Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #221
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

So proud of this team for that game... Deserved a better fate. This could be the re-awakening of a great rivalry. Also love that the flames fighters schooled the Canucks fighters. Go flames go!
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #222
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
.... the more likely that Hartley will get some punishment as well.
I really don't think Hartley will face anything past maybe a private phone call that says something along the lines of: "We know what you intended, cut it out".

I'm of the opinion that he baited Torts and the buffoon went hog-wild for it. Hartley will not be punished, and I don't believe he should be.
schteve_d is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #223
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like the media is showing the flames with the restraint. Still don't think Hartley will be disciplined.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #224
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkamedius View Post
Two things,

1. Bieksa isn't innocent.
2. Does the NHL audit whose gloves hit the ice first or just that both players have agreed to drop gloves?

In seriousness, punches were being thrown from both sides there. Tensions are high on both teams which obviously is going to result in altercations. The biggest controversy here is Torts approaching Hartley during the intermission. This isn't the first time there has been a fight at the start of the game, doubt it will be the last. Player safety is a concern, entertainment is of course another which is why I suspect the NHL hasn't provided specific rules regulating fight times with the exception of at the end of the period.
I don't think Bieksa is innocent but you don't get a pass because Bieksa skated up to take the face-off, especially when that isn't really any more odd then Westgarth taking the opening face-off.

As for #2 my guess is that they do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkamedius View Post
Very interesting..
I see number the 3 in a Canucks jersey throwing punches with I think it is Smid..?
I don;t think Smid was the one taking the face-off so when Bieksa stepped in to take the face-off it didn't mean he was going to fight as it was suggested.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #225
sergei_makarov
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The unfortunate thing here that might result (fortunate for Vancouver fans) is that it may give the team something to rally around because they'll think their coach stood up for them and got fined / suspended unjustly.

They are in the middle of a long stretch of bad hockey right now and I'd prefer they stay in that lull for another 3 weeks.
sergei_makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #226
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Kesler says hello also.
I was in a Vabcouver BP watching the game with Canuck fans. They were talking about " look at Kesler standing up for his team from the bench. Chirping all the flames players, challenging them probably." I said ... "He is beaking Jiri Hudler, the smallest guy on the team... With Kesler, that's not a coincidence."
Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #227
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I don't think Bieksa is innocent but you don't get a pass because Bieksa skated up to take the face-off, especially when that isn't really any more odd then Westgarth taking the opening face-off.

As for #2 my guess is that they do both.

I don;t think Smid was the one taking the face-off so when Bieksa stepped in to take the face-off it didn't mean he was going to fight as it was suggested.

It is actually. Westgarth takes a few faceoffs every year, Bieksa takes zero. His intention was not to go in and win the faceoff, he's a defenceman who NEVER takes them.

Clearly he had an ulterior motive, whereas there's zero evidence of that from the Flames side.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #228
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
It is actually. Westgarth takes a few faceoffs every year, Bieksa takes zero. His intention was not to go in and win the faceoff, he's a defenceman who NEVER takes them.

Clearly he had an ulterior motive, whereas there's zero evidence of that from the Flames side.
Considering he didn't fight what was his ulterior motive?

And how many FO's does Westgarth take where the actual center wasn't thrown out on? My guess is he has as many FO's to start the game in his career as Bieksa does.

Considering that Westgarth dropped his gloves there is certainly more than zero evidence from the Flames side and a lot more evidence than Bieksa having ulterior motives.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #229
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
I was in a Vabcouver BP watching the game with Canuck fans. They were talking about " look at Kesler standing up for his team from the bench. Chirping all the flames players, challenging them probably." I said ... "He is beaking Jiri Hudler, the smallest guy on the team... With Kesler, that's not a coincidence."
Both him and Burrows were beaking Jiri all night. The smallest, quietest guy on the team... Kesler and Burrows are tough dudes man, better not mess with them
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #230
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was certainly up there for game of the year. Of course the Canucks will try to play victim here. It's what they do. What I didn't like was Kassian. Out of all of that, Kassian during that game made me want to high five him in the face...with a chair. The eye gouge on Bouma and the following cheap shots while the linesman had Bouma wrapped up were the worst incidents to me in the game. Granted Bouma once he got free managed to return the favor a little bit. But still, just BS by Kassian.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #231
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
Both him and Burrows were beaking Jiri all night. The smallest, quietest guy on the team... Kesler and Burrows are tough dudes man, better not mess with them
Kesler got in 2 free gloved shots on Hudler while the linesman had Hudler tied up near the penalty boxes during one of the 1st period scrums.

Punk.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #232
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Considering he didn't fight what was his ulterior motive?

And how many FO's does Westgarth take where the actual center wasn't thrown out on? My guess is he has as many FO's to start the game in his career as Bieksa does.

Considering that Westgarth dropped his gloves there is certainly more than zero evidence from the Flames side and a lot more evidence than Bieksa having ulterior motives.
This year zero, that I know of, but in LA he was known to take a few faceoffs.

Bieksa stepping in like that sure looks like a direct challenge, in Westgarth's mind in that moment why else would he step up like that if you don't want to dance? Don't think it was Bieksa's intention, but certainly makes sense
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #233
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I think it's relevant to add to the context surrounding last night the fact that Vancouver has 3 incidents in the last week where a player received 17 minutes in penalties for dropping the gloves and throwing punches at an unwilling combatant: Sestito against LA (2:33 into a game and on his first shift), and Sestito and Hansen against Anaheim. This is a team admittedly on a mission to prove their toughness.

With that in mind, is it so unreasonable that Hartley would start a line with toughness?

The Canucks have lost all right all right to claim the moral high ground as a team that just wants to play nice, skilled hockey.

Last edited by Mike F; 01-19-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #234
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

MOD EDIT: No insults, please.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 01-19-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #235
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
John Tortorella will have an in-person hearing tomorrow in New York. Substantial fine and suspension both possible. #TSN
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #236
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: Changed my mind. I want 50 games!

30 for the incident, and an extra 20 for interrupting Martin Gelenais' enjoyment of a new piece of Juicy Fruit.

Last edited by killer_carlson; 01-19-2014 at 03:21 PM.
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to killer_carlson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #237
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

ESPN (baseball) commentator Peter Gammons lobs a grenade at the NHL over this, and the tweets back at him are hilarious....

http://www2.macleans.ca/2014/01/19/f...ss-border-ire/
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #238
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol maybe that bum should cover a actual sport.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #239
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baseball is great, but it has enough skeletons in its own closet to take care of before they claim any moral high ground.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #240
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

lol @ baseball.
schteve_d is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post: