Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #961
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston College is on CBSS HD next Friday (Mar. 3) at 4:30 PST. It's on Bell TV channel 1432 for HD and 413 for SD. Check your provider for your own channel.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #962
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Reinhart with 2 goals, 2 assists and a +3 in 5-4 OT win tonight.

Leach had an assist, and was +2 in the win as well.

Heat also win tonight 4-1 over the Wolves.

Sylvester (1), Estoclet (1) and Wilson (2) were the goal scorers.

Connelly (1), Nemisz (1), Jessiman (1), Bancks (1), Walter (2) with the assists.

Irving stopped 27 of 28 shots for the win.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 02-25-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #963
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Reinhart with a good night. 2 goals and 2 assists and a +3. Good enough for 1st star.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #964
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just discovered that Juuso Puustinen (5th round draft pick in 06) is playing for Nashville's farm team, and is second on the team with 16 goals.

If anyone was wondering about past prospects...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #965
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If anyone was wondering about past prospects...
that made me do a quick research of some prospects:

- David Van der Gulik (7th round 2002, 4 years in Flames' AHL farm teams, 6 NHL games for Calgary):
Van der Gulik signed in 2010 with Colorado as a free agent. He has since been called up to the NHL regularly and has played 31 games for the Avalanche so far (9 points) over two seasons.

- Cam Cunning (8th round 2003, 6 years in Flames' AHL farm teams):
According to HockeyDB, Cunning hasn't played since being released last summer.

- Carsen Germyn (undrafted, 5 years in Flames' AHL farm teams, 4 NHL games for Calgary):
Germyn, while constantly battling concussion problems, went to Europe and signed with Swiss second-tier team Biel in 2010-11 and played 36 games there. This year, he is playing in the DEL for Straubing where he is 4th in team scoring.

- Dustin Boyd (3rd rounder 2004, 192 NHL games for Calgary):
Boyd went to Russia last summer after spending the whole 2010-11 season with Montreal's AHL farm team. He is playing for Astana Barys and is 3rd in team scoring ... tied with Nigel Dawes BTW, who also played with Montreal's AHL farm team last year.

- Andrei Taratukhin (2nd rounder 2001, 1 year with Flames' AHL team):
Taratukhin has played for Ufa Salavat Yulayev after leaving the Flames. However, he has never reached his full potential and his numbers have dropped over the year. Over the last two seasons, he has scored just a single goal in 50 games!

- Warren Peters (undrafted, 4 years with Flames' AHL team, 16 NHL games for Calgary):
Peters signed with Dallas in 2009 before he signed with Minnesota a year later. He isn't a full-time NHLer, but much like Van der Gulik a regular call-up / fringe NHLer. He has played 49 games with Minnesota (6 points) and had 11 games for Dallas before (1 point).

- Brett Palin (undrafted, 5 years with Flames' AHL farm teams):
Palin signed with Nashville last year. After his concussion problems in Abbotsford, he was able to play a full 80-games AHL season for Milwaukee in 2010-11. However, according to HockeyDB, he has not played this year (retired?).

- Matt Pelech (1st round 2005, 4 years with Flames' AHL farm teams, 5 NHL games for Calgary):
Pelech signed with San Jose last summer, but he has so far failed to make the Sharks' NHL team. Seems like a career AHLer to me.

- Kris Chucko (1st round 2004, 5 years with Flames' AHL farm teams, 2 NHL games for Calgary):
Chucko is retired as he was never able to recover from those post-concussion syndromes.

- Adam Cracknell (9th round 2004, 4 years with Flames' AHL farm teams):
Cracknell signed with St Louis in 2009. He has spent most of the time in the AHL, but managed to be an injury call-up for the Blues. He has played in 26 NHL games for them (8 points).

- Brett Sutter (6th round 2005, 3 years with Flames' AHL farm teams, 18 NHL games for Calgary):
Sutter was traded to Carolina last season. He continues to be an AHL player with NHL call-up opportunities and has 16 NHL games for the Hurricanes to his name (3 points).

- Aaron Marvin (3rd round 2006):
Playing in the ECHL for the Chicago Express.

- Aki Seitsonen (4th round 2004, 4 years with Flames' AHL farm teams):
Seitsonen signed with Finnish team Lukko Rauma in 2009, but managed only one point in 26 games. He returned to North America in 2010, but only played in the ECHL for the Idaho Steelheads. According to HockeyDB, he hasn't played this season.

- Henrik Björklund (4th round 2009):
never came to NA and hasn't played this season. Didn't reach his potential at all.

- Alexander Deilert (7th round 2008):
Much like Björklund he never came to NA. Deilert couldn't stick in the Swedish top league, and he is now playing in Germany's second-tier league for Riessersee SC.

- Hugo Carpentier (4th round 2006, 4 years with Flames' AHL farm teams):
Carpentier couldn't even make the AHL full-time and spent most of the time in the ECHL. According to HockeyDB, he hasn't played this year after being released last June.

- Matt Keetley (5th round 2005, 4 years with Flames' AHL farm teams, 1 NHL game for Calgary):

Keetley is currently a free agent. He is playing in the ECHL for the Bakersfield Condors.

- Kevin Lalande (5th round 2005, 2 years with Flames' AHL farm teams):
While Lalande couldn't beat Keetley in the Flames system, he has since had a lot more success than Keetley. Lalande has been playing in the KHL since 2010 and he has posted very solid numbers for Chekhov Vityaz last year and Dynamo Minsk this year (36 games, 2.40 GAA, .913% saves, 4 SO).

