blame a client on setting it up as a contest when there are so many people willing to work for it. It's basically the opposite of a union, who won't do any work unless it's specifically written out.

It seems like this is a known risk on entering the industry. Actors know they have to audition. Designers know they will be doing some work for free. It's not really different than other professions. Articling CA and law students know they are going to be working extremely long hours, making very little wages, while the partners make large earnings. We know what we are getting into, and go about it because the rewards out weigh the risks. It's not even that dissimilar to athletes doing tryouts to make teams. It's not identical, but not that far off.

I'm not saying you shouldn't want to be paid; I wouldn't do my job if I wasn't paid. I am saying I don't see how you call this unethical. You can call it cheap, greedy, etc., but unethical is the wrong word. Unethical would be having the contest, declaring all the ideas crap, and then modifying your favourite just a bit. When the designer complains, you tell them to sue you, knowing they don't have the funds to do it.
The reason the AAA and the RAIC began to regulate architectural design competitions is entirely due to the unethical nature of most design competitions.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #465
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this. Just heard that not only will you be forced to get a new plate, it'll be with new numbers as well.Can anyone confirm this?

I hate that, I've had the same plate on at least one of my vehicles since I first got my license. 6 digits ftw.

On another note, the Support our Troops plates are finally out, I saw one the other day. I'll just get one of those instead of any of these garbage designs.

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 AM   #466
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Support oversaturated, neon blue! This sucks.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #467
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Bumping this. Just heard that not only will you be forced to get a new plate, it'll be with new numbers as well.Can anyone confirm this?

I hate that, I've had the same plate on at least one of my vehicles since I first got my license. 6 digits ftw.
How did you think it would work, the government would make your plate for you with current numbers, and then send it to all registries in Alberta, waiting for you to pickup and renew over the next 2 years?

Best idea if your that desperate to retain those letters and numbers, is to wait for as long as it takes for the announcement, and right before the cutoff ate/arrival of new plates, renew your current ones for 2 years. Then in two years, get a vanity plate with your current letters and numbers. I am guessing the new ones will be 7 digits, so you should be able to get a 6 digit vanity plate no problem.

I recall it being such an odd experience and it was a big deal in 1982 when my dad switched yellow plates for white ones, with a totally foreign numbers on them. But not life altering.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #468
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell me again why we're doing this?

And support our troops doing what exactly now that they're all back home?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #469
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

Sandbagging.

Manitoba flood season is only 8 months away...
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #470
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

You're saying that just because the country is not at war with another nation or fighting in another country that we should not care about our troops and our veterans? The people that at a moment's notice are asked to jump on a boat/plane and travel to Ukraine and support NATO operations far away from their own country, family, and loved ones? The people that willingly sacrifice their lives to enforce basic law and order and to secure Canada's national interests at home and abroad no matter who gives the order and how dangerous it is.

I'm sorry, but I can't thank people of service enough for what they do. Suggesting that the sacrifices of people in the past is not worthy of honouring today because the country is not engaged actively in a foreign land is bs.
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HOWITZER For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #471
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
You're saying that just because the country is not at war with another nation or fighting in another country that we should not care about our troops and our veterans? The people that at a moment's notice are asked to jump on a boat/plane and travel to Ukraine and support NATO operations far away from their own country, family, and loved ones? The people that willingly sacrifice their lives to enforce basic law and order and to secure Canada's national interests at home and abroad no matter who gives the order and how dangerous it is.

I'm sorry, but I can't thank people of service enough for what they do. Suggesting that the sacrifices of people in the past is not worthy of honouring today because the country is not engaged actively in a foreign land is bs.
That's not what I meant at all. I have a great deal of respect for members of the Armed Forces. But to me the Support our Troops movement was a product of our military being at war and was a way to show support for the troops even for those who don't support the mission. That time has come and gone, hopefully for a good long while, and we're not a fundamentally militaristic society like our southern neighbours, so I don't see the need to specifcally call out the military for support - why not support our firefighters, support our teachers, etc.?

Just my opinion, and again no disrespect intended towards members of the armed forces.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #472
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's not what I meant at all. I have a great deal of respect for members of the Armed Forces. But to me the Support our Troops movement was a product of our military being at war and was a way to show support for the troops even for those who don't support the mission. That time has come and gone, hopefully for a good long while, and we're not a fundamentally militaristic society like our southern neighbours, so I don't see the need to specifcally call out the military for support - why not support our firefighters, support our teachers, etc.?

Just my opinion, and again no disrespect intended towards members of the armed forces.
How about the troops that have come back with permanent physical disabilities and the ones with PTSD that are getting no support and many commiting suicide? Has that time passed as well?
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #473
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course not. I've stirred up something I didn't mean to stir up, my apologies.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #474
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I actually understand where you are coming from now. I think to an extent you are correct, Canada is not a militaristic society. We do not go around parading the might of our navy, army and overall gun-wielding yahoo-ness. We tend to be more humble and serve as needed (despite our current government wanting to be portrayed as some mighty nation (full disclosure, I voted for a C candidate in 2011 who was the best for my riding)). And yes, I do as a person think that the contributions by the lunch-bucket people of this country are just as important to our identity.

But I think we still need a way to honour those that fell fighting not for political gain but for keeping freedom and asserting human rights. We need not do this in glory or idolization, but in reverence.

Okay, now back on topic. AB government suggestions: about as no good as the city the legislature sits in.
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HOWITZER For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #475
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worth adding that $55 of the $75 cost of the plate goes to the Canadian Forces Support our Troops program, which helps families, organizes charity events, and the such. Not just a blind parading of gun wielding yahoo-ness like our neighbours, as howitzer put it so well above

That and it looks better than any of the proposed plate designs. Win-Win

Last edited by btimbit; 08-17-2014 at 10:20 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2014, 05:41 AM   #476
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Someone submit this one and we will jihad it to victory.
Please! This would be the best license plate in the world!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #477
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
I actually understand where you are coming from now. I think to an extent you are correct, Canada is not a militaristic society. We do not go around parading the might of our navy, army and overall gun-wielding yahoo-ness. We tend to be more humble and serve as needed (despite our current government wanting to be portrayed as some mighty nation (full disclosure, I voted for a C candidate in 2011 who was the best for my riding)). And yes, I do as a person think that the contributions by the lunch-bucket people of this country are just as important to our identity.

But I think we still need a way to honour those that fell fighting not for political gain but for keeping freedom and asserting human rights. We need not do this in glory or idolization, but in reverence.

Okay, now back on topic. AB government suggestions: about as no good as the city the legislature sits in.
Thanks Howitzer and others. I was thinking about Support our Troops more narrowly as a time of war thing but i have a better appreciation of the tribute angle now. Also nice to hear the monetary support aspect.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #478
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Because our current plates are a joke with a font that screams disco and bell bottom pants.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #479
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Because our current plates are a joke with a font that screams disco and bell bottom pants.
green text? I like our current plates a heck of a lot more than any of the current options.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #480
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like Version 2 is going to win. Voting closes tomorrow.

Version 1 45.61% (74,392 votes)

Version 2 48.45% (79,028 votes)

Version 3 5.93% (9,676 votes)

Total Votes: 163,096