Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #81
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPepper1 View Post
You get 2 rewards points for each dollar spent.

If you're redeeming your points.. 100 points is equal to $1.00

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...ds+Credit+Card
When you redeem the points, to maximize the value of points you will need to make your spend match the tier: $150, $350 or $600, which can be very tricky.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #82
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

so the true value of the capital one points is less than $0.01/point in most cases.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #83
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
When you redeem the points, to maximize the value of points you will need to make your spend match the tier: $150, $350 or $600, which can be very tricky.
its actually not that hard, just pay up to 150 or 350 with the credit card, and remaining on a 2nd credit card. eg:

402 dollar flight

350 on capital one
52 on a secondary card.

Not everyone has a second credit card but most people do. easy peasy! expedia has this option built right in, you dont even have to call in and pay over phone
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #84
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
its actually not that hard, just pay up to 150 or 350 with the credit card, and remaining on a 2nd credit card. eg:

402 dollar flight

350 on capital one
52 on a secondary card.

Not everyone has a second credit card but most people do. easy peasy! expedia has this option built right in, you dont even have to call in and pay over phone
I'm not 100% sure but I think that in order to obtain the flight insurance and other benefits like lost luggage etc, you need to put the entire charge on the Capital One card. Some places will allow separate charges on the same card.

I still think it's a pretty good card because of the yearly bonus points, 2 points per dollar, and I usually save up enough points to not worry about the tiers anyways. The ability to split flights into multiple tickets makes it easier to redeem points and I just don't worry about a few dollars here or there to maximize the tiers. I like the flexibility of redeeming points through travel costs since it makes it easy to redeem travel costs for those last minute deals that cmyden has.
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #85
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdso View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think that in order to obtain the flight insurance and other benefits like lost luggage etc, you need to put the entire charge on the Capital One card. Some places will allow separate charges on the same card.

I still think it's a pretty good card because of the yearly bonus points, 2 points per dollar, and I usually save up enough points to not worry about the tiers anyways. The ability to split flights into multiple tickets makes it easier to redeem points and I just don't worry about a few dollars here or there to maximize the tiers. I like the flexibility of redeeming points through travel costs since it makes it easy to redeem travel costs for those last minute deals that cmyden has.
Good point about insurance. Does this card come with trip cancellation insurance like the Amex gold card?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #86
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPepper1 View Post
I've got about 9000 airmiles and 80,000 aeroplan points. When I need a flight to somewhere I can never find one, so useless. I remember googling sites to trade, I found a few that just looked shady and over priced.

Going to be switching to a proper rewards card now.
If you can plan 8 months ahead, you can find tickets for most of the routes.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #87
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you can plan 8 months ahead, you can find tickets for most of the routes.
For non-peak time travel you only need to book 2 or 3 months in advance.
Daliwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #88
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daliwan View Post
For non-peak time travel you only need to book 2 or 3 months in advance.
What is your definition of non-peak time? Chistmass/new year and spring break?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #89
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
What is your definition of non-peak time? Chistmass/new year and spring break?
I meant peak time.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #90
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I meant peak time.
Yes, Christmas/New Year and spring break.

I managed to redeem tickets to Orlando for Christmas and New Year last year. I planned the trip about 5 months in advance.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #91
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
The american express gold card is a very good one. Now it offers 20k bonus points and first year free.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...IeDQ0bCQ%3D%3D

another one is the Amex SPG card. It offers 21k bonus points for signing up now:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...IWHxcJDw%3D%3D

I have both cards, and I love the insurances come with the card.
I just noticed both cards are rated among the top 5 best premium credit cards in Canada.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #92
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I just noticed both cards are rated among the top 5 best premium credit cards in Canada.
Yeah, they are among the best of travel rewards cards
Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #93
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Amex Gold Rewards card got high stores in rating mostly because it offers big sign-up bonus points and first year free plus double points for travel and other spend.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #94
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I tried to switch to AMEX, but I found a lot of retailers wouldn't take it. If I was shopping anywhere but a big box store, I was out of luck.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #95
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sweet, had to share this.
We been collecting Aeroplan points for awhile and after the March Star challenge, Aeroplan deposited the 25000 bonus points into our accounts today.

With 135,000 points, we just book a December trip:

Toronto to Samoa (semi-executive class) for a few days, then to Auckland (executive class) for a week, and finally to Sydney Australia (commercial) for a week before flying back to Toronto (semi-executive class). Only need to pay taxes so it came out to $715

I know some people on the board say Aeroplan is pretty restrictive, but if you book in advance, and save up for big ticket trips, it's definitely worth it. Aeroplan also allows for 2 "Stop overs", so technically we are flying from Toronto to Sydney round trip, with a stop over at Auckland and Samoa.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #96
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Aeroplan just anonced huge improvements to the program from Jan 1, 2014. Here are the highlights:
- 7 Year expiration policy being canceled
- One way flight awards will only cost 50% of round trip
- Distinction - a new tiered recognition program, that recognizes members based on how many miles they accumulate (separate from Air Canada Altitude)
- New Market Fare Flight Rewards to replace ClassicPlus flight rewards, reduced by up to 20% --- these are the any seat any time flight rewards that fluctuate in mileage requirements based upon how full a flight is, so these flight rewards will typically cost more than ClassicFlight rewards but not as much now.

Time to take this 20k sign-up bonus points offer which can be transfered to Aeroplan 1:1 for free.

Quote:
The american express gold card is a very good one. Now it offers 20k bonus points and first year free.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...IeDQ0bCQ%3D%3D

another one is the Amex SPG card. It offers 21k bonus points for signing up now:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...IWHxcJDw%3D%3D

I have both cards, and I love the insurances come with the card.

Last edited by caff; 06-27-2013 at 04:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to caff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #97
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

This is a significant change. The first time a change by Aeorplan improves the value of the miles.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #98
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
This is a significant change. The first time a change by Aeorplan improves the value of the miles.
For members who can get the distinction status, the flights availability will be like buying tickets with cash. That is the most important improvement to me.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #99
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I've been getting 2x points on all my amex gold card purchases that I should be only getting 1x point, eg. Home Depot, pizza, clothes .... is there some kind of promotion going on?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #100
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny timing on the Aeroplan stuff. I just canceled my Aeroplan visa after 7 years because the rewards program has gone to absolute #####. I have about 100K miles still kicking around with that account though (didn't need $1000 of FTD gift cards...thanks anyway thought. ha) so we'll see if my booking experience is any better.

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points