Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #281
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Transit employee announcing Car2Go rate hikes? Bias much?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #282
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^LOL

I gotta say, the Car2Go experience continues to be positive for me and don't mind the rate hikes....the value is still there for sure.

Finding a car is sometimes a problem (downtown, 3pm+) but in general things go well. And the car performed like a champ on Tuesday morning after all the snow. I really couldn't believe how well they handled, considering.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #283
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
They claim that they winterize... and that they put winter tires on- haven't driven one in the last week so I couldn't confirm. But they're supposed to be all properly equipped (advertising says some of them even have heated seats).
I don't care if they winterize them or have winter tires.

All I am concerned about is if they have a big enough cup holder for my extra large Latte.
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #284
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
I don't care if they winterize them or have winter tires.

All I am concerned about is if they have a big enough cup holder for my extra large Latte.
actually yes they are, last time i used a car2go someone had bought a extra large double double from tims and left it in the car.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #285
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
^^LOL

I gotta say, the Car2Go experience continues to be positive for me and don't mind the rate hikes....the value is still there for sure.

Finding a car is sometimes a problem (downtown, 3pm+) but in general things go well. And the car performed like a champ on Tuesday morning after all the snow. I really couldn't believe how well they handled, considering.
Yeah, Smart Cars are excellent in snow. All of the crashed/beached cars last week were probably more related to the fact that a lot of Car 2 Go people are hardcore strugglers, only drive every once in a while, a simply have little or no experience driving in snow.

I love Car 2 Go, but the people I usually see climbing in them, are lame human beings. There is always 4 or 5 of them on my street. There is a 50/50 chance, the user of a Car 2 Go car is wearing skinny jeans, and some ironic glasses. Hipsters suck at life.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #286
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite enjoyed seeing the Car2Go stuck in the snow bank on 9th Ave by Fort Calgary.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #287
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Starting May 5 we can use car2go in US cities. This is great news, I rarely use my membership here but really found it useful in Montreal and Vancouver.

Also, if a member brings a friend to the Tea Factory on 4th SW between 10 and 2 today they can sign up for free. Save $35.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smartcar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #288
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Yeah, Smart Cars are excellent in snow. All of the crashed/beached cars last week were probably more related to the fact that a lot of Car 2 Go people are hardcore strugglers, only drive every once in a while, a simply have little or no experience driving in snow.

I love Car 2 Go, but the people I usually see climbing in them, are lame human beings. There is always 4 or 5 of them on my street. There is a 50/50 chance, the user of a Car 2 Go car is wearing skinny jeans, and some ironic glasses. Hipsters suck at life.
"hardcore struggler"? Awesome! I'm using that from here on in. I promise to give you credit.
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #289
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit of a bump here, but there is a promotion for free registration (regularly $35) on until August 20th. This is because it is Car2Go's 2nd anniversary in Calgary.

Promo code is C2GBDAY

Here is the link to the tweet : https://twitter.com/car2goCalgary/st...52667182448640

I signed up for an account, even though I'm unlikely to use it much. But it does give you another option, particularly when traveling to other cities that have it. Or when my car is in for service. Or trips downtown that would come with a hefty parking cost. Etc.

They have also expanded the zone considerably to include quite a bit more of the city.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #290
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I noticed Car2Go vehicles being ticketed in 2 hour zones. I asked the parking officer about it, and I guess they are now just treating them like any other vehicle in time restricted zones, and Car2Go is eating the tickets.

This seems like it kills their economics a bit, the ones by my office won't move all day and will get a ticket every day. The car needs to run for 10 hours a day to pay for the ticket, and that isn't including fuel or anything else. How is that working?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #291
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I noticed Car2Go vehicles being ticketed in 2 hour zones. I asked the parking officer about it, and I guess they are now just treating them like any other vehicle in time restricted zones, and Car2Go is eating the tickets.

This seems like it kills their economics a bit, the ones by my office won't move all day and will get a ticket every day. The car needs to run for 10 hours a day to pay for the ticket, and that isn't including fuel or anything else. How is that working?
That can't be right - they have an agreement with the city that allows them to exceed time limits (but not no-parking times, eg rush hour on 6th ave), and AFAIK that agreement was good until the end of 2017.

I foresee some cancelled tickets...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #292
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post

I've actually noticed that over the last couple of weeks that when I grabbed a Car2Go it almost always had a ticket sitting in the storage area that said "Over Time limit."

I wonder if the City is now issuing the tickets under some sort of procedural requirement but that they are cancelled once they go into the system.

I'm surprised it is 2 years already. The program still seems so fresh and new. I wonder if and when we will get the new Car2Go Black program?

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 07-24-2014 at 12:50 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #293
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope that this isn't a sign of some tension between Car2Go and the city. If the city wanted to audit how much space and parking revenue those cars are eating up, surely there must be a more efficient way. Paying an officer to issue tickets that are going to be written off anyway, plus the administrative costs, is a huge waste of time. And as Hulkrogan said, if they are legit tickets, the business model will sure take a hit.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #294
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been using Car2Go for a little over a year now, and I love it. It's super convenient and I use it a lot more than I ever thought I would.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #295
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've noticed cars getting tickets for going over the two-hour limit around my building for probably six months now. I've always just guessed it's a procedural thing because like you said, it's not economic for Car2Go, and it's also a waste of time for the meter maids.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #296
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Narrow-minded I'm sure, but I wonder if the Parking Attendants, are ticketing as part of their daily quote/performance measurement. They may get cancelled, but they did issue a ticket...
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #297
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ That's an interesting point. I would assume that they have a quota and lord knows there's a lot of Car2Go vehicle sitting idle during the day.

That said, I've been a customer for about a year now and really like the service. I walk to the core every day and having access to a vehicle for midday travels (even just getting a haircut...) is incredibly convenient.

I haven't tallied up all the costs, but I've likely spent ~$400-$500 on the service and consider it money very well spent.

My only two complaints:

1. I find the app kind of clunky and occasionally unresponsive. Thought it was my old phone, but the new one has the same issues. The app is (imo) 7/10.
2. The windshields sometimes get scratched/etched besides the card reader, making the display impossible to read. Can't tell if the vehicle is available or reserved....just a minor pet peeve.

Don't see any reason NOT to have a Car2Go membership, just terrific.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #298
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Considering you don't pay if you don't use it, it really doesn't make sense not to have a membership.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #299
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My only issue with C2G is that their home zone isn't citywide yet.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #300
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
My only issue with C2G is that their home zone isn't citywide yet.
It's too big as it is IMO. Don't need the cars to be buried out in the suburbs all night where they won't be used until the commute the next day.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post: