Old 07-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #2021
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
@BlueJays:
��This Just-In! ��

Justin Smoak has been named the starting All-Star 1B for the American League!

Congratulations Justin & thank you fans! �� https://t.co/6eCloF126A
Awesome for Smoak. Who would've ever even thought he'd be our brightest spot in this huge downer of a season?? I had him totally written off.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #2022
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ain't even mad. It was a fun couple of seasons being relevant again. Like CG says there are some nice pieces likely coming. I think there are also a few nice pieces already here and our FO should be pretty solid.

I wonder if they sell JD and if they do I wonder what they could get? Probably replace a good chunk of what they lost in the Tulo and Price trades.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #2023
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I ain't even mad. It was a fun couple of seasons being relevant again. Like CG says there are some nice pieces likely coming. I think there are also a few nice pieces already here and our FO should be pretty solid.

I wonder if they sell JD and if they do I wonder what they could get? Probably replace a good chunk of what they lost in the Tulo and Price trades.
Honestly, they should sell every full time hitter they have, save Travis. I don't see a single one of these guys being part of the solution in 2-3 years and that includes Donaldson.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #2024
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, look at the Astros. They were great about 10 years ago, then they sold everything off when it was apparent that they weren't going anywhere, were crap for a couple years but made sure to invest in prospects and now they are awesome.

The Jays have the resources to spend 150 million without much difficulty. So sell off a bunch of stuff, get some good kids in there and re-invest the dollars that were moved out into both more kids and free agents.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #2025
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

SportsCentre @SportsCentre

HEADING NORTH: #BlueJays acquire catcher Miguel Montero from the #Cubs in exchange for a PTBNL or cash considerations, the club announces.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #2026
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oh, yes. Acquiring a player who thows his teammates under the bus when things don't go well is exactly what we need.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #2027
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Building something special?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #2028
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Time to tear it down and start fresh. 5 years of crap baseball heading our way, hopefully only 5 years.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #2029
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
SportsCentre @SportsCentre

HEADING NORTH: #BlueJays acquire catcher Miguel Montero from the #Cubs in exchange for a PTBNL or cash considerations, the club announces.
What is this club doing? This might make me miss AA.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #2030
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

AA? I know the team sucks right now but alcohol isn't the answer to the problems.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #2031
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the big deal? A back up catcher that can actually hit at the MLB level..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jays didn't give up anything.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #2032
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might have to take pennies on the dollar to trade guys like Martin and Tulo given their contracts. I also wouldn't trade JD now unless there's some kind of insane offer out there. Better to deal him in the offseason where you can create more of a market. Otherwise pretty much everyone else should be on the table.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #2033
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What's the big deal? A back up catcher that can actually hit at the MLB level..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jays didn't give up anything.
Still 7 million dollars left on his deal for the rest of the season, hopefully the cubs are picking up most if not all of it.

Seems like a bit of an odd move for the team that should be selling.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #2034
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they do break things up at the deadline, Stroman, Sanchez and Biagini will all be untouchable. That makes Russell nearly untouchable as well, in order to maximize their development. (And possibly Pillar, as a stellar CF can do a lot for a pitchers confidence. But in that vein, it might be good that Tulo's contract is untradeable)

If I remember correctly, Montero is a pretty good game caller, so that might be insurance to protect those three young pitchers, should the team dismantle. In the meantime, his hitting doesn't hurt.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #2035
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If they do break things up at the deadline, Stroman, Sanchez and Biagini will all be untouchable. That makes Russell nearly untouchable as well, in order to maximize their development. (And possibly Pillar, as a stellar CF can do a lot for a pitchers confidence. But in that vein, it might be good that Tulo's contract is untradeable)

If I remember correctly, Montero is a pretty good game caller, so that might be insurance to protect those three young pitchers, should the team dismantle. In the meantime, his hitting doesn't hurt.
Why will Biagini be untouchable??
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #2036
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Ken_Rosenthal: No surprise: #Cubs picking up vast majority of Montero’s ~$7M salary. Would have owed all but pro-rated minimum if they had released him.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #2037
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Why will Biagini be untouchable??
Just looking at upside, age, and potential replacement value. If we wanted to trade him, I believe that his value isn't as high as his potential. He's kind of the guy that the Jays should be looking to trade for, if they are looking for a quick turnaround of 2 to 3 years.

If they sell.

It could just be me, but I think it will take a year or two, and Biagini can be one of those solid, don't even think about them, back of the rotation guys. Trading him wouldn't produce one of those guys in return, because this (for all intents and purposes) is his first season as a major league starter, and he never had big prospect hype that would make him good value in a trade.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #2038
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Biagini would bring back equal value, so trading him wouldn't make sense, but I wouldn't call him untradable. I'm on the fence about Martin. On one hand, given he's a catcher he could probably yield a good return, but on the other hand, I wonder what effect he has on developing young pitchers? That's the part I worry about in dealing him away.

As for Montero, I don't mind him as a player, but when I heard the comments the team and management levied at him when they released him, it was pretty vitriolic. On one hand, it seemed like they were a classless organization when some in front office allegedly said they wanted Trump to break the news by saying "you're fired" at the white house visit, but on the other hand, why did they feel so unbelievably strongly against the guy? He'll never make that mistake again, but I do think he was right in that his pitchers allowed it to happen. No excuse for his crappy arm, but he was in the right on those steals.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #2039
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Pillar, Tulo and Martin all sitting today. Why? All nursing injuries?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #2040
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Pillar, Tulo and Martin all sitting today. Why? All nursing injuries?
Doesn't really matter at this point because injuries or not, they're sucking complete ass at the plate.

The Jays are such a hot mess at bat. The only ones who aren't either spinning their wheels or completely stinking it up in the batter's box are Smoak and to a lesser extent Pearce. Other than that, it's little more than a whole bunch of stinking garbage at bats.

Last edited by Karl; 07-03-2017 at 02:52 PM.