Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 12:15 PM   #21
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's probably best not to hurt the guy's feelings if it is only for a few hours. I can't imagine someone's BO being that bad that you can't put up with it for a while.

I have a friend who used to have really bad breath. Like really bad and people would recoil when talking to him and would talk about it behind his back. I eventually just told him he had bad breath and it was a problem, because it was. It became a trait that people associated with him and it was affecting his image and interpersonal relationships with people. He was pretty offended when I told him, but it did force him to go to the dentist and deal with his rotting tooth. I am still friends with him and his breath is normal now, so it was for the best.
I think being kind and direct is the best approach. Telling a friend about things like that is what friends are for.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:24 PM   #22
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's probably best not to hurt the guy's feelings if it is only for a few hours. I can't imagine someone's BO being that bad that you can't put up with it for a while.

I have a friend who used to have really bad breath. Like really bad and people would recoil when talking to him and would talk about it behind his back. I eventually just told him he had bad breath and it was a problem, because it was. It became a trait that people associated with him and it was affecting his image and interpersonal relationships with people. He was pretty offended when I told him, but it did force him to go to the dentist and deal with his rotting tooth. I am still friends with him and his breath is normal now, so it was for the best.
I had a friend who had similar issues a while back. Would always smell like rank polish sausage and onions. Just a rampant smell and everyone was laughing at him behind his back and the poor guy had no idea the gossip going on around him. Was even a running joke for a while what scent he'd have that evening.

One night we went to the old HiFi nightclub and couple girls started throwing ice at him, obviously reacting to his smell. Buddy thought it was just a joke but eventually I pulled him aside and told him straight up he stunk and asked him how he was showering because everyone had been keeping quiet about it, but he stunk. I even offered to shower with him to show him how to wash properly. He seemed a bit sad about it, but took it to heart. Next time we met he told me the cologne he buys was reacting to the material of the t-shirts he always wore and that's where the smell came from.Changed his cologne and haven't had a whiff of him since.

Sometimes people need to be told and sometimes shaming (in a "polite" way) works. If some worker showed up in my house and stunk that bad I'd 100% call him out. "Dude, did you step in dog #### or something? You smell rank". Have a chuckle about it and let him finish his work.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:41 PM   #23
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We had this happen in the workplace and said employee was dealing with customers. (lots of complaints) It seems to be a touchy subject. I know if it were me I would just wanna be told straight up (in private).

I think the best course of action is for it to be done in private and be direct.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:43 PM   #24
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ive delt with customers who had BO and employees. Sometimes its so bad you yourself can get sick from it.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:52 PM   #25
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's because I just watched the Seinfeld B.O. episode, but my worry about just letting it ride is if the smell continues living in your home afterwards. It's the beast!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 09:39 PM   #26
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I had a friend who had similar issues a while back. Would always smell like rank polish sausage and onions. Just a rampant smell and everyone was laughing at him behind his back and the poor guy had no idea the gossip going on around him. Was even a running joke for a while what scent he'd have that evening.

One night we went to the old HiFi nightclub and couple girls started throwing ice at him, obviously reacting to his smell. Buddy thought it was just a joke but eventually I pulled him aside and told him straight up he stunk and asked him how he was showering because everyone had been keeping quiet about it, but he stunk. I even offered to shower with him to show him how to wash properly. He seemed a bit sad about it, but took it to heart. Next time we met he told me the cologne he buys was reacting to the material of the t-shirts he always wore and that's where the smell came from.Changed his cologne and haven't had a whiff of him since.

Sometimes people need to be told and sometimes shaming (in a "polite" way) works. If some worker showed up in my house and stunk that bad I'd 100% call him out. "Dude, did you step in dog #### or something? You smell rank". Have a chuckle about it and let him finish his work.

You offered to shower with him.

Ummmm, that’s quite.. nice of you.

/g
Old 04-25-2024, 07:31 AM   #27
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a young man delivering furniture to my house last year who was really bad. It wasn't BO though, it was his feet. Honestly one of the most vile things I've ever smelled, his socks looked straight up moldy. It was a double delivery, where they dropped off the first load then came back with the second. When they came with the second load, I told them to just leave their shoes on as we were wrapping up reno's (thinking that was a good way to avoid the nastiness), but he politely told me that they had to take their shoes off as policy. The smell lingered after they left, I had to scrub the floors where he had walked and even then the smell stuck around for a bit. I'd take BO any day over that.

His partner (who was stuck in a delivery truck with him!) never took off his mask. At first I assumed he was being careful not to get sick but I totally get it now.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:51 AM   #28
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 02:45 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:18 PM   #30
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I think being kind and direct is the best approach. Telling a friend about things like that is what friends are for.
I’d totally joke about it.

Dude, you be smella! How many Shawarmas did you have last night?
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:33 PM   #31
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haircut every two weeks or deodorant?

We know which one he's chosen.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:26 PM   #32
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a boss for years at Costco. Man, he stank like a Buffalo rotting in the desert after a week and a half. He was STANK. He knew he was stank, too, but there just wasn't much be could do about it. The worst was when he'd come in to cover someones shift without showering. It was retch inducing. He openly talked about the rancid BO, but he had the special deodorant, and it didn't work. Like, seriously. This guy was rotten. He even laughed that in the middle of summer he had been gaming on his couch, sweating like the rotten Buffalo he is, and he decided to go to bed at like 2:00 am. He crawled into bed and his wife sat up like Michael Myers coming back to life, and she started retching, and she started yelling at him to go have a shower.

I guess the moral of my story is that some people should just live in a bubble for the benefit of their coworkers.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:58 PM   #33
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

After going to climbing competitions, where it smells like dirty feet, dirty vagine, dirty penor, dirty butthole, dirty hair and dirty airmpits all combined into a fetid combination, nothing bothers me anymore.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:11 PM   #34
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
After going to climbing competitions, where it smells like dirty feet, dirty vagine, dirty penor, dirty butthole, dirty hair and dirty airmpits all combined into a fetid combination, nothing bothers me anymore.

But you keep going?
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:15 PM   #35
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
But you keep going?
Kid's in them, so yes.