- Gord Baldwin (3rd round 2005, 4 years with Flames' AHL farm teams):
Baldwin left NA after being released last summer. He signed with Czech team Mlada Boleslav and has played 42 games there.

- Dan Ryder (3rd round 2005, 2 years with Flames' AHL farm teams):
Ryder's trouble-filled hockey career came to an end in 2009 after he was released by AHL team Providence Bruins. He was arrested after an armed robbery in 2010, but was found "not guilty" in 2011.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #966
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for doing all that research.

Just a heads up sort of, I find that hockey db doesn't track European players very well sometimes, another site I use to look them up is "Elite Prospects".

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
- Henrik Björklund (4th round 2009):
never came to NA and hasn't played this season. Didn't reach his potential at all.

For example, hockey db has no record of Bjorklund this season, but according to Elite Prospects he's been playing in Allsvenskan.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7101
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #967
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cam Cunning retired and I believe is becoming a firefighter.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #968
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Just a heads up sort of, I find that hockey db doesn't track European players very well sometimes, another site I use to look them up is "Elite Prospects".
thanks for that! I searched for those where HockeyDB had no info and I found out that Brett Palin is playing in Czech Republic, Aki Seitsonen is playing in the "Chinook Hockey League" and Hugo Carpentier is playing in the LNAH.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #969
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
thanks for that! I searched for those where HockeyDB had no info and I found out that Brett Palin is playing in Czech Republic, Aki Seitsonen is playing in the "Chinook Hockey League" and Hugo Carpentier is playing in the LNAH.
No prob

It's an awesome site. Take some time, and search through it.

Stats, history, drafts, etc, you name it.

It's like a one stop hockey info shop.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #970
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Estoclet with another point, this time a goal. Heat tie it up 1-1 with 14:00 left in the 2nd period against the Peoria Rivermen.

2 goals and 6 assists in 7 games for Estoclet.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #971
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nemisz ties the game at 2-2! That's his 12th goal of the season and 6th point in his 6 games since being injured. He's on fire!

EDIT - And now Estoclet just scored again! 2nd goal this afternoon, 3rd goal in 2 games. Make that 3 goals and 6 assists in 7 games. Boy, he's been impressive. 3-2 Heat in the last few minutes of the 2nd period.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 02-26-2012 at 05:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #972
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is Estoclet on a PTO with Abbotsford or did he sign a contract? His numbers seem pretty good so far.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #973
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Is Estoclet on a PTO with Abbotsford or did he sign a contract? His numbers seem pretty good so far.
He's on a PTO. But with the numbers he's putting up, I wouldn't be surprised if he's turning heads in the Flames organization to earn a contract in the offseason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #974
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
He's on a PTO. But with the numbers he's putting up, I wouldn't be surprised if he's turning heads in the Flames organization to earn a contract in the offseason.
He's only 22 also...23 next month. At least he's not a 27 year-old. What's his game like?

Being 22, why's he with his third team in two years? Seems strange to me.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #975
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
He's only 22 also...23 next month. At least he's not a 27 year-old. What's his game like?

Being 22, why's he with his third team in two years? Seems strange to me.
He's an exciting player to watch. He's fast and is full of energy. He isn't afraid to hit people either. He's got a rocket of a wrist shot as well, which is very accurate.

Even though he's 22, he played in the NCAA until he graduated, so he was already 21 by the time he got a chance to turn pro. He got signed by the Providence Bruins as a depth guy for the Calder Cup playoffs and only played 7 games.

Then he got signed to a PTO this season by the Grand Rapids Griffins, but for some reason couldn't cut it with them so he got sent down to Toledo of the ECHL and almost went a point per game with them. I guess he caught the eye of someone in the Flames organization, so the Heat signed him.

I wouldn't worry about his age too much since he's an NCAA product. But he pretty much grabbed this opportunity with the Heat and has fit in very well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #976
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn't worry about his age too much since he's an NCAA product. But he pretty much grabbed this opportunity with the Heat and has fit in very well.

Actually, I like that he's only 22/23, and not 27/28.

BTW, always enjoy your updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #977
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat lost 4-3 in the shootout. Despite Estoclet's SO goal to keep them in it, the Rivermen won.

2 goals from Estoclet and 1 goal from Nemisz.

Assists from Bancks (2), Jessiman, Walter, and Connelly.

Irving was peppered with shots all game long. The Heat didn't have any defense tonight, giving up 39 shots. Irving stopped 36 of them.

The Heat are now tied for 6th place in the West, only 1 point of the 4th spot. Only 5 points separate 4th place from 10th place! The AHL's West standings are most clogged than the NHL's West standings.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #978
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Based on what I've read about Estoclet, it sounds like he could be a jack of all trades third liner if he pans out

Here's an interesting article though. Apparently he was arrested four years ago for burglary

http://thedartmouth.com/2008/06/27/sports/arrest
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #979
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brossoit had 31 saves in a 4-1 win.

Bärtschi and Wotherspoon are scoreless after 2 periods.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #980
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Based on what I've read about Estoclet, it sounds like he could be a jack of all trades third liner if he pans out

Here's an interesting article though. Apparently he was arrested four years ago for burglary

http://thedartmouth.com/2008/06/27/sports/arrest
That's quite a story. Hopefully the young man has grown up. Everyone likes a comeback story.

Found this...maybe he has turned his life around IF he was indeed found guilty of the above charges.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5121318&type=1

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 02-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Tags
go flames go! , oilers suck , prospects