Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #41
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
After Methot was selected he couldn't be traded back to Ottawa until January 2018 I believe.
That was debunked earlier today
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/rule-cla...tially-return-
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #42
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Las Vegas is like that dude in fantasy football that makes the most lopsided trades, screwing up the rest of the league.
Or the guy playing blackjack who likes to hit 18 just to screw up the table
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #43
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the intention of the expansion draft wasn't so teams like Dallas could acquire important players off the Senators roster for less than market value (there's no way the Senators would have traded him to Dallas for only a 2nd round pick). Teams like the Senators really got jobbed by this entire ordeal. I would hope the NHL handles this sort of thing better next time they do an expansion draft as this was pretty Mickey mouse.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #44
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm pretty sure the intention of the expansion draft wasn't so teams like Dallas could acquire important players off the Senators roster for less than market value (there's no way the Senators would have traded him to Dallas for only a 2nd round pick). Teams like the Senators really got jobbed by this entire ordeal. I would hope the NHL handles this sort of thing better next time they do an expansion draft as this was pretty Mickey mouse.
What about this expansion draft, outside of the Sens losing Methot only to see him traded for a 2nd, was Mickey mouse?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #45
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
I would be pissed if I were Bettman. The NHL gave Vegas every chance to not suck but nope, they gonna suck big time.
Sure, Vegas could've selected and kept semi-decent players, been semi-competitive for a few years, and then probably be forced to tear it all down anyway to do a proper build.

Instead, now they start the build this year, but with a bonus cache of draft picks to help accelerate the process.

This league has shown over and over again that the fastest way to success is by drafting at the very top. Only an idiot GM would've went along with the plan the NHL set out for them.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
What about this expansion draft, outside of the Sens losing Methot only to see him traded for a 2nd, was Mickey mouse?
The fact that the idea was for the Golden Knights to put forth a competitive opening night roster for a non-traditional market and instead they put forth a roster designed to tank it's way to the best lottery odds. The Nashville Predators since their inception have managed to always ice a competitive team meanwhile it's been pretty dark for organizations like the Blue Jackets and Atlanta Thrashers which were not competitive for a long time and to this day have never reached anywhere close to where the Predators have. You aren't going to gain a lot of fans in a non-traditional market sucking year after year. I don't think they have a decade of good faith from fans like the Oilers to get it right. Tanking is the ugly side of the NHL and IMO it's not exactly the way you go about introducing your sport to a new market.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-26-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 PM   #47
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Vegas should have been guaranteed the highest odds for 1st overall pick for the next three years (perhaps tied with the 31st finisher). They shouldn't have any incentive to tank.

Frankly, I'd prefer they were simply awarded 1OA, 3OA, and 1OA over the next 3 years. The entire league shouldn't have any incentive to tank.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #48
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get Ottawa. They couldn't pay that to get Methot back? And why are they trying to get rid of Dion? Both were important parts of their run. Their depth chart isn't exactly teaming with experienced blue liners.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #49
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Vegas may have over-estimated the defence market. Teams know they have to trade a bunch of d-men and now the Knights are dealing from a position of weakness. I like their approach of building through the draft but some of the trades they've made have been definite head scratchers.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 PM   #50
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I just figure McPhee handed the phone over to Foley and said "you try one".
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #51
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that's all they can get for Methot, they aren't gonna get much if anything for guys like Sbisa or Emelin.

Still hoping we can get Miller from them if Stone moves on.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #52
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

I don't understand this trade at all for Vegas.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:21 PM   #53
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

McPhee seems to have little interest in puting bums in seats. If the Flames had picks to part with Treliving should get in on his overwhelming generosity. Just make him any offers, 5th in 2025 for Neil, sure sounds good Brad. Gotta go someone just offered me a sweet 7th round pick for Fluery.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 06-26-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #54
frodo_t_baggins
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The pick isn't even until 2020. They traded away a guy who would've been on their top 4 on opening night for a guy who has a ~20% chance to play for their team in 5-6 years. So dumb. If this is how Vegas wanted to do things, they should've forgone icing a team and only participated in the entry draft for the next 5 years until they were ready.
frodo_t_baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frodo_t_baggins For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #55
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why stop there, GM? What do you need Neal for? We'll take him!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #56
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
McPhee seems to have little interest in puting bums in seats.
There's enough of a honeymoon period that putting butts in the seats is never really a problem for the first year or two. The Atlanta Thrashers only won 14 games their first year and they still had the highest attendance in their entire history.

Besides, half the fans in Vegas will be there to cheer on the other team.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #57
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
There's enough of a honeymoon period that putting butts in the seats is never really a problem for the first year or two. The Atlanta Thrashers only won 14 games their first year and they still had the highest attendance in their entire history.

Besides, half the fans in Vegas will be there to cheer on the other team.
The visiting teams fans will likely out number LV fans for many seasons. Go to Vegas to get stupid and watch your team on the road.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 PM   #58
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I think Vegas should have been guaranteed the highest odds for 1st overall pick for the next three years (perhaps tied with the 31st finisher). They shouldn't have any incentive to tank.

Frankly, I'd prefer they were simply awarded 1OA, 3OA, and 1OA over the next 3 years. The entire league shouldn't have any incentive to tank.
There's an AFL expansion team here called the GWS Giants and they got a lot of pick preference in their expansion and they are now a powerhouse.

GWS were given the first selection in each round of the 2011 AFL Draft as well as selections 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 in the first round of the draft.

The 2011 Trade Week saw the Giants take part in nine trades, involving two selections in the mini-draft as well trading away players who had previously nominated for the draft in return for additional early draft selections in the 2011 AFL Draft, that resulted in them holding the first five draft selections and 11 of the first 14

I followed it just because I was curious what Vegas would do, the NHL employed a similar system for picking existing players, but didn't give draft concessions. That makes it tougher for Vegas.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:14 AM   #59
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Sure, Vegas could've selected and kept semi-decent players, been semi-competitive for a few years, and then probably be forced to tear it all down anyway to do a proper build.

Instead, now they start the build this year, but with a bonus cache of draft picks to help accelerate the process.

This league has shown over and over again that the fastest way to success is by drafting at the very top. Only an idiot GM would've went along with the plan the NHL set out for them.
Exactly

They could have picked a team to put up 85-90 points

Instead they have something like 12 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next 3 drafts

The best time to struggle is year 1-2, start year 3 with a younger exciting team and a chance to make the playoffs

You don't want to be middle of the road for 2-3 years then rebuild and maybe be ready for the playoffs in 6 years
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:21 AM   #60
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well....most of him.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